Speed Kills

Does Speed Really "Kill?"

• I would take a faster, lighter squad in general.

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • I would take a slower but more damaging set of bruts.

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've heard this many times this offseason. Pete can't seem to stop talking about the speed of this team. In fact he has gone as far as saying that this may be the fastest Seahawks team he has coached. So what's your thoughts? Does speed trump slower but heavier, potentially more powerful players especially in the trenches?

Smellyman

Reaction score
Speed comes in too many shapes and sizes to go with an overall conclusion to vote on that poll.

Sherman, Kam, Browner and KJ were slow for their positions, but were smart good football players who played at a high football speed.

I don't care anymore what the stopwatch says. Too often it doesn't translate. Film doesn't lie, stopwatches can.

Scout

Reaction score
Speed is hard to game plan against. For example if a WR with speed on the outside can beat his man it blows up a lot of coverages and looks for the defense. Just the threat of a WR hitting the seem quickly forces the safeties to play differently. Likewise, if the defense has speed than the offense can not do much with their playbook and they start to become predictable.

The other factor with speed is that on offense it allows explosive plays. Explosive plays is how you can flip field position quickly or increase your chances of being in scoring range. Defensively speed becomes even better near the red zone due to smaller area to defend and less gaps for the offense to attack.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Speed all day because you will never hear "Slow and chubby kills"

The only thing that beats speed is technique, but its barely.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
If "Bigger, Faster, Stronger" can all be true, then you present a false dichotomy in the poll. DK seems to be one of those. But generally, it's hard to get all three.

In terms of linemen, I'd rather have someone bigger if a bit slower, but who cannot be moved out of a spot.

For a WR? No question, speed so long as he can still catch what is thrown, and run routes, too. Doug Baldwin didn't have fantastic straight line speed, but his routes were amazing, so he was often open. Largent, too.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
It can be used in a positive way and a negative way. We use it at work when people skip steps or make mistakes in haste in order to get done faster. Aaron Curry always struck me as a speed kills guy. Seemed like he was in the backfield too early most of the time and the play went by him. But Earl Thomas was a positive speed kills. He was flying sideline to sideline back there with some spectacular last second hustle plays.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I've heard this many times this offseason. Pete can't seem to stop talking about the speed of this team. In fact he has gone as far as saying that this may be the fastest Seahawks team he has coached. So what's your thoughts? Does speed trump slower but heavier, potentially more powerful players especially in the trenches?
Apparently our two rookie tackles now weigh around 320-something per Pete's press conference yesterday, so I'd say they at least present a nice combo of speed and potential power.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
So, Aros, do you see certain positions coveting speed more than others? What were your thoughts going into the poll? Inquiring minds...

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So, Aros, do you see certain positions coveting speed more than others? What were your thoughts going into the poll? Inquiring minds...

Well, I've seen teams of ours over the years which were considered "speedy" and teams considered heavier in the trenches but stifling, and of course our Championship squads of 2013-2014 which had a perfect blend of both. I'm not sure if one is better than the other, I suppose it depends on how well the scheme and coaching is working in conjunction with the type of players. Obviously you want your skilled positions to be fast (RBs, WRs, DBs, etc) but that would extend to the LBs and Edge...Hell I guess that's just a really loopdee-do way of saying teams do covet speed.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
The discussions about linemen and speed is it's own subtopic here. Different philosophies about how athletic and fast O-Line should be for pulling, getting to the 2nd level in zone blocking, etc., affect how teams value big guys in the trenches. I'll be curious to see how our newly developing line matures, and if they're known more for being unmovable statues, maulers, or athletic and speedy guys.

Chawker

Reaction score
Sometimes speed can be only part of a players ability to make a play, he has to have the "wanting ability" to make the play, or get the job done. This coupled with god blessing of speed and a good coach is what makes a special player. But not so much with the big guys, with them its power and "wanting ability" to getter done.

Cheers

scutterhawk

Reaction score
It can be used in a positive way and a negative way. We use it at work when people skip steps or make mistakes in haste in order to get done faster. Aaron Curry always struck me as a speed kills guy. Seemed like he was in the backfield too early most of the time and the play went by him. But Earl Thomas was a positive speed kills. He was flying sideline to sideline back there with some spectacular last second hustle plays.
LOL, Yeah, I still chuckle when I recall how a smaller Earl Thomas delivered a pulverizing hit on Gronk, & how hard that 300+ pound Guard went down when Kam Chancellor played THROUGH him to get into the backfield.
Also enjoyed Lockette's coverage speed on Special Teams.
In a lot of cases, Speed = better field positionings.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Speaking of speed...this is insanity... "In his playing prime, Jones went 6-foot-5, 325 pounds and ran a 4.6 40."

toffee

Reaction score

+++++++
Sub 4.3 sec
Woolen, 4.26 sec - CB
Goodwin, 4.27 sec - WR

4.3 - 4.4sec:
Metcalf, 4.33 sec - WR
Bo Melton, 4.34 sec - WR
Scott Nelson, 4.38 sec - S
Ken Walker III, 4.38 sec - RB

4.4 - 4.5 sec: