Seahawks 2022/23 Highlights thread

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
What a great thread to sticky; thanks UK!

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Sorry been a bit slack, thread now up to date. I think I have the scores the wrong way around. Home team should be last?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Sorry been a bit slack, thread now up to date. I think I have the scores the wrong way around. Home team should be last?

Yes.
In soccer in most places in the world it's HOME x VISITOR.
In U.S. sports (gridiron football, baseball, hockey, etc.), it's VISITOR vs. HOME.

That made me curious about how soccer results are presented in the U.S.A.
I just checked it and ESPN, for example, appears to follow the international standard. Benfica hosted PSG, and the score was listed with Benfica first.
Then I got curious about how MLS results are presented in the U.S.A.
I checked that and Charlotte hosted Columbus recently, and Charlotte was listed first. So ESPN follows the international standard for soccer-score reporting even when the match is MLS.

nanomoz

Reaction score
There could already be a thread of Abe Lucas pancaking people. If I get time, I'll put some of those in here.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Yes.
In soccer in most places in the world it's HOME x VISITOR.
In U.S. sports (gridiron football, baseball, hockey, etc.), it's VISITOR vs. HOME.

That made me curious about how soccer results are presented in the U.S.A.
I just checked it and ESPN, for example, appears to follow the international standard. Benfica hosted PSG, and the score was listed with Benfica first.
Then I got curious about how MLS results are presented in the U.S.A.
I checked that and Charlotte hosted Columbus recently, and Charlotte was listed first. So ESPN follows the international standard for soccer-score reporting even when the match is MLS.

I've fixed it to reflect the above.

Interestingly, or not, Google displays the fixtures as per below and I dont think that matches how it should be.... (maybe a UK search issue?)

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Because I'm currently working with sports data, I do find this kind of thing interesting, and I suspect that the order is the way you've shown it for exactly the reason you suggest: you ran the search from the UK.

Since I'm in Brazil, when I do a Google search for this week's NFL games, I get them with the teams in the same order (home first, visitor second) as you do.

But if we look at ESPN's US site, we see this:

I grew up and went to college and grad school in the USA, and I worked a few full-time jobs there too. If it weren't for that, I might have started doubting my assertion that it's typically VISITOR @ HOME in U.S. sports when I did the Google search and saw stuff in the same order. But since I grew up with the "[Visiting team] @ [Home team]" format, I realized it was giving me the home teams before the visiting teams because I was running the search from Brazil. And I immediately realized that I could just go to the U.S. edition of the ESPN web site and get things in standard U.S. order.