Ruminations on the Rams Game

Fade

Reaction score
Ruminations on the Rams Game is a post-game thread for everyone on .NET to post their thoughts (ruminations) about the game.

McVay continues to run circles around Pete. Wilson had to play out of his mind to win by 1 point in the last meeting, and Wilson played no where close to that tonight. Pete stayed in zone far too often, and Goff carved them up. It was actually quite laughable watching it, as the Rams haven't changed anything. They run outside zone, key LBers on jet sweeps, and crossers off of the boot. They should know the deal by now. When they did go man on defense they seemed to be having success, which is all the more baffling why they would go back to zone which got absolutely chewed up the whole night.

Offensively it was depressing. Wilson was having success early throwing on the 1st series, and they had a good mix of run and pass. But it was more important to establish the run, so on the second possession the Seahawks ran the ball 3 straight times and punted. That set the tone for the rest of the night, as the offense never found a rhythm after that, despite showing some nice things on the 1st possession. The Seahawks offensive line got their asses handed to them and the pocket was being collapsed right into Wilson's lap. His targets didn't consistently get open on the initial play, and the O-Line can't pass protect. Tough sledding to say the least. Wilson isn't the cheat code he once was as an escape artist, so they need to protect better. Bottom 5 pass-pro isn't going to cut it anymore. Pocic for Hunt is required, little Joey Hunt is getting pushed back into Wilson way too often. He is a nice backup, but nothing more.

As bad as it looked for most of the night, this loss was healthy. This team needed to get their asses kicked, and get some sense knocked into them. They aren't going to keep magically falling ass backwards into wins, with Wilson bailing them out. Better to lose now, rather than in the playoffs. Though they will likely do that anyway as the team is just merely slightly above average with a great QB.

PLAYER & COACHES NOTES:

*They are assisting on Aaron Donald early, I like it.

*A couple of running back screens early, again I like it. I hope Penny is okay.

*Wilson caught a run lane out of the corner of his eye, unfortunately they were stunting the LB inside, great scheming by Philips. So the Seahawks have to settle for 3.

*Run, Run, Run, Punt, Wow. Odd strategy as the passing game was having success early.

*A terrible spot by the line judge, at the very least if should have been inches, if not a 1st down outright. Pete chooses to go, which I don't have a problem with, just a shame they didn't convert. They end up getting the ball right back anyway, it will be interesting to see if he goes for it again if the situation presents itself.

*The Rams on offense have roasted the Seahawks the last 3 times they have played, going on 4. I keep waiting for Pete to have the answer. Sitting back in zone with 3 Linebackers makes no sense to me.

*Seattle is struggling to just lineup on defense on a lot of plays, baffling.

*This zone is horsecrap. Play man 2 man please. Kupp wide open in the endzone for the TD.

*Earl Tho- I mean Quandre Diggs snatched a pick 6, it appeared Seattle was finally playing man on that play. Might of been in robber, or he had deep responsibility and just felt it. He is awesome though.

*I like this. Seattle man'd up again, and brought pressure. Diggs was playing deep center, and came over to make the pick. Keep playing man please.

*Give up 20 yards on a simple check down over the middle to the the RB. Playing zone of course, just trash can it all ready, it doesn't work.

*Lockett still looks like a shell of himself. I wouldn't mind if he took a week off to see if that could revive him. They need the good Tyler Lockett if they are going to make a playoff run.

FINAL THOUGHTS

As bad as it might seem for some, Seattle still controls their destiny for the NFC West. And could still get the #1 seed even.

They have to beat CAR, AZ, and then SF.

The Seahawks would finish 13-3.
The 49ers finish 13-3 (losing both head 2 heads to the Seahawks.)

New Orleans at best can finish 13-3.

The Packers at best can finish 13-3.

So everything is right there for the Hawks to still have a special season, the schedule lines up for them quite nicely. I am interested to see how they respond to this loss, and how they play down the stretch. McVay has Pete's number and thankfully they don't have to play them again this year. (Minnesota is going to make it in over the Rams.)

A thousand things happen in a football game, and I can't point everyone of them out. This is not a soapbox post by any means, and I enjoy reading much more than I do typing. So please feel free to leave your thoughts about the game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The 3 LBs and zone just baffle me against the Rams. As you said, it's not like Pete hasn't seen this before. And then continually not being lined up and ready at snap was pathetic. Pete got his ass thoroughly outcoached tonight.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Lockett might look better if he didn't collapse into heap immediately after catching a pass. He did it on every catch tonight and if he just ran until he got tackled he would have easily picked up that early first. It looks like he is either playing scared or playing for the Greatest Show on Turf.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2c26kfzs said:
Lockett might look better if he didn't collapse into heap immediately after catching a pass. He did it on every catch tonight and if he just ran until he got tackled he would have easily picked up that early first. It looks like he is either playing scared or playing for the Greatest Show on Turf.

yeah he must be banged up or not trusting in his ability to take a hit with whatever is ailing him cause he's not chancing any contact.

olyfan63

Reaction score
This whole game looked like a vintage 2017 or 2018 loss to the Rams, with them running circles around us. OK, the 2nd half was better.

Not sure why Russ/Schotty didn't adjust better on offense. The defense actually played well enough to win, especially in the 2nd half. We kept expecting our O-Line to hold up vs. their pass rush. Then several key drops killed drives. Just a flat performance all around, coaches, key players.

Gordon was money. Didn't target him enough this game.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
THOUGHTS:

I guess they were tuckered from the Monday night Viking game? So says the SeaTimes. But really, it wasn t that arduous of a journey to LA for a late game:

The flu bug that has been a factor league wide lately is real

Lockett mos def is hurtin still, hard to say how deep tissue leg injury will play out. One of the toughest injuries to predict.

Didn t seem like the defense had any answers tonite. It s not like the Rams totally revamped their offense. You should be prepared for 60% of looks against division rivals that haven t changed personnel for 2-3 years.

MY Cheap shots:

That fumbled handoff from Rusty to CJ "glass ankles" UnProcise is a Petey foibles classic. Any time Pete gets cute it fails miserably. Just. Dont.

Officiating crews are what they are, but nice to see this game and the others today that they were fairly stingy with the hankies. As the season rolls on the Emphasis Penalties get less and less. Hooray..

Hollister got a wake up call. Nothing awesome lasts forever. Nut up, son.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1203907149182619648[/tweet]
Interesting.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
AubHawk71":hoos83z6 said:
THOUGHTS:

I guess they were tuckered from the Monday night Viking game? So says the SeaTimes. But really, it wasn t that arduous of a journey to LA for a late game:

The flu bug that has been a factor league wide lately is real

Lockett mos def is hurtin still, hard to say how deep tissue leg injury will play out. One of the toughest injuries to predict.

Didn t seem like the defense had any answers tonite. It s not like the Rams totally revamped their offense. You should be prepared for 60% of looks against division rivals that haven t changed personnel for 2-3 years.

MY Cheap shots:

That fumbled handoff from Rusty to CJ "glass ankles" UnProcise is a Petey foibles classic. Any time Pete gets cute it fails miserably. Just. Dont.

Officiating crews are what they are, but nice to see this game and the others today that they were fairly stingy with the hankies. As the season rolls on the Emphasis Penalties get less and less. Hooray..

Hollister got a wake up call. Nothing awesome lasts forever. Nut up, son.

Good stuff. Keep it comin'.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Fade":3mwjcpyq said:
Ruminations on the Rams Game is a post-game thread for everyone on .NET to post their thoughts (ruminations) about the game.

McVay continues to run circles around Pete. Wilson had to play out of his mind to win by 1 point in the last meeting, and Wilson played no where close to that tonight. Pete stayed in zone far too often, and Goff carved them up. It was actually quite laughable watching it, as the Rams haven't changed anything. They run outside zone, key LBers on jet sweeps, and crossers off of the boot. They should know the deal by now. When they did go man on defense they seemed to be having success, which is all the more baffling why they would go back to zone which got absolutely chewed up the whole night.

Offensively it was depressing. Wilson was having success early throwing on the 1st series, and they had a good mix of run and pass. But it was more important to establish the run, so on the second possession the Seahawks ran the ball 3 straight times and punted. That set the tone for the rest of the night, as the offense never found a rhythm after that, despite showing some nice things on the 1st possession. The Seahawks offensive line got their asses handed to them and the pocket was being collapsed right into Wilson's lap. His targets didn't consistently get open on the initial play, and the O-Line can't pass protect. Tough sledding to say the least. Wilson isn't the cheat code he once was as an escape artist, so they need to protect better. Bottom 5 pass-pro isn't going to cut it anymore. Pocic for Hunt is required, little Joey Hunt is getting pushed back into Wilson way too often. He is a nice backup, but nothing more.

As bad as it looked for most of the night, this loss was healthy. This team needed to get their asses kicked, and get some sense knocked into them. They aren't going to keep magically falling ass backwards into wins, with Wilson bailing them out. Better to lose now, rather than in the playoffs. Though they will likely do that anyway as the team is just merely slightly above average with a great QB.

PLAYER & COACHES NOTES:

*Wilson caught a run lane out of the corner of his eye, unfortunately they were stunting the LB inside, great scheming by Philips. So the Seahawks have to settle for 3.

*Run, Run, Run, Punt, Wow. Odd strategy as the passing game was having success early.

*A terrible spot by the line judge, at the very least if should have been inches, if not a 1st down outright. Pete chooses to go, which I don't have a problem with, just a shame they didn't convert. They end up getting the ball right back anyway, it will be interesting to see if he goes for it again if the situation presents itself.

*The Rams on offense have roasted the Seahawks the last 3 times they have played, going on 4. I keep waiting for Pete to have the answer. Sitting back in zone with 3 Linebackers makes no sense to me.

*This zone is horsecrap. Play man 2 man please. Kupp wide open in the endzone for the TD.

*Earl Tho- I mean Quandre Diggs snatched a pick 6, it appeared Seattle was finally playing man on that play. Might of been in robber, or he had deep responsibility and just felt it. He is awesome though.

*I like this. Seattle man'd up again, and brought pressure. Diggs was playing deep center, and came over to make the pick. Keep playing man please.

*Give up 20 yards on a simple check down over the middle to the the RB. Playing zone of course, just trash can it all ready, it doesn't work.

*Lockett still looks like a shell of himself. I wouldn't mind if he took a week off to see if that could revive him. They need the good Tyler Lockett if they are going to make a playoff run.

FINAL THOUGHTS

As bad as it might seem for some, Seattle still controls their destiny for the NFC West. And could still get the #1 seed even.

So everything is right there for the Hawks to still have a special season, the schedule lines up for them quite nicely. I am interested to see how they respond to this loss, and how they play down the stretch. McVay has Pete's number and thankfully they don't have to play them again this year. (Minnesota is going to make it in over the Rams.)

A thousand things happen in a football game, and I can't point everyone of them out. This is not a soapbox post by any means, and I enjoy reading much more than I do typing. So please feel free to leave your thoughts about the game.

I agree with everything written here . Hunt is a liability and losing Penny is a big loss. 0-line was trash . The good news is it's just one game win next week we secure a playoff spot win out and were the number one seed.

tersal

Reaction score
Fade":25rpxpl7 said:

PLAYER & COACHES NOTES:

FINAL THOUGHTS

Great insight as always. The Rams are a horrible match up for the Seahawks, the earlier season win was Wilson making play after play many when the pass protection failed. This team is still rebuilding though most likely ahead of schedule. Have to develop a better pass rush and finally fix the never ending pass protection problems.
Still the team can catch lightning in a bottle and win the Super bowl. Finally the Rams have cap issues their run is over after this year.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I never thought the team was 'in the moment' for the game they seemed to be unable to finish all game, something was missing. I never got a sense they could get back into the game once behind by 2 scores. Thankfully they have two games where they can get healthy for big finale and fix a few things.

Didn't like to see them so vulnerable to a hurry up O. RW needed to have some quick hitting routes to back off their pass rush and we needed one to rattle Goff who they made look like an actually good QB.

10-3 with 3 to go and now only 2 conference Ls with one being a divisional L. They still control their destiny and can take the 1 spot with wins in their final 3 games. Carolina one the road then home cooking for to final games.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just one of those nights where you just don't have it. Outcoached and outplayed. Pretty rare for this team in a prime time game. But hats off to the Rams, there were damn good last night. The Hawks still control their own destiny, so there is plenty to be accomplished. One clunker doesn't change that. They are 10-3 w/it all in front of them.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Missed out on commenting positively about the Seahawks defensive player of the game FS- Quandre Diggs he sure played his ass off last night and looked like ET at times. I know why Pete/JS scooped him up as a quickly as they did.

xray

Reaction score
The 10-2 record looked inflated by the performance of the Hawks in this game . The OL was as usual unable to protect Wilson giving up 5 sacks and 11 more hits . Other the Diggs ; the D looked outmatched from stem to stern . The coaching battle was easily won by the Rams too . This is the time of the season when the playoff bound teams are hitting on all cylinders with their foot on the gas peddle . The Hawks ; in this game looked like a team still trying to figure out how to shore up the weak areas of their game . IMO

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
For what was at stake, the team and coaching (save a few like Diggs) seemed so uninspired.

I thought it would be the opposite and they'd be working toward the top spot and a bye for the playoffs.

The Rams on the other hand, played their butts off knowing they would be on the outside it they lost.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, one clunker and they are now the Bengals, right xray :lol:
Relax, it's a joke. They got smoked, doesn't mean they are all the sudden a farce.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
xray":2t2nb0rj said:
The 10-2 record looked inflated by the performance of the Hawks in this game . The OL was as usual unable to protect Wilson giving up 5 sacks and 11 more hits . Other the Diggs ; the D looked outmatched from stem to stern . The coaching battle was easily won by the Rams too . This is the time of the season when the playoff bound teams are hitting on all cylinders with their foot on the gas peddle . The Hawks ; in this game looked like a team still trying to figure out how to shore up the weak areas of their game . IMO
Did you become a fan in 2014? I ask because in 2013, the 2nd to last game of the regular season against Arizona AT HOME the Seahawks shit the bed and lost before going on to win the Super Bowl.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Fade":fuvdc4zs said:
....McVay continues to run circles around Pete. Wilson had to play out of his mind to win by 1 point in the last meeting, and Wilson played no where close to that tonight. Pete stayed in zone far too often, and Goff carved them up. It was actually quite laughable watching it, as the Rams haven't changed anything. They run outside zone, key LBers on jet sweeps, and crossers off of the boot. They should know the deal by now. When they did go man on defense they seemed to be having success, which is all the more baffling why they would go back to zone which got absolutely chewed up the whole night......
This is by far the most concerning thing about last night. Hawks have lost 5 of the last 6 to the Rams and none of the losses have been been close yet the approach does not change.

Polk738

Reaction score
-I can SOMETIMES understand having all 3 LBs out there if Kendricks is playing but I really didn't understand it with Barton, they did hold Gurley to 3.4 YPC but I highly doubt that was because of Barton, this is where not having Kam really bones this team.

-I really don't understand why Pete doesn't want to play more man defense now with Diggs in the lineup, I think Griffin is talented enough to keep up with most number 1 receivers, but they still might've gotten out schemed on most plays, that double crossing route in the first quarter to Robert Woods was nasty and pure genius.

-Russ was missing some big time wide open throws to DK, I counted at least 2 there might've been more

-Secondary is still having communication issues on what coverages they are playing it looks like.

-OL is not good enough for long developing play action, it baffles me they still think this with Joey Hunt at center who is pretty much just a traffic cone to Aaron Donald, however I'm wondering if Pete doesn't want a quick passing game because of batted balls, they got lucky with one tonight.

Special Teams nearly put the cherry on the shit sandwich again tonight, with David Moore thinking he doesn't have to fair catch with someone right in his face.

Prosise is god awful, I would so rather see Homer in that spot an Prosise inactivated for the rest of the season.