Ravens put NON-EXCLUSIVE tag on Lamar

Lagartixa

Reaction score

The 49ers don't have a first-round pick in 2023, and they've got a load of players who are coming due for contract extensions. Even if they had the first-round picks to offer (I've never looked carefully, so I don't know if the two first-rounders have to be in the current and following year, but that would make some sense), they're already going to have to make some tough choices about who stays and who goes, and throwing Jackson into that (and giving him his extension before the guys who have been on the team get theirs 😬) would make it a lot harder. I guess there's a chance the Santa Clara front office would decide there's a better path to a Super Bowl with Jackson at QB and a different set of soon-to-be free agents re-signed, but I think it's very unlikely Jackson's going to the 49ers. I don't think it would be likely even if the 49ers had the picks.

There is a way the 49ers or any other team that doesn't have a 2023 first-round pick could get Jackson: negotiate a sign-and-trade with Jackson and the Ravens. Jackson would sign the franchise tag, and the acquiring team could give the Ravens a different package instead of the 2023 and 2024 first-round picks the non-exclusive franchise tag would require for a team to get Jackson if the Ravens didn't match an offer from that team.

Of course, the market for Jackson would have to be pretty weak for the 49ers to be able to offer a package strong enough to get the Ravens to do this, unless the 49ers were to include one or more players in the deal. I doubt there's much overlap between the players the Ravens would want and the ones the 49ers would be willing to give up.

I still don't think the 49ers are going to even try to get Jackson, much less actually get him, but it's not impossible due to the rules on the non-exclusive franchise tag, like @FortWorthSeahawk and I initially thought it was.

Last edited:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I dont think teams will go down that road..maybe Washington?? Lamar is a great athlete with great running ability. However he is as sub par as it gets when having to throw the ball. Teams that want to win need a qb who can actually play qb. When Lamar's legs go the decline will be fast.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Collusion by owners regarding the Jackson FT? That’s a reach. Tell me how many playoff games Lamar has won. Tell me about his injury history. Teams are figuring out it’s better to sign average to above average quarterbacks with budget deals like Geno with the flexibility to build around and piece together a Super Bowl roster to compete

Torc

Reaction score
This is either going to be validation for Lamar when some team gives up enough to get him, or a good wakeup call. I just don't want to hear 'racism' if no one signs him immediately (I'm looking at you, Shannon Sharpe). I can't blame a team for not being willing to give up 2 first rounders and guaranteeing 200 million bucks for a player who you can't rely on being on your active roster at the end of the year.

The QB market is crazy and stupid. So much of the cap invested in a single player, all your eggs in one basket. It's basically a guarantee of missing the playoffs if that one player misses significant time.

Jville

Reaction score
Why doesn't Lamar just hire an experienced agent that understands the art of negotiation?

Jville

Reaction score
As a precedent, the Broncos suffered from an imported contagion.

Could it be a reactionary attempt to avoid a feared contagion?

Perhaps teams have their own unique vision of how they want to build a team.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't think there's any collusion. Lamar has had some injuries and plays with a physical style that is susceptible to them. He also wants a fully guaranteed contract into his 30s. A few teams could be desperate enough to do that, but adding two first picks on top makes it a questionable move from the perspective of long-term team building.

It's a win-win for the Ravens in my book. Either Lamar realizes that his asking price is too high and they get him back at a reasonable figure, or they get a couple of first round picks back without the associated negative PR if some other team does overpay him.

James in PA

Reaction score
The stupid-ass incompetent Cleveland Browns are the ones who started this whole mess with that ridiculous guaranteed contract for a a QB with a ton of baggage. Ya can't blame Lamar for being pissed about getting less than DW. The fact that he's in the same division really pours salt on the wound.

QWERTY

Reaction score
The stupid-ass incompetent Cleveland Browns are the ones who started this whole mess with that ridiculous guaranteed contract for a a QB with a ton of baggage. Ya can't blame Lamar for being pissed about getting less than DW. The fact that he's in the same division really pours salt on the wound.
LOL blame it on a different team. If Lamar was available, the Browns would gladly take his contract and give him guaranteed money.

Money talks and Lamar thinks the Ravens will give him what he wants in the end anyways. Just like Daniel Jones and the Giants, the Giants will either get a new QB with no knowledge, or bet on Daniel Jones improving and making it past playoffs.

As I said before the Ravens screwed up and tagged Lamar, all of their pieces like Ben Powers and their secondary are going to be fleeced.

Own The West

Reaction score
Curious how the two firsts compensation works. Can a LV, ATL, CAR trade down, pick up an additional future first and basically get a 26 year old, MVP QB for a top 10 pick?

And what about GB shipping off Arod, and giving up two late firsts for Jackson at basically the same money? That would be a baller reload for them. Farve --> Rodgers --> Jackson...

QWERTY

Reaction score
Curious how the two firsts compensation works. Can a LV, ATL, CAR trade down, pick up an additional future first and basically get a 26 year old, MVP QB for a top 10 pick?

And what about GB shipping off Arod, and giving up two late firsts for Jackson at basically the same money? That would be a baller reload for them. Farve --> Rodgers --> Jackson...
If LV ATL CAR trade down and pick up a 1st round pick yes they can use those 2 1st round picks for Lamar.

If CAR, LV , ATL offers Lamar now, it will be 2023 and 2024.

QWERTY

Reaction score
So for someone like Dolphins, Rams, or even the Niners that gives away their 1st round picks, they would do it, but they all don't have the CAP to do it.

flv2

Reaction score

Players must be signed to an offer sheet by the acquiring team. If the original team declines to match the offer the acquiring team is required to give up the compensation as set out in the CBA. For picks in a specified round the acquiring team must give up its own pick in that round or a higher pick in the first upcoming NFL Draft. As I understand it in the case of multiple picks for the same round the team must give up its own pick or higher picks in that round in each of the 2 following NFL Drafts. It doesn't need to have its own pick and a better pick in the upcoming Draft. Thus - if the Rams wanted to sign Jackson to an offer sheet they would need to own any of the top 6 overall picks in the 2023 NFL Draft and their own pick in the 2024 NFL Draft before they could make Jackson an offer. The Rams could not trade up from #36 to #31 and use that pick.

2020 CBA Article 9 Section 3 Paragraph C:
"Any Club that does not have available, in the upcoming Draft, the selection choice or choices (its own or better choices in the applicable rounds) needed to provide Draft Choice Compensation in the event of a timely First Refusal Exercise Notice may not sign an Offer Sheet in such circumstances."

...and it's Favre damn it!

Last edited: