Peter King interviews Geno

Lagartixa

Reaction score
That was worth reading. And I have to admit I was a little surprised, because I'm not much of a fan of King.

Smith, as quoted in that article, with a little boldface emphasis added by me:
You ask me what am I focused on during the week. Playing hard, doing what I’m coached to do. It’s that simple. I don’t think about failure. My thought process is I need to run on the field with my linemen and play just as hard as they’re playing and do exactly what I’m coached to do and then let my talent take over after that. It’s that simple in my mind.

Our success so far starts with the trust and belief of our head coach. Not many coaches would start two rookies on the offensive line, a rookie running back, two rookie cornerbacks. Not many coaches would be comfortable starting a quarterback who hasn’t played in many years. But Pete does it because he knows what he’s looking at. He’s played young guys before, lots of times. He’s taken chances on players, lots of time. He knows how to coach ball. You can see that this year.

Smith still feels he can play better than he has so far, but he gives Pete Carroll the credit for the success Smith, the team, and we fans have enjoyed so far this season.

But I'm sure the .NET Eeyores understand what's really going on better than Smith himself does :rolleyes:

Boohman14

Reaction score
Geno's just a placeholder right? I guess he didn't get the memo. After the Charger game he's totally won me over. I'm done reading Wilson posts and caring what's happening to Wilson. I just want the Donkeys to lose so our drat capital is high. Geno has a big time arm, accuracy, and ability to extend plays that have a chance and give up on one's that just don't. The stats don't lie and the team has his back. This is a fun team to watch and root for. It's a great time to be a Seahawk fan.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more about Geno. He's just a damn solid QB who doesn't do a lot of stupid stuff. Those 3rd down conversions yesterday were nails. Especially the 3rd and long after that pathetic "false start" call. Then he had that fire. Shoot, even Pete had to chill him out. Love it. Keep it rolling Geno.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It kind of makes you wonder why guys like Geno don't get a second chance. And some guys get far more chances than they deserve (Brock Osweiler comes to mind).

Geno played pretty well in relief of Wilson last year. But no one really took an interest. Oh well, their loss, our gain.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Seeing this headline, thought it read King Geno.

This is his revenge tour. Beat the Chargers? Check. Giants up next. Then Jets later this season.

acer1240

Reaction score

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
I feel like the universe is often trying to remind me of a simple lesson: It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it.

Geno Smith is a textbook example of this. To have flamed out of a given opportunity to start in the NFL, its difficult not to categorize that as a failure of oneself. To spend the better part of the next decade bouncing around the league as a backup, it would have been easy to become jaded and disenfranchised. It would have been easy to just hold a clipboard and cash your check. Instead, Geno turned every one of those stumbling blocks into stepping stones. He treated each one of those roster stops as an opportunity to learn. An opportunity to assimilate a stronger skill set.

It takes an incredible amount of character, class, grit and determination to continue to show up day in and day out. To continue to improve and prepare for a moment that is in no way shape or form guaranteed to come. And to be ready to grab on with both hands and not let go when that moment finally does come.

I'm glad King decided to print Geno's stream-of-consciousness paragraphs in full. They were incredibly cogent and real. They were a glimpse through a window into a man's depth of intelligence, depth, and maturity. I'm a fan of Geno Smith the football player. But today, I became a much larger fan of Geno Smith the human.