Okay - seriously. WTF is the global plan here.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I think there are clear elements.

1) Move to a 3-4 defense capable of more man coverage.
2) Preserve 2023 Cap Space
3) Maintain certain leader voices (Diggs, Dissly)

And I think that is the best you can do in this situation. Now it's about keeping tabs on certain Free Agents like Geno, Shell and Brown. None of which you're going to over commit to but are nice-to-haves.

For now, they are probably trying to bait a ransom for DK and gathering as much draft intel as possible.

Not much they can do until the draft is complete. Who they come out with depends on how 31 other teams navigate the draft.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Global plan is for people to complain and moan about every last thing the Hawks do. Rinse and repeat.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Most likely training camp.

Some of our best players in the draft, often are not apparent until TC. And, we tend to overweight the impact of the early picks.

So we can wait until then. Some people feel it makes sense to give them the benefit of the doubt and some feel after 5 going on 6 years of treading water there is no reason to expect much change.

Right now, we should expect to be at the bottom of our division and likely near the bottom of our conference. But Pete will play TyBall and likely eke us to a .500 record. Maybe. This year is probably a wash. We should be doing our best to stockpile draft picks for later and free up cap space once we have some decent draft picks panning out.

Yes Pete gets credit for succeeding in the past. That was 10 years ago.

He hasn't succeeded since though. So the first 5 years is giving time because with peaks come valleys. But the trend is downward. We used to lose after the wildcard game. Then we missed a playoff game. Now it looks like we are regularly going to miss playoff games. And finally, we are probably going to end up near the bottom of our division if not the conference.

Not great in terms of where the numbers are going or what the future looks like. But we don't have much choice but to hope the outcome is better than what it look like it will be or where the numbers have been heading.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
You knew it was the first year of a rebuild, yet demand instant gratification before the first draft of this (supposedly expected) rebuild?

That's bold. Seems like you've set yourself up for torment.
Well, actually - i wasn't demanding 'instant' gratification - just 'any'! Do SOMETHING!

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
With the Division they play in, I'm having a hard time seeing 8 wins.

-----------
To the OP:

Pete's plan is keep doin' what their doin'. Business as usual minus a Franchise QB based on how they've handled Free Agency so far.

Pete laid it out in his presser a few weeks ago. He's not adapting to the modern NFL, but doubling down on his beliefs on what wins football games.

Despite the diminishing returns it has wrought.

All they need to do now is trade down and out of the draft taking a "who the hell is this guy!" With their 1st pick.

And this off-season will suddenly be eerily similar to the previous 8 off-seasons.
I hope not - but you are correct - history and hubris are repeating themselves!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Well, actually - i wasn't demanding 'instant' gratification - just 'any'! Do SOMETHING!
I mean, they signed a pretty good player with upside in Nwosu, a decent interior lineman in Blythe, overhauled the defensive staff and hired several talented coaches on that side of the ball as they undergo a scheme shift.

How is this nothing? What are you wanting?

It's the pre-draft lull. Happens every single year.

Fade

Reaction score
What year is it?

It's been the same off-season year after year, a man possibly couldn't keep track of 'em all.

Overpay JAGs using up the cap, whiff on a bunch of picks, JAGs play over the young players, they never really develop. Rinse and repeat.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I think there are clear elements.

1) Move to a 3-4 defense capable of more man coverage.
2) Preserve 2023 Cap Space
3) Maintain certain leader voices (Diggs, Dissly)

And I think that is the best you can do in this situation. Now it's about keeping tabs on certain Free Agents like Geno, Shell and Brown. None of which you're going to over commit to but are nice-to-haves.

For now, they are probably trying to bait a ransom for DK and gathering as much draft intel as possible.

Not much they can do until the draft is complete. Who they come out with depends on how 31 other teams navigate the draft.
I think you're about right.

Just don't want to wait the year for the big stuff/cap to free up i guess.

I was in denial, and just assumed before BWagz was done that we'd 'insert QB here' and kinda carry on - just with more completions on the underneath routes ;) ;) So, I guess my problem is with 'full' rebuild and not retool.

But, c'est la vie I suppose.

2026 look the **** out!!!!! Here we come! I like Fade's take on the 'need more time' perpetually during these stints ;) New QB? Give it a year? New D or O line? Give them a year to gel. New Receivers and TEs? They need a year to show progress ;)

Guess I'll wait a year!

Fade

Reaction score
I think you're about right.

Just don't want to wait the year for the big stuff/cap to free up i guess.

I was in denial, and just assumed before BWagz was done that we'd 'insert QB here' and kinda carry on - just with more completions on the underneath routes ;) ;) So, I guess my problem is with 'full' rebuild and not retool.

But, c'est la vie I suppose.

2026 look the **** out!!!!! Here we come! I like Fade's take on the 'need more time' perpetually during these stints ;) New QB? Give it a year? New D or O line? Give them a year to gel. New Receivers and TEs? They need a year to show progress ;)

Guess I'll wait a year!
You gotta give 'em more time!!!!

Wait 'til next year…

hoxrox

Reaction score
They weren't winning a SB with Russ this year or next year, so a "rebuild" was the only path forward. They can fail spectacularly or they have a chance to succeed in the next 2-3 years. With Russ they weren't going deep into the playoffs either way... but at least now they have a chance to do so in 2-3 years with a proper rebuild.

If anyone was expecting instant results this coming season, temper your expectations or expect to be disappointed.

This coming season, expect 7-10ish.
2023, lose in the playoffs.
2024, they have a chance to contend for championship IF they rebuild this thing right. (Big IF, I know)

That's the best fans can hope for at this point. Jody isn't firing Pete until the team can be sold, which can't happen until at least 2025.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
You gotta give 'em more time!!!!

Wait 'til next year…
I mean, Pete is the coach and John’s the GM regardless of how we feel right?

Only time is going to prove whether they’re wrong or right. Might as well try and guess what they’re doing.

sdog1981

Reaction score
They are going to attempt to build a defense and have an offense that is "just good enough" to win.

Will the plan work? Unlikely.

Is this the plan? Appears so.

Fade

Reaction score
I mean, Pete is the coach and John’s the GM regardless of how we feel right?

Only time is going to prove whether they’re wrong or right. Might as well try and guess what they’re doing.
Oh… You don't have to guess. It's a re-pete. They pretty much do the same thing every year expecting a different result, and then act surprised when it doesn't. They then have their off-season meeting and decide to try it again, "It'll work this time"!

They've had the last 7 seasons (When the talent on the roster really started dipping) 2016 - To present: to prove whether they're wrong or right. They've failed.

So the guys who've ran the team into the ground, are the ones who get the privilege to rebuild it?

Someone or both should've been fired by now. Regardless of the decision to keep or trade Wilson.
These guys have not shown anything for a long time, now going on a decade of data to prove they've either fallen off, or 2010-2012 was just a fluke. The franchise has no accountability, and bad ownership. The worst combo.

-Ken Norton got to be the DC for 4 seasons! The one positive from this was watching people defend that D$ scheme, exposing their low football IQ, so I know who to ignore and not pay any mind. Which reminds me, I need to dig up some of those KN threads and have a laugh.

-Sold the farm for Jamal Adams, only got a little bit more back when trading Wilson. Essentially swapping Jamal Adams for Russell Wilson + a 2nd, Whoopee.

-Haven't had a good Free Agent class since 2013.

-Haven't really nailed a draft since 2012. Maybe 2020? Need another year to confirm. Regardless, too many vapid drafts up to that point to give them a pat on the ass.

-Refused to significantly invest in the O-Line for the majority of 10 seasons to protect the Franchise QB. Other teams pay their QB, and go heavy on investment on O-Line and weapons. Not Pete, choosing to blow it on Safeties, LBer's, and JAGs. Because dominant D-Lines and O-Lines don't win Superbowls, apparently. LBer's, Safeties, and JAGs do.
TLDR version- Poor roster construction.

-Refused to get a significant offensive mind to work with Wilson early on to help foster his development. There isn't a salary cap for coaches, Pete never got the memo, or he is just that bad at hiring assistants. Keeping Ken Norton as DC for so long might confirm this.

-Finally, let's just say JS pulls the rabbit out of the hat and hits on another Franchise QB in the draft in the next 13 Months. They will need to fire Pete and bring in an offensive head coach to foster his development, or standby and watch Pete retarD his development instead. Wilson was a unicorn, given his unique skill set, and 5 years of college in pro-style offenses. (About as finished a product ever coming out in college football history.)

Thanks Jody for keeping the status quo! Just need to give 'em a little more time!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete has ALWAYS been bad at hiring coaches.

But yes, it would be fun to laugh at the Norton defenders....because you know, 'Pete was really the guy doing the defense' which would be even more hilarious if it were true.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
To be fair though almost every player that reaches FA is considered vetted.

However seems to me Seahawks signed , re-signed, or acquired more upside vs established veterans:

Upside Additions: TE Fant (24), QB Lock (25), RB Penny (26), TE Dissly (25) plus OLB Nwosu (25), ILB Iyiegbuniwe (26), CB Jones (25), CB Burns (26).

Established Vet Additions: OL Blythe plus FS Diggs, DL Harris, Woods, Jefferson, and CB Coleman

Not to mention the meat and potatoes of this roster will likely be built and fortified through the next 2-3 drafts and next 2-3 free agencies but more centralized around 2023 with a deeper pocket of cap space and multiple premium draft picks to spend.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Russ raised the floor on how bad they could possibly be by being a very good QB. But his pay relative to being a very good pro bowl QB rather than an all -pro calibre QB, and his high variance style of play, put a ceiling on how good they could be without being the beneficiary of a historically great defense.

Pete and John represent the highest variance of outcomes. The lowest of the low floors (possibly 2022); but also the highest potential ceiling if they can redo 2010-13 all over again. Fail spectacularly or win big. Failing or anything in the middle probably gets them canned after the '24 season.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The franchise has no accountability, and bad ownership. The worst combo.

-Ken Norton got to be the DC for 4 seasons!

-Sold the farm for Jamal Adams, only got a little bit more back when trading Wilson. Essentially swapping Jamal Adams for Russell Wilson + a 2nd, Whoopee.

Thanks Jody for keeping the status quo! Just need to give 'em a little more time!

This is the real story of the current Seahawks. They are moving into the Mike Brown, Jimmy Haslam, Stephen Ross territory of incompetent ownership.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is the real story of the current Seahawks. They are moving into the Mike Brown, Jimmy Haslam, Stephen Ross territory of incompetent ownership.
No, they're not, and you've clearly never even put yourself in the shoes of the fans of those teams if you claim the situations to be comparable.

It's not ideal, but this ownership group aren't actively bumbling meddlers who ensure decades of futility.

They're not the savior type that Paul Allen was, but to compare them to the Haslam and Ross families, not to mention Mike Brown prior to him coming around a bit recently is... sheesh.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Oh… You don't have to guess. It's a re-pete. They pretty much do the same thing every year expecting a different result, and then act surprised when it doesn't. They then have their off-season meeting and decide to try it again, "It'll work this time"!

They've had the last 7 seasons (When the talent on the roster really started dipping) 2016 - To present: to prove whether they're wrong or right. They've failed.

So the guys who've ran the team into the ground, are the ones who get the privilege to rebuild it?

Someone or both should've been fired by now. Regardless of the decision to keep or trade Wilson.
These guys have not shown anything for a long time, now going on a decade of data to prove they've either fallen off, or 2010-2012 was just a fluke. The franchise has no accountability, and bad ownership. The worst combo.

-Ken Norton got to be the DC for 4 seasons! The one positive from this was watching people defend that D$ scheme, exposing their low football IQ, so I know who to ignore and not pay any mind. Which reminds me, I need to dig up some of those KN threads and have a laugh.

-Haven't had a good Free Agent class since 2013.

-Haven't really nailed a draft since 2012. Maybe 2020? Need another year to confirm. Regardless, too many vapid drafts up to that point to give them a pat on the ass.

-Refused to significantly invest in the O-Line for the majority of 10 seasons to protect the Franchise QB. Other teams pay their QB, and go heavy on investment on O-Line and weapons. Not Pete, choosing to blow it on Safeties, LBer's, and JAGs. Because dominant D-Lines and O-Lines don't win Superbowls, apparently. LBer's, Safeties, and JAGs do.
TLDR version- Poor roster construction.

-Refused to get a significant offensive mind to work with Wilson early on to help foster his development. There isn't a salary cap for coaches, Pete never got the memo, or he is just that bad at hiring assistants. Keeping Ken Norton as DC for so long might confirm this.

-Finally, let's just say JS pulls the rabbit out of the hat and hits on another Franchise QB in the draft in the next 13 Months. They will need to fire Pete and bring in an offensive head coach to foster his development, or standby and watch Pete retarD his development instead. Wilson was a unicorn, given his unique skill set, and 5 years of college in pro-style offenses. (About as finished a product ever coming out in college football history.)

She's a middle aged woman who is handling her dead brothers estate.

Why do you think she should involve herself more in personnel decisions?

Pants-on-head flaming lunacy. You can disagree with football decisions without going to the insane fringe of "Hello, Ms. Allen, who has little interest in sports or running a sports team but must because your brother died, at least until you find a seller. Make football decisions!"

Common sense.