Official: Kyle Shanahan says 49ers have moved on to Trey Lance

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Are they keeping Jimmy as backup?

I don’t think so with his salary.

Frankly, hes not released because 9ers are afraid JG will become a Seahawk. That seems to be the only reason they are keeping him until mid august. After that I imagine 9ers think we will roll with one of our two subpar options.

flv2

Reaction score
The 49ers don't have to do anything until the 53-man roster cut down. At that point they're expected to release Garoppolo. They've told Garoppolo he's free to find a new team with a new contract and they'll trade him early for what would likely be a nominal pick. They'd be within their rights to exclude the Seahawks from that position but they might be ok with helping the Seahawks just to get something back. It's not impossible the 49ers re-negotiate a lower price with Garoppolo, (maybe $9-12M), for him to stay.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Good. He was their best quarterback. They’ll struggle with Trey “EJ Manuel” Lance

94Smith

Reaction score
Probably will struggle with Lance initially and then after that it will be either boom or bust.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Probably will struggle with Lance initially and then after that it will be either boom or bust.
Many project bust. Let’s face it he looked horrible in spot duty last year. Jittery in the pocket, indecisive, inaccurate, zero awareness and he hasn’t really caught up to the speed of this level. North Dakota State doesn’t exactly play at a level conducive of getting guys NFL ready. It’s basically a step above Jucco ball

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
That’s what you get for drafting a project. He’s a good athlete? At this level everyone is a good athlete. You should’ve held onto those picks and just rolled with Jimmy and then drafted a quarterback next year when it’ll be a draft loaded with QB talent

94Smith

Reaction score
Many project bust. Let’s face it he looked horrible in spot duty last year. Jittery in the pocket, indecisive, inaccurate, zero awareness and he hasn’t really caught up to the speed of this level. North Dakota State doesn’t exactly play at a level conducive of getting guys NFL ready. It’s basically a step above Jucco ball
last game was his best game, which is promising

94Smith

Reaction score
That’s what you get for drafting a project. He’s a good athlete? At this level everyone is a good athlete. You should’ve held onto those picks and just rolled with Jimmy and then drafted a quarterback next year when it’ll be a draft loaded with QB talent
You're doubling down on Jimmy now. Kind of funny considering Seattle is a prime landing spot. Lets not forget Lance's draft was a draft "loaded with QB talent" , and 2022 draft was a QB light draft. 49ers decided to make the move earlier and I am ok with that. We'll see what will happen this year. If Lance flames out they will be in a position to draft again in 2024.

Scout

Reaction score
Given how the 49ers offense operates Lance may end up being an upgrade long term. Short term it is hard to tell because of limited game time Lance has had. But I will say this about Lance and that is he looked a lot better than I anticipated.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
hah. Your QBs are proven commodities. Lance is an unknown
I disagree. Lock is not a proven commodity. Not with the lack of coaching/continuity he played under at Denver. You are correct about Lance being an unknown. Having played 19 FCS games in college makes him an unknown. Carson Wentz had a better collegiate career at North Dakota St.

GemCity

Reaction score
They drafted him primarily based on raw potential. He’s had time to develop. The fact that they’re moving on from Jimmy G…should at least spark some notion that Trey is better…right now.

Lock better than Lance? We’ll see. I’d bet against that. And I think it won’t even be close.

toffee

Reaction score
Shanahan is all in on Lance, he is putting his reputation on the line for this kid. A wow moment for me.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Geno is our guy for this year. I’m comfortable with that given he’ll go into week 1 having had time in the preseason to get reps in with the first unit. Lock is just a backup