Monday Round-Up: GM John Schneider Ranked Among NFL's Best Draft Day Traders

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I read that. So, based on a Value chart he is one of the best at trading picks for other picks and getting additional value.

Too bad he isn't as good at drafting actual players.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I read that. So, based on a Value chart he is one of the best at trading picks for other picks and getting additional value.

Too bad he isn't as good at drafting actual players.
Worse than that, he is bad enough at drafting actual players that it makes it look like he is losing draft pick trades that he is actually winning by a huge margin.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
The charts make sense; there's no doubt that JS is great at his job there.

As has already been alluded to, what happens if you make a trade that has poor chart value, but the player(s) chosen with the resulting pick(s) exceed(s) expectations at the pick #, or vice-versa as has been levied against our current FO?

It seems pick value should really be about the worth of the player chosen with that pick, not just the chart. Trading down and then picking someone like DK would be tremendous value; trading up and taking Collier is not.

Overall draft value and pick value can't be known until long afterwards, and much longer than many posters on this site have patience for. Sadly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We'll never know the answer to this question, but I wonder what our draft picks would have looked like over the past decade if it was just John choosing them, with no input from Pete.........or more importantly Pete not having the final say over approving picks.

Because while I think Pete is perfectly fine deferring to John when it comes to trading down, negotiating with other GM's and players/agents. I think he meddles a LOT on draft day.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
We'll never know the answer to this question, but I wonder what our draft picks would have looked like over the past decade if it was just John choosing them, with no input from Pete.........or more importantly Pete not having the final say over approving picks.

Because while I think Pete is perfectly fine deferring to John when it comes to trading down, negotiating with other GM's and players/agents. I think he meddles a LOT on draft day.
Agree completely, I also think they overemphasize need when drafting rather than best player available approach. I am hopeful that will no longer be the case as this is an obvious rebuild year. I am hopeful we nail this draft in a way we haven't seen in a while.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I don't know that JS "isn't as good at drafting actual players". He's just not been that good at drafting actual players that can stay healthy.

The FO was a good deal better drafting early in their regime, and perhaps as the various FO members became FO leaders on other team or organizations they have not been as effective. The older guys on the roster never got beaten out for their jobs by the younger guys who mostly all with a few notable exceptions have been disappointing. The decks have been cleared for the younger guys to show their stuff or be moved on from. The team has little quality depth at present at quite a few positions. Lots of work looks to be needed. Pete needs to be a lot less arrogant, hopefully he understand this.

After trading Wilson and releasing Wagner who would have counted $20.5 million this season JS needs to be at his trading best to recreate a team that won't become mired in the bottom 10 of the league for quite some time. If anyone thinks this will be easy or a one season miracle they are likely in need of of getting better glasses or to cease smoking whatever it is that allows them to think this way.

I think with few excellent picks the team could be on it's way again but it is going to take a bit of luck without a doubt.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
According to the study that appeared on FootballOutsiders a couple of years ago, in 2010-2019 the Seahawks were the team that got the most out of the draft capital they had. Yes, the absurdly good 2012 draft and the also-startlingly-good 2011 draft were part of that, but they wasn't all of it. The Seahawks did better than you'd expect, given the draft capital they had, in seven of the ten years covered in the article. The three worse-than-you'd-expect-given-the-capital-they-had years were 2013, 2014, and 2019.

Rainger

Reaction score
Remember it is not just JS doing this. The Hawks unlike most teams have a different front office where Pete has ultimate say on personnel. So their trading and decisions on players is a collaborative one with advice from their coaches and scouting. So this be it good or bad on how you want to view it, is attributed to both JS and Pete not just JS.

xray

Reaction score
Rock-paper-scissors tournament to choose draft picks . Open to the public . Winner picks em all .

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Agree completely, I also think they overemphasize need when drafting rather than best player available approach. I am hopeful that will no longer be the case as this is an obvious rebuild year. I am hopeful we nail this draft in a way we haven't seen in a while.
They have over emphasized need over best player available why trying to sustain the SB teams momentum. They built the SB team by drafting best player available. I think they got out of their comfort zone trying to keep that squad rolling without a backslide. The combination of new expensive contracts for our good players, trying to shift the focus to Russell, losing the 2nd SB, etc... all played a roll in them pressing to patch the roster instead of committing to turning it over.

Hopefully, now that there are no ties to those teams left, they've come back to building vs trying to patch holes. I'm guessing all the talk about being freed up is indirectly referencing just that. We wont know for sure until after the draft

Shane Falco

Reaction score
^^^ I hope that's the answer. 14 players from those first 3 drafts were starters in the SB against Denver. Not to mention Baldwin as an UDFA.

I just hope they stay put with their picks this time around and get some badly needed talent. Quality over quantity. The cupboards are bare.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
lol If the "cupboards are bare" wouldn't you want MORE picks to fill them up?
With Pete & John no longer having their Franchise Offensive & Defensive Quarterbacks in place, putting them in a little more of an urgency mode, I'm betting that if 'Their Guys' are off the boards, they will move down a few places to pick up an extra pick or two.
With this Draft supposedly being stacked with talent at MOST positions (except Quarterbacks) in the first three rounds, and a smattering in the 4th & 5th, there's still a good chance we not only fill some REALLY GOOD needs but get a few EYE-OPENING wants in the boot.
As with every single Draft, we have fans getting hooked on 'Gotta Have' Named Players... And as with every draft, some of those big-name players haven't lived up to their hypes.
And as with every single Draft in the Pete & John era, we will have a few fans that will get PO'd when the Hawks pass on some of those NOT so sure fired players.