AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good breakdown from Corbin Smith...

keasley45

Reaction score
Yeah I heard Lock balled out

Started 10 for 10 and hit 13 out of his first 14.

2nd half wasn't as good.. wonder if it was a change in offensive concept or the defense playing better.

Hard to really tell given it was a glorified practice, but the ball only touching the ground once in 14 attempts is solid regardless.

Lock was also praised for resisting the temptation to go deep and rather, exploiting the underneath and shorter available routes while he was out there. Also a good sign given it's been said that his biggest struggle is losing discipline and playing gunslinger.

They key to this season is him allowing Shane to make his job easier by scheming guys open within the play, then having the ti.ing and discipline tonget the ball to them.

Not a bad start in his first opportunity.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I was there as well and concur on all fronts.
- QB play was uninspiring but OK
- Walker made a sequence of very nice catches out of the backfield including a great stretch to haul in an overthrown pass
- Woolen was the player of the day

For those who weren't there, OL/DL/RB play should be taken with a major grain of salt because it was minimal contact only. We're not trying to get anybody hurt out there when it's Hawks vs. Hawks.
I have a question for those that were there and watched the QBs. I get that they may have come off as uninspiring. Were they really just meh, or is there some type of residual affect of the experience of stability at the position for 10 years that everything will be compared with what was? #3 is completely different in terms of style from most any other QB we have seen.
Could there be any sense of “this is so different from the former guy that I can’t accurately assess this play”? Even with the gaps in #3s play, we could almost predict when he could turn it on(4th quarter comebacks). The current QBs on this roster are drastically different from #3 in term of size and abilities.
Just curious if there could be some sort of observation bias involved or we really are screwed at the position.

keasley45

Reaction score
I have a question for those that were there and watched the QBs. I get that they may have come off as uninspiring. Were they really just meh, or is there some type of residual affect of the experience of stability at the position for 10 years that everything will be compared with what was? #3 is completely different in terms of style from most any other QB we have seen.
Could there be any sense of “this is so different from the former guy that I can’t accurately assess this play”? Even with the gaps in #3s play, we could almost predict when he could turn it on(4th quarter comebacks). The current QBs on this roster are drastically different from #3 in term of size and abilities.
Just curious if there could be some sort of observation bias involved or we really are screwed at the position.
I wasnt there, but I think some of the uninspiring feeling correlates to, in Locks case, emphasizing the check downs and layups, over the long, exciting plays. We know he's being drilled to polish that aspect of his game.

He apparently started 12 for 12 - the number goes up everyday. So to be that efficient in completing balls that move the chains and simply take what's there, given how much the team has struggled to do over the years and Locks own propensity to 'go long' and take unnecessary risks, I'd say that in his case, boring is a good thing.

The guy without a doubt is a gun slinger with a canon of an arm. Decision making and mechanics are his weakness. If he can look solidly ordinary for the entire preseason, passing for 65%, and error free, eff3ctively moving the team dowm field, thats a win, and the big plays will gradually come.

I did see that his end half wasn't as impressive. But 12/12 running mostly 2s vs 1s is a good day.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I'm trying to remain circumspect because they've only played each other so far, but damn I can't wait to see preseason action next week!
Yeah, when I was born, my Ma & Pa had me Circumspected before leavin' the hospital, I don't..... um...never mind.
HOW 'BOUT THEM SEAHAWKS!!

AgentDib

Reaction score
In my view the QBs are being talked up mostly because the stats looked good to start the game and there's an incentive to be optimistic. However, the stats themselves are meaningless in this context for a few reasons. This was closer to watching a 7 on 7 drill in shorts and t-shirts than it was a real NFL game.
1) I've seen a few people mention how the OL "held up" well. Contact was light at best and neither the DL nor OL was really going at each other. The QBs had very little pressure to contend with as a result. Similarly, the LBs/RBs were basically playing two hand touch football and so any statements about RB effectiveness on the ground based on yardage is silly.
2) The passes were heavy on WCO short stuff. Some slants, some quick outs to the RBs - which it was nice to see Walker handle based on him not showing that in college - but pretty low difficulty on average.
3) I saw an article lauding Lock for "leading two touchdown drives." That's just kind of silly given that Walker ran it in on the first drive with no contact from LBs to stop him, and on the second drive it was actually a nicely contested play from Woolen that ended up with a freak rebound catch from Thompson.
4) In the second half when they were trying to push the ball down the field a bit more neither looked good. Lock with a couple overthrown balls including a wide open go route for Goodwin, Geno sailed a couple left that had us wondering if the receiver was supposed to come back to it. Both of them had a "too slow" quick out in the second half that could have easily been a pick six if it happened in a regular game.

The first pre-season game is an important next test because it's an opportunity for contact that isn't all friendly fire. If Geno or Lock can look poised in the pocket and make good decisions when the defense is playing all out then I'll be the first one to give them credit for doing so.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's actual footage from the mock game...Not sure how this was cleared since the team/NFL is hyper-sensitive about releasing televised footage of mock games but here ya go...

Death

Reaction score
I am quite pumped for our first preseason game. I know the media still having us down for a shit season, but we will surprise people I am telling ya.