MiLB Mariners

Ruminator

Reaction score
Since some of the players the Ms currently have playing Minor League Baseball (MiLB), aka the minors, have been getting a lot of attention lately, I figured there would be some interest in an ongoing "MiLB Mariners" thread where we can discuss some of the top prospects and how they're progressing.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Kelenic just won PCL player of the week and Marte is on fire.

Last edited:

DJrmb

Reaction score
As good as Noelvi Marte was last year (which ended up making him a top 10 prospect in MLBs top 100 by year end) Edwin Arroyo has been even better this year. He's mashing with a .315 average, 12 HR, and a 900 OPS so far this year. Arroyo might make Marte available as a trade chip, or possibly have him move positions from SS to 3rd maybe so they can play together.

OP
OP
Ruminator

Ruminator

Reaction score
Looks like Marte is in the High-A league, playing for the Everett AquaSox, and Arroyo is in the Single-A league, playing for the Modesto Nuts, but still intriguing...

Here's a nice overview of the M's top prospects. Click player name for bio write-up:

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
As good as Noelvi Marte was last year (which ended up making him a top 10 prospect in MLBs top 100 by year end) Edwin Arroyo has been even better this year. He's mashing with a .315 average, 12 HR, and a 900 OPS so far this year. Arroyo might make Marte available as a trade chip, or possibly have him move positions from SS to 3rd maybe so they can play together.
Depending on who's available at the time, I suspect we're gonna trade one of our top prospects at the deadline. It would send a huge positive message if we're buyers this year, and we have a couple of journeymen already on the 40 who could bring some serious talent when bundled with a top prospect. 2B is the obvious place to upgrade, as well as the rotation.

The big ifs involve our injured guys. Bring Hanny and Lewis back and the outfield is solid. Add a top 2B and the infield is solid. Our starting rotation is good, but you never have enough good arms.

DJrmb

Reaction score
For comparison Marte in single A last year (where Arroyo is now) put up a .271 average, with 17 HR, and an 830 OPS in 24 more games played. So there is still time for Arroyo to come back down to earth a bit, but also still time for him to surpass 17 HRs. It'll be interesting to see how those two guys progress a year apart from each other.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Depending on who's available at the time, I suspect we're gonna trade one of our top prospects at the deadline. It would send a huge positive message if we're buyers this year, and we have a couple of journeymen already on the 40 who could bring some serious talent when bundled with a top prospect. 2B is the obvious place to upgrade, as well as the rotation.

The big ifs involve our injured guys. Bring Hanny and Lewis back and the outfield is solid. Add a top 2B and the infield is solid. Our starting rotation is good, but you never have enough good arms.
I actually don’t see them making a BIG move involving high prospects THIS year. I can see them adding a (SP) a 3rd starter type like they did last year.

They have Mitch and K-Lew coming back and Kelenic (who’s lighting it up in Tacoma), to help on offense.

I don’t see them giving up Marte who I think will be up sometime next year.

I could be wrong though.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Dollard has been on fire this year as one of the best pitchers, if not the best pitcher, in AA.

Taylor Dollard Named Texas League Pitcher of the Month for June
Taylor Dollard of the Arkansas Travelers was chosen as Texas League Pitcher of the Month for June. He put together a perfect slate going 5-0 in as many starts with a 0.86 ERA. Over 31.1 innings, he allowed just three runs on 17 hits while striking out 29. Opponents hit just .153 off him for the month. In his first four June outings, he gave up just one run.

OP
OP
Ruminator

Ruminator

Reaction score
Check out this bit on Emerson Hancock - scroll down for the vid and brief write-up on how he did in the Futures Game. He looked pretty decent. Hopefully his right shoulder impingement issues are behind him for good.

DJrmb

Reaction score

Mariners selected Allegheny HS (PA) infielder Cole Young with the 21st pick of the 2022 MLB Draft.​

Young has a commitment to play at Duke, but it’s much more likely he plays professionally than with the Blue Devils. A 6-foot shortstop, Young’s top talent is his potential to hit for average, as his left-handed swing stays in the zone with good bat speed along with excellent hand-eye coordination. He’s also a plus runner who should be able to provide stolen bases at the highest level. The one thing missing here is pop, and asking for more than a couple handfuls of homers seems like asking too much based on his profile. Still, a hitter who can contribute in those aforementioned categories makes Young a solid player, and the likelihood of staying at shortstop doesn’t hurt
Cole Young Rotoworld

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Should have never brought Kelenic up and traded his ass.