Malik Willis is THE Guy

W

Welshers

Mark my words. This kid will be the next big thing in the NFL. He has the physical attributes and all the intangibles. If Seattle does not take him at 9 if he's on the board they will regret it forever. He's going to dominate this league. Why wait for next year like some are saying when you could have this guy now. Russ won the SB in his 2nd year. Get Willis and we could win it all in the near future. This is your chance Pete

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. After studying film (4 minutes of YouTube videos) I can say without a doubt that Willis will not succeed in the NFL. He pats the ball before throwing every time. Once he tucks and runs, he rarely looks to throw.

He's like a store brand Lamar Jackson. Not impressed.
The team should focus on the Offensive and defensive line this draft, then get a QB next draft.

Rainger

Reaction score
HMMMMM another RW? I kinda want a new direction!.

Dont get me wrong I loved RW. But after watching some of the new breeds who are taller see the middle of the field and can step up into the pocket and escape forward not always rolling out backwards for a sack I would like to take a chance on more of a Josh Allen type of guy.

Maybe wait till next year. If they choose Malik well I will cheer for him with all my fandom. But I am not sure Lock is the the dumpster fire that the media paints him to be. Remember what they all said about the drafting of RW and his early years.

GemCity

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. After studying film (4 minutes of YouTube videos) I can say without a doubt that Willis will not succeed in the NFL. He pats the ball before throwing every time. Once he tucks and runs, he rarely looks to throw.

He's like a store brand Lamar Jackson. Not impressed.
The team should focus on the Offensive and defensive line this draft, then get a QB next draft.
100% agree about building from the lines out.
TBH, I don’t know enough about Willis to combat what you’re saying. I do know that unless you’re grabbing a “sure thing” (as much as a sure thing is in the NFL), selecting a guy at #9 who can’t come in and make a difference right away is a hard sell.
It’s a crap shoot ofc…but I’d rather roll with a DT or OT at #9.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Which college football games did Willis play that impressed you so much? Losing to Army and Louisiana-Monroe? Beating Eastern Michigan and Old Dominion?

This is a QB who couldn't see the field at Auburn so he played the last two years of his career at Liberty against low level competition. That doesn't mean he can't be a good pro QB with development but he's an enormous question mark and I think it would be crazy to spend a top 10 pick on a QB who's never played well vs. good opponents before.

seabowl

Reaction score
Pete doesn't want a dynamic qb. He wants someone that will run his plays to find the open receiver and not take off on the first sign of pressure. Believe me Hawks are not interested in this guy.

getnasty

Reaction score
Pete doesn't want a dynamic qb. He wants someone that will run his plays to find the open receiver and not take off on the first sign of pressure. Believe me Hawks are not interested in this guy.
I think Pete like the idea of a mobile guy just to help the run game in my opinion. First and foremost don't turn the ball over.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Even if Willis is all that, he's a Work In Progress and will take years to develop -- if and only if he has the maturity to be coachable, if he is given the RIGHT coaching and has an O-line that can protect him, as well as having weapons at his disposal.

Not all WIPs turn into Josh Allen. Plenty of them are more like Ryan Leaf, Johnny Manzell, JaMarcus Russell and David Carr. I don't know about Willis's maturity, I don't know that we have an offensive coach capable of molding him and we certainly don't have much of an O-line right now. Our weapons at WR are very good until you get past Lockett and DK, and our two RBs are very good until Game 5 when they're both on IR.

Best to get the other pieces in place before rolling the dice on a risky QB that did not play against elite competition in college. The 2023 draft has a much better QB selection, and I'm afraid we'll need to look at 2022 as a bridge year.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Level of competition matters. Every time he played a team ranked in the top 50 defensively he played poorly. He is not somehow going to get better playing against NFL-level talent.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Mark my words. This kid will be the next big thing in the NFL. He has the physical attributes and all the intangibles. If Seattle does not take him at 9 if he's on the board they will regret it forever. He's going to dominate this league. Why wait for next year like some are saying when you could have this guy now. Russ won the SB in his 2nd year. Get Willis and we could win it all in the near future. This is your chance Pete
I think you need a little more polish to go in the top ten.

I could actually see KP going in the top ten. He’s more polished and could move in right away for a team like the Panthers. Jobs on the line in Carolina.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I really like Corral he's 6-2', from the west coast, has a live arm and most importantly can throw over the middle and make all of the throws. If Pete does what I think he will then Stingley is the guy

King Dog

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh. The old mark my words. If he pans out, you will remind everyone here over and over. If he doesn't, everyone will forget by then that you made this post lol

Optimus25

Reaction score
Remember even with Russ, who is better than Willis, we needed the LoB to get there. With Bobby. We NEED a star compliment to Brooks, bar none. Then we can bolster the line on both sides, hope for magic in the mega late rounds and undrafted pool a la doug Baldwin, and go forward in two years with that crew looking for the next QB. I still think Fitzpatrick would be the best bridge to the future, probably cheap as hell coming off injury. But if Pete just keeps Peteballin without a major change in philosophy, which really cares? We’ll lose tight playoff games due to lack of discipline and poor clock management and we’ll focus on the run which means fifty yard bombs on 3rd and 1. Also we’ll basically score -24 points in the first half.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Willis is A guy with potential, I'll give you that. So is Corral, who I think fits our system better. But both are just guys with potential. And there are a couple others that have possibilities. The kid form Cincy seems like a hot prospect to have in the pantry.
There really is no "the guy" that is plug n play in this draft.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's not going to be available at 9, period. Hopefully someone at 40 or 41 is available and worth taking a shot on. IF it's the guy they want.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He's not going to be available at 9, period. Hopefully someone at 40 or 41 is available and worth taking a shot on. IF it's the guy they want.
Yeah he will. I just hope we draft O or D line. He isn’t worth a top 10 pick. If Ekwonu is there at 9 you have got to take him. He’s a beast and a difference maker in the trenches