Kenobi

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm wondering about his fights with Darth Vader...in Star Wars (the original movie, I refuse to call it it's renamed version 'A New Hope'), Vader tells him "last time we faced I was the learner, now I am the master".

It seems like the original idea was that Vader and Kenobi last fought in Revenge of the Sith. Disney couldn't help themselves but shoe-horn in Darth Vader battles to please fans, I guess.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I'm wondering about his fights with Darth Vader...in Star Wars (the original movie, I refuse to call it it's renamed version 'A New Hope'), Vader tells him "last time we faced I was the learner, now I am the master".

It seems like the original idea was that Vader and Kenobi last fought in Revenge of the Sith. Disney couldn't help themselves but shoe-horn in Darth Vader battles to please fans, I guess.
Ratings and subscriptions are more important than sticking with a storyline. A lot of people who tune in probably have never watched the first 3 movies.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Actually, I just fact checked myself and the line is "when I left you, I was the learner..." So nevermind completely on that whole thing. I feel embarrassed.

Zebulon Dak

Reaction score

I think this is what most people assumed based on the information we had, which is Fair. But before Revenge came out, the possibilities were endless. And even still, as you mentioned, the lines are at least somewhat ambiguous as to what they meant, so there's wiggle room IMO.

Zebulon Dak

Reaction score
Obi Wan finale was awesome. Ultimately, this whole series was just fan service, we got to see some cool sh*t we otherwise wouldn't have. None of it was necessary, but it was mostly well done IMO, if a bit indulgent in parts. Doesn't really change anything. I'm sure it messes with a lot of folks' head canon but no complaints over here.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Obi Wan finale was awesome. Ultimately, this whole series was just fan service, we got to see some cool sh*t we otherwise wouldn't have. None of it was necessary, but it was mostly well done IMO, if a bit indulgent in parts. Doesn't really change anything. I'm sure it messes with a lot of folks' head canon but no complaints over here.
So Reva as Ashoka‘s sidekick in the upcoming series? Too big a gap time wise? 15-20ys? Suppose they can do bait & switch with a Kenobi season 2 that focuses mostly on her redemption arc with a sprinkling of Ben.

The final Kenobi vs Vader fight was well done. Appreciated Vader taking the high ground by force (pun intended) and the mirroring of the Ashoka v Vader Rebels scene with the mask slicing.

Zebulon Dak

Reaction score
Appreciated Vader taking the high ground

I'm kinda surprised they were able to refrain from taking the joke too far. But I'm glad they did.

I guess I never really thought about them expanding on Reva's story going forward. Almost seems like we probably got the most interesting part of her story. I could see her showing up in the Fallen Order sequel maybe? I dunno, hard to say. Suppose her and Vader still have unfinished business they could explore. Maybe she pops up somewhere in Andor. Who knows.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Setting up a relationship between Obi-wan and Princess Leia when she was a child was unnecessary, not to mention incompatible with how she summons him and how she reacts to his death in Star Wars.

Also, there's no good reason to shrink the universe by having that model/toy spaceship we see in Luke's hands in Star Wars be a present from Obi-wan. That's not nearly as stupidly universe-shrinking as having C3PO, a protocol droid, having been (implausibly) built by a slave kid on Tatooine who later turns into Darth Vader, but it's still pretty damn stupidly universe-shrinking.

I continue to hold the position that the universe would be a better place if the Star Wars franchise had ended with Return of the Jedi in 1983. None of the movies or series made since then has added anything good, and some of them, like Obi-wan Kenobi, have made things noticeably worse.

If you'll allow me to Lo-Pan-ize for a moment, "But you know, Mr. Burton, the difficulties between fans and Star Wars properties. How seldom it works out. Yet we all keep trying, like fools." I keep watching new Star Wars movies and series, even though none since 1983 has been even "very good" [tho' I'd say The Mandalorian has been decent] and most have been just stupid.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Setting up a relationship between Obi-wan and Princess Leia when she was a child was unnecessary, not to mention incompatible with how she summons him and how she reacts to his death in Star Wars.

I want to expand a little on that. I've seen meme treatments of Leia comforting Luke after they escape from the Death Star. Luke says his line "I can't believe he's gone" and in the memes, Leia says something like "oh, you mean the guy you've known for a couple of days?"

Now that Obi-wan Kenobi exists, it seems like Luke should have been comforting Leia in that scene, because she had just lost the guy who saved her and bonded with her when she was a kid, and she didn't even get a chance to talk to him again before seeing him killed by Vader.

stosso12

Reaction score
seems like it is kind of set up for a second season where he actually has to stay on tatoine so luke and ben can have a bit more of a relationship.

Zebulon Dak

Reaction score
I want to expand a little on that. I've seen meme treatments of Leia comforting Luke after they escape from the Death Star. Luke says his line "I can't believe he's gone" and in the memes, Leia says something like "oh, you mean the guy you've known for a couple of days?"

Now that Obi-wan Kenobi exists, it seems like Luke should have been comforting Leia in that scene, because she had just lost the guy who saved her and bonded with her when she was a kid, and she didn't even get a chance to talk to him again before seeing him killed by Vader.

She did also just lose her entire planet and everybody on it including her family and didn't seem too broken up about that.

Zebulon Dak

Reaction score
Star Wars has never really made that much sense. There's always been a carelessness to the way it makes connections, and yeah, the more content they make the more obvious that carelessness becomes. If you break it all down too far it really just falls apart. It's not science fiction, it's about aesthetic and emotion. People who are married to their head canon and need everything to fit within it will never be able to really enjoy anything outside that OT. Which is too bad because a lot of the new stuff is really cool.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I enjoyed it. It's tough for them to try and build suspense when we know every character we care about is going to survive no matter how bad it looks for them. I didn't like some of the ways they resolved some issues to be consistent with the original. After all the wondering, I was glad to get the famous Kenobi greeting finally.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I enjoyed it. It's tough for them to try and build suspense when we know every character we care about is going to survive no matter how bad it looks for them. I didn't like some of the ways they resolved some issues to be consistent with the original. After all the wondering, I was glad to get the famous Kenobi greeting finally.

Whenever I watch with my friends, I keep making jokes about that.

"Oh shit, hopefully Princess Leia doesn't get killed here!"

" This is where Obe-Wan dies. I just know it. "

This, coupled with what was pointed out earlier about how it clashes with her reaction to his death in A New Hope, should have been good enough reason to not include Leia as a main character.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I thought it was entertaining. Vader mask getting split open and the conversation that followed between them was awesome. That being said shouldn't Vader be in the prime of his dark side abilities? Kenobi kind of lost a step after a 10 year hiatus from force stuff. Kenobi had him beat and didn't kill him again? Imo Vader should of been almost invincible at that point. I also thought Kenobi meeting Luke throws another wrench at new hope but it is what is. This was the only product from Disney I've actually liked for the star wars stuff. About time they did something worth watching..

Zebulon Dak

Reaction score
I also thought Kenobi meeting Luke throws another wrench at new hope but it is what is.

Luke knew who Ben Kenobi was in A New Hope. So did Leia. To what extent, we didn't really know. But they were both familiar with him based on their own words in ANH.

This was the only product from Disney I've actually liked for the star wars stuff. About time they did something worth watching.

Not a Mando fan, huh? I feel like it's a better show than Obi Wan. Not necessarily better Star Wars but a better show, generally speaking.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Luke knew who Ben Kenobi was in A New Hope. So did Leia. To what extent, we didn't really know. But they were both familiar with him based on their own words in ANH.

Not a Mando fan, huh? I feel like it's a better show than Obi Wan. Not necessarily better Star Wars but a better show, generally speaking.
I gotta watch it again

Lagartixa

Reaction score

"General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope."

That's not how she would address him if she had met him and bonded with him when she was a child.

The Mandalorian has been the least-bad Star Wars property since Return of the Jedi, but it got more and more like the cartoons as the second season went on. I expect it to go full-on for-kids-only in its next season, but I'll watch at least the first episode and give it a chance to be something more.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
By the way, has there ever been worse casting in any Star Wars property (and no, I'm not forgetting Hayden Christensen in Attack of the Clones) than that Pakistani guy who played the annoying Indian-American guy on Silicon Valley? He was so good in Silicon Valley and so, so, SO bad in Obi-wan Kenobi.