Is it time to upgrade the 2nd string QB position?

Forthewin

Reaction score
Russ is a mac truck/snapon tool...he just never stops working. However if for some odd reason he gets an early season injury that puts him out for the year...are you comfortable with Geno Smith running the show into the playoffs? Me neither.

Too many needs to spend a high draft pick on a QB and not enough proven QBs that are willing to drop down to 2nd string. A healthy salary for Fitzpatrick would be my best suggestion.
Any thought?

Rat

Reaction score
We've been playing with fire for years on this. Yeah, Russ is crazy durable, but it takes just one misstep or a defender falling just right and even the strongest guy can end up on the IR. Fitz would be ideal, but I can't imagine why he would sign here.

Brissett is a guy to look out for, as our front office has been rumored to be interested in him in the past. Gabbert and Barkley have both looked solid in their most recent time. Tyrod Taylor is out there, but I doubt this is the kind of situation he's looking for. I like Sudfeld even though he looked horrendous in that last game for the Eagles. I could see either way on Cam Newton.

chris98251

Reaction score
Smith is fine, former starter, yes he will need to get some reps to get comfortable over the course of a game and timing, but no point in going after a no need.

Maybe we should Trade for Watson as a back up, would that satisfy those that want more fantasy stats in case Wilson gets hurt?

jmahon316

Reaction score
I've been having this thought for the last 3 years and have mentioned it before. I think we should've used Russ' ironman health to develop and mentor a younger QB that is rough around the edges but needs a little fine tuning. Hopefully we can get that with McGough back on the team. It certainly beats paying a higher rated backup which probably wouldn't make any difference on our playoff chances if Russ were to go down during the regular season. At least this way we can develop someone with a higher ceiling, and if worse comes to worse we can trade them so at least we get a draft pick out of it instead of renting a high priced backup that's barely used just to lose them in FA.

xray

Reaction score
Green Bay drafted a QB last year while having a MVP QB in Rodgers . Planning for the future is not a bad thing .

toffee

Reaction score
jmahon316":34604ygz said:
I've been having this thought for the last 3 years and have mentioned it before. I think we should've used Russ' ironman health to develop and mentor a younger QB that is rough around the edges but needs a little fine tuning. Hopefully we can get that with McGough back on the team. It certainly beats paying a higher rated backup which probably wouldn't make any difference on our playoff chances if Russ were to go down during the regular season. At least this way we can develop someone with a higher ceiling, and if worse comes to worse we can trade them so at least we get a draft pick out of it instead of renting a high priced backup that's barely used just to lose them in FA.
Rosen?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Rat":3n9duq6k said:
Fitz would be ideal, but I can't imagine why he would sign here.

To be the only player in NFL history to play for every team?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Absolutely not. Rodgers is five years older than Russ and the Packers would have been more likely to get to the Super Bowl this season if their first round pick contributed even a little bit.

Russ has $32m and $37m cap hits in the next two seasons and is under contract for three more seasons. We're not at the stage of looking for his eventual replacement regardless of what some around here think, and spending MORE money at the QB position would just further hamper the ability of the rest of the team to be competitive.

Our backup QB needs to be able to come in with minimal practice and hold things together for a quarter here or there if Wilson has to go out for a minor reason. Geno Smith is ideal for that as long as he's willing to play on a cheap deal.

chrispy

Reaction score
When Schneider first came to Seattle, he said he wanted to draft a QB every year. That's the only reason Russel Wilson is a Seahawk. ... great strategy that worked well and so it's abandoned...? No one can argue that the FO knew, without question, that RW was better than Matt Flynn, especially in year 1. They drafted him hoping he would win the job, eventually. Abandoning that mentality at the QB position has resulted in career backups at #2 for years. It undermines the team's competition-mentality at other positions. At the very least, good young QBs behind RW would result in a trade every few years. Sure, there's an opportunity cost. However, if RW can't run for fear of injury (or can't run the way he did in the past) and still takes sacks more often than any other QB, there's plenty of additional reason to invest in the position. So yes, time to upgrade. It's time to upgrade every year.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ten years in the league it is time to start looking at the developing QB in waiting, drafting a QB fairly high while your in a window probably isn't a great idea when you need a step in guy should Wilson get hurt.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
No, if Wilson is injured, the season is lost anyway..

Vetamur

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3gqiw22r said:
Sam Darnold

Find a young QB that failed on a bad team.
isnt that what we have (well..had technically..we need to resign him)

This probably isnt the best off season to do this. No OTAs et al.. another truncated offseason so.. keeping someone who knows the team, players and what not is probably a good thing. Unless Detroit cuts Goff and it was just an Osweiler type deal..then Goff might be a good back up to go with his former OC.

toffee

Reaction score
Vetamur":3njr5tya said:
JayhawkMike":3njr5tya said:
Sam Darnold

Find a young QB that failed on a bad team.
isnt that what we have (well..had technically..we need to resign him)

This probably isnt the best off season to do this. No OTAs et al.. another truncated offseason so.. keeping someone who knows the team, players and what not is probably a good thing. Unless Detroit cuts Goff and it was just an Osweiler type deal..then Goff might be a good back up to go with his former OC.
So you are saying Goff drops from starter for Rams to backup for Hawks?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Wait and see what the new OC does with the offense and then go get a guy that fits the offense. No need to spend big, just get a backup quality guy that fits the offense. If that is Geno, then fine.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't really care about the position, to be honest. It's good to maximize talent there, but not at the cost of a single resource that could go to positions that use depth players more often.

I'd like a reclamation project there, generally. Kizer, Rosen, etc. or a very experienced vet that can manage the game and minimize turnovers should Russ have to go out, like a Matt Moore type.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Why don't we just demote Wilson to back up? That would be a huge upgrade, wouldn't it?