I suspect that for Game #2 Thursday night, we see the "starters" on the field...

sutz

Reaction score
It seems to me that for the second game, they'll put all of the starters that are healthy out there for the 1st quarter to give them the reps together and leave game #3 for the last minute roster decisions.

One caveat, though. While I expect Lock to start thursday, I'm not sure that holds over for the regular season. I do think they want that decision made before game #3 of the pre, though. At least I would.

For game #1, they held a lot of front line guys out. I think they'll play some in this one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
While yes this is usually the game we see the most starters, I don't think Lock will start.

Pete can say all he wants about competition, but Geno's taken ALL the 1st team reps in practice and started last week. That's telling us that Pete's already decided he's the week one starter.

So I'd be shocked if Lock got the start.

Rosco

Reaction score
While yes this is usually the game we see the most starters, I don't think Lock will start.

Pete can say all he wants about competition, but Geno's taken ALL the 1st team reps in practice and started last week. That's telling us that Pete's already decided he's the week one starter.

So I'd be shocked if Lock got the start.
Sorry, but Geno Smith doesn’t have the pedigree to be made starter that early in a preseason. Geno got the start because of his time already in the system. This upcoming preseason game will likely be the game that decides who will be the week 1 starter.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I will be very displeased if Lock doesn't get the start this Thursday. We preach so much about competition yet what good is the so-called competition if we don't get to see what Lock looks like with the #1's? It seems contrived and lopsided to simply let Smith remain with the starters throughout the entire training camp and preseason. I hope PC does the right thing and let Lock start against the Bears so we can all see for ourselves how well he performs. Then we let the chips fall where they may.

If he keeps Smith with the starters and Lock is relegated to the backups then that tells me PC made up his mind months ago.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think Geno will get the Thursday start and the Game 1 regular season start, but I expect Lock to end up with the job before the season is over and will hold onto it for next season as well. I also agree with Pete's application of the process other than not giving Lock equal time with the ones. I think Lock has already demonstrated a higher level of play overall.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sorry, but Geno Smith doesn’t have the pedigree to be made starter that early in a preseason. Geno got the start because of his time already in the system. This upcoming preseason game will likely be the game that decides who will be the week 1 starter.

Sorry man, I can't get fired up about either QB.

I think they both stink. I'm just shedding some light on what Pete's thinking.........and he's thinking he's still in year #1 of rebuilding his roster and he knows he doesn't have the defense and developing O-line to withstand the 2-3 bonehead mistakes Lock will make a game.

So away we go with the game manager of all game managers, Geno Smith. Get ready for 25 check downs a game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Or running in circles and not looking downfield. Or running in to sacks. I wonder of Geno has some photo's of Pete, because his loyalty to him is strange. Especially from a football sense. Geno is HORRIBLE. Period

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I will be very displeased if Lock doesn't get the start this Thursday. We preach so much about competition yet what good is the so-called competition if we don't get to see what Lock looks like with the #1's? It seems contrived and lopsided to simply let Smith remain with the starters throughout the entire training camp and preseason. I hope PC does the right thing and let Lock start against the Bears so we can all see for ourselves how well he performs. Then we let the chips fall where they may.

If he keeps Smith with the starters and Lock is relegated to the backups then that tells me PC made up his mind months ago.
So, your premise is that if Lock does not get any run with the starters the competition is contrived rather than legitimate. Do you apply this same indictment of the team's competition to other positions? If DK and Lockett are ready to go, should we have our second and third-string receivers take first-team reps in practice and start preseason games just to be fair and give them time with the #1's? What about every other position group? If we are constantly giving players 2 and 3 deep on the depth chart reps with the ones, is anyone getting reps with the ones, or are the ones on that particular day simply a mash-up of players at various levels of the depth chart being given the designation of the ones for a day?

I would like to see Lock with the ones, not because I think it is necessary for competition, but just to see what it looks like. I don't get the benefit of watching practice and am curious. I also know that competition takes place in practice, and the players winning that competition get the first-team reps in practice and in games. And, players who are winning the competition in practice then getting the opportunity for reps with the ones in practice and in games is what competition is all about.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I get the point you are trying to make but we are talking about two QBs that are in a very public battle to see who becomes our starting QB this season. Not which 3rd and 4th string WR can unseat two of the better and proven WRs in the NFL. We all know what we have in those two. We are all trying to find out what we have in Smith and Lock, comparatively. Perhaps contrived is a strong word but given competition at the most valued position in the game, you would like to see PC give Lock ample opportunity with the 1's to make a fair and calculated decision heading into September 12th.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Or running in circles and not looking downfield. Or running in to sacks. I wonder of Geno has some photo's of Pete, because his loyalty to him is strange. Especially from a football sense. Geno is HORRIBLE. Period

He's safe, that's all Pete cares about right now. Stay in games until the 4th quarter with a good run game, until his young team starts playing better.

He knows Lock has the bigger upside, but that's not good enough right now.

But rest assure we'll see plenty of Lock this year. No way in hell Geno makes it through 17 games without getting hurt or benched.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
There is also the mental aspect of the game. We all saw what happened to David Carr, and his promising career. Denver did a good job of starting to send Lock in the same direction.

If Pete sees Lock as a promising reclamation project, then bringing him along slowly, letting Geno to take those early season hits, while the line gels, may be a good move. Once things are clicking on the line, and Lock has more time learning the system, he has a much higher chance of a successful career.

Slick

Reaction score
I think KJ (an ex-player) laid it out in a relatively recent interview: Geno is the players' choice. Pete is not going to contradict this at all costs so I find it unsurprising that all along the way it is Geno's job.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He ALSO has been a turnover machine in his career, but people seem to ignore his TD to INT ratio. It's pathetic.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He ALSO has been a turnover machine in his career, but people seem to ignore his TD to INT ratio. It's pathetic.
He really hasn't been a turnover machine with Seattle, though. That's going to matter much more than 7 years ago with NYJ is.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's played in 4 games with Seattle. TOTAL
And really 3 and a half. I want him to do well, we're likely stuck with him.
Can you honestly say you're confident he can win a game in the 4th quarter when it matters? Serious question.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
when you have more INT's in your career than TD's, you're a turnover machine. That's how much of a drop off there is, I feel like I'm sticking up for Drew effin Lock :LOL: