Huard on Seahawks Signing KJ: "You Have To Make That Move"

massari

Reaction score
Brock Huard expects K.J. Wright and the Seahawks to reunite for the 2021 season.

A major question surrounding the Seahawks this offseason has been whether or not the team will reunite with longtime linebacker K.J. Wright.

Wright, 32, had been the Seahawks’ longest-tenured player for a while as he’d been with the team since he was drafted in 2011. But after his two-year deal expired at the end of the 2020 season, Wright has remained unsigned despite being wildly productive the last two seasons.

The Seahawks currently have All-Pro Bobby Wagner and 2020 first-round pick Jordyn Brooks penned in at middle linebacker and weakside linebacker, respectively, but the rest of that position group a bit of a question mark, especially after this most recent preseason game.

2020 second-round pick Darrell Taylor, who was drafted as a defensive end, is the favorite to start at the strongside linebacker position, which Wright played in 2020. 2019 third-round pick Cody Barton is also back and has experience at all three linebacker spots. But the Seahawks’ depth there took a bit of a hit as third-year linebacker Ben Burr-Kirven tore his ACL on the opening kickoff of Seattle’s second preseason game. Now, fullback/special teams captain Nick Bellore is expected to be the Seahawks’ fifth linebacker.

“I think K.J. has more than likely had some minimum offers on the table be it in Seattle or Vegas or others and he’s said, ‘Nah man. No. I was a top-100 player in this league and I had one of the most productive seasons of my NFL career last year. I transitioned and showed you positional flexibility. I was able to play some strongside and weakside (linebacker). I’m not playing for the minimum, get out of here,'” Huard said. “And I think he’s played a little chicken with the market and kind of stared at each other and now with Ben Burr-Kirven’s injury, that need has grown and more than likely there could be a few more bucks coming K.J. Wright’s way here in Seattle.”

Huard later added, “I think there’s going to be some movement over the next couple weeks and if that means a few more million bucks or a few more incentives for K.J. Wright to get in here, I think at this stage you have to make that move.”

Seems funny how many think it's a good idea to let KJ go because they have a rookie coming off a major injury and trying out a new position (Taylor at SAM), and only have Cody Barton as the depth if Brooks or Wagner get hurt.

Just a year ago, the Seahawks thought enough of KJ to keep him on the roster with a $10M cap hit. He then proceeded the have one of his best seasons which included playing at the SAM position.

Not making a serious offer for him (around $3.5M) could be a massive mistake.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't listen to Brock anymore. He's been all Gloom and Doom for the last year, constantly bad mouthing Pete and John.

I Love KJ, but suspect he's asking for more money than they're willing to pay. I hope he gets it, but it's not going to happen here.

As far as re-signing KJ, except for the defensive backfield, there are too many good, low cost players on the defense to let someone go in order to sign Wright.

Whatever KJ is asking, teams shouldn't hesitate to sign him for that if they need a linebacker and have the cap space.

Smellyman

Reaction score
If you think Brock is doom and gloom and bad mouths people and stopped listening because of that, you can't listen to anybody

AgentDib

Reaction score
At the start of the off-season KJ said he played too well last year to take a pay cut this year. That indicates he was initially asking for the same $10m he got last year. We have no idea how much he has dropped that price if at all.

massari":14nk9mae said:
Not making a serious offer for him (around $3.5M) could be a massive mistake.
And how do we know they haven't made an offer of that much or more?

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
If we resign kJ without an injury to brooks. Then we wasted yet another high draft pick on brooks. I love kJ but we have young highly drafted players that we need to start.

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":zccyhe2q said:
If we resign kJ without an injury to brooks. Then we wasted yet another high draft pick on brooks. I love kJ but we have young highly drafted players that we need to start.
KJ won’t effect Brooks. Last season KJ, Bobby, and Brooks were the three starting libebackers. It would be most likely Barton losing reps.

hawker84

Reaction score
ivotuk":2cmyi860 said:
I don't listen to Brock anymore. He's been all Gloom and Doom for the last year, constantly bad mouthing Pete and John.

I Love KJ, but suspect he's asking for more money than they're willing to pay. I hope he gets it, but it's not going to happen here.

As far as re-signing KJ, except for the defensive backfield, there are too many good, low cost players on the defense to let someone go in order to sign Wright.

Whatever KJ is asking, teams shouldn't hesitate to sign him for that if they need a linebacker and have the cap space.

Brock is pretty much spot on most of the time... Pete and John are not without fault, and should be lambasted at times....IMO...

BASF

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":2rocf7jp said:
425HawkSpark":2rocf7jp said:
KJ won’t effect Brooks. Last season KJ, Bobby, and Brooks were the three starting libebackers. It would be most likely Barton losing reps.

KJ would be taking reps away from Taylor who at this point in their careers is far more physically gifted and his ability to get after the QB is far more important to the position with the defense we will be running. If we re-sign him, it will be as a backup and I don't believe that this team would benefit from a guy who should be a starter as second string. It could create a rift in the locker room.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":2vuxlj0q said:
425HawkSpark":2vuxlj0q said:
Brooks is playing in kJ spot. Yeah you can move brooks over and keep 3 LBs on the field. That right side LB is first to leave for a nickel look or extra safety because adams is blitzing. We drafted brooks to take over for KJ or eventual Bobby. Bringing back KJ without an injury to someone then you are throwing in the towel on our high draft pick.

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":32kklo8j said:
nIdahoSeahawk":32kklo8j said:
425HawkSpark":32kklo8j said:
Brooks is playing in kJ spot. Yeah you can move brooks over and keep 3 LBs on the field. That right side LB is first to leave for a nickel look or extra safety because adams is blitzing. We drafted brooks to take over for KJ or eventual Bobby. Bringing back KJ without an injury to someone then you are throwing in the towel on our high draft pick.
Or you sit KJ on those downs instead.

Smellyman

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":38rkc9xq said:
nIdahoSeahawk":38rkc9xq said:
425HawkSpark":38rkc9xq said:

Brooks played WIL (kJ's old spot) and KJ went to SAM last year. It was a great match for both of them. KJ played his best ball at SAM.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
For those who didn't watch games last season, and are saying Brooks has made KJ nothing more than depth, here's a video which explains the reality.

KJ #67 top 100 players 2021, SAM:
[youtube]slxgGBmOgbI[/youtube]

SAM will likely play about 500 snaps in this D, and KJ will be ready to take over if Brooks/Wagner get hurt. Taylor hasn't looked good in coverage, and they should be saving him for what he's good at, rushing the passer.

Not to mention his leadership qualities.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
I thought the same thing after BBC went down but Cody Barton looked like a super star against the chargers. Yeah it was preseason but his dominant performance in this preseason game reminded me of Frank Clark's dominating preseason performance early in his career. Usually those who completely out perform everyone on the field in the preseason turn into solid starting players. Good players rise above the rest in the preseason(besides those playing in the second half with the rest of the 3rd and 4th stringers)

Barton looked good. He knew how to read defenses. He was solid when it came to tackling. He knew how to get between the lineman to make plays in the run game and against the QB on passing plays.

Listen, ive been a big fan of KJ ever since we drafted him. I'm not saying I consistently can tell if a rookie will be a star in the NFL, but when it came to KJ I was spot on. He should have made Probowls. He deserved to be paid higher than he was in the best years of his career. Many can't argue that one day he deserves to be in the ring of honor for what he's done for us his entire career. His filled in nicely at MLB when Bobby had to miss a game, he's been able to play both outside LB positions. He's always been solid in the run game. A great locker room guy. We we're blessed to have him on our team for so many years

Unfortunately, as our team has evolved the pass few years and the draft capital we've spent on Brooks, BBC, Barton, and Taylor, compound with the fact that we have to pay guys like Adams, Diggs, Carson, Lockett, DK soon, etc. He just can fit inside the budget.

Even at his age he should have to settle playing for the vet minimum. Especially after the year he just had and also the years that came before it. He hasn't shown much signs of aging though there's always a time I'm every athletes career where younger guys will out perform even some of the most savy vets. They are quicker. Cheaper. A better long term investment overall.

Because of all of that he unfortunately can't fit into our plans. If we sustain another injury and is willing to play for near the vet minimum then yeah we will see the Seahawks or another team for this season

Right now the Seahawks are happy with the young guys at that position and rightfully so

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
He is a free agent, right? And not signed by any other team yet? I love KJ, but there's reasons.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I totally disagree with everyone who says that having KJ Wright on our team is a problem IN ANY WAY!

We have a long history of 3 solid line backers with Pete Carroll. I don't think we've even scratched the surface of even coming close too potential success without 3 solid line backers!

We have 1 option for 3 solid line backers this season:

Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, (insert 3rd piece).

Whether it's Jordyn Brooks or Cody Barton that's the question. WE ALL KNOW BOBBY WAGNER AND KJ WRIGHT ARE OUR BEST 2 GUYS HANDS DOWN!

The chemistry those 2 have is so much greater than any half step advantage on some random play!

Jordyn Brook seems to raw to me from what I've seen... he seems overrated. I DO NOT TRUST HIM TO MAKE A GAME WINNING PLAY IN PASS PROTECTION... I do trust KJ WRIGHT.

Cody Barton is hard to judge, seems solid but Like I've said... THE QUESTION IS WHO IS THE 3RD LINEBACKER BEHIND KJ AND BOBBY???

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Taylor really looked great against the Chargers he flat beat a LT around the edge like he was standing still. Barton looks like a different LB this season his speed is real. I don't see KJ being resigned at this time.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And again, 32 teams have passed on signing KJ. It's not just the Hawks. Just sayin.......
I hope they do bring him back, but you start to wonder if he won't play until a team has a major injury to a LB. Could be the same thing for Sherm.