How important is the LT

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd say having a great LT is a luxury. We have had the best in Walter Jones and we did see some of the best OL I can remember seeing. But I would also say we have had a ton of success and teams can still have success without spending their Top 15 pick on an OT. These are the top 10 passing teams from 2021, who they started at Left Tackle and where that Tackle was drafted only 4 of the 10 were drafted top 15 picks and only one of the best passing teams had a Top 10 pick.

TeamQBPassing YdsLTPicked
TBBrady5,316Donovan Smith#34
LACHerbert5,014Rashawn Slater#13
LARStafford4,886Andrew Witworth#55
KCMahomes4,839Orlando Brown#83
LVCarr4,804Kolton Miller#15
CinBurrow4,611Jonah Williams#11
DalPrescott4,449Tyron Smith#9
BufAllen4,407Dion Dawkins#63
MinCousins4,221Christian Darrisaw#23
GBRodgers4,115David Bakhtiari#109

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
That's really thought provoking. Thanks for posting.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Kudos. Really interesting. I'd say based on all this data, LT is immeasurably important, especially for Right-handed QBs.

The position is widely regarded as one you pay top 5 or 6 players on your team.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
There was only 6 starting LT's that were picked in the top 10 beginning the 2021 season out of all 32 teams. So I'd say yeah, that's a luxury picking one that high.

But 21 of the 32 starters we're 1st round picks, so I'd say chances of getting a decent one really drops off after that 1st round.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'd say it's extremely important to have a stud LT. That doesn't mean it has to be a top 10 pick. If you want to know how important certain positions are just look and the salary at that position. LT is probably 3rd behind QB and DE.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
In today's NFL, I don't think it matters much if at all relative to LT or RT.

The whole premise behind the LT (weak side/blind side) is largely moot today with teams predominantly using flex TEs or none at all. And defenses move their pass rushers to either side liberally to get their best player in the best matchup. So if your RT is poop, you'll see a steady diet of Nick Bosa or whomever terrorizes your passer that day.

toffee

Reaction score
How important?? As important as a 9th overall pick!!!

As is, our OL may have a 9th pick and a UPFA at tackle.

Own The West

Reaction score
All the LT's listed above are Pro Bowlers and All Pros except Williams (2nd year) and Darrisaw (R). So yeah, it's very important. Draft position isn't what makes them great though, you just generally get better athletes in the early rounds and 1st rounders generally get more chances than late rounders.

RunDownhill

Reaction score
The same argument can be made for all positions except maybe QB. But even then, its 50/50 on the winning Super Bowl QB being a top-15 pick.

The LT or the QB's blind side OT is the most important o-lineman on passing plays. If someone throws a punch at you and you have your back to him, you are going to get knocked out. Whereas someone who is facing you and throws a punch, you see it coming and have a chance to dodge the punch.

Latest posts