How good is Geno?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Geno is actually reminding me a lot of 2007 Hasselbeck right now, that is a good thing.

Rainger

Reaction score
I'm just messing around. He seems overall immune to criticism often on here. Didn't see one person mention he should have had 3 picks.
Doesn't matter, he's ballin. We're in good hands with Geno.
Hmmm I seem to remember a previous QB that was immune to criticism here until the end.

Geno is not a saint but he is playing as good at QB than any others in the league right now. Does he have faults? Sure but, i think we should be very happy with the ride he is giving us.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
you're kidding right? Immune to criticism???? Now THAT is funny. Hass wasn't, and neither was the last guy. Not even close. Both of those guys drove us crazy plenty of times. Like them or not, they BOTH got blasted all the time. They're QB's, that's how it goes.
That's part of the position, always has been.

But that's in the past. If you're an NFL QB, you're going to get criticized from time to time. I doubt he cares much, he feeds off of it.

toffee

Reaction score
you're kidding right? Immune to criticism???? Now THAT is funny. Hass wasn't, and neither was the last guy. Not even close. Both of those guys drove us crazy plenty of times. Like them or not, they BOTH got blasted all the time. They're QB's, that's how it goes.
That's part of the position, always has been.

But that's in the past. If you're an NFL QB, you're going to get criticized from time to time. I doubt he cares much, he feeds off of it.
May wanna talk with J63 first, lol, before posting. J63 has all the proofs that his man was faultless.

StoneCold

Reaction score
There was another in in the red zone that should have been picked. Even the announcer mentioned that he was extremely lucky to not have 3 picks.
I'm not just making it up, that's all I'm saying. It happened. And it doens't matter, because he overcame it.
Not accusing you of making it up. I am old and have a lousy memory. :)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
yeah, good point. No secret that I WAS a big Russ fan. WAS. So glad he's gone. John might actually BE Russ :unsure:

Funny you mention the memory thing. Our house is post it's and notes everywhere to just remember anything these days.
Or the good old walk across the office.........then forget WHY you walked across the office. Damn

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
yeah, good point. No secret that I WAS a big Russ fan. WAS. So glad he's gone. John might actually BE Russ :unsure:

Funny you mention the memory thing. Our house is post it's and notes everywhere to just remember anything these days.
Or the good old walk across the office.........then forget WHY you walked across the office. Damn
I've thought about the fact that John may be Russ before myself. His defense of Wilson was filled with more fervor than that of Sioux Hawks running defense for Bevell.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Even when he was playing like shit, blatant refusal to just admit it and accept it. You can like a player and be critical of him.
Glad John and the last guy moved on. SO glad.
Look where we are right now. Future is bright. And the actual fleecing that happened? Very satisfying.
Now let's keep winning and make the playoffs.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Yeah, he's absolutely held the ball too long, which is why inponted out that it was good to see him break the pocket when things didn't develop quickly enough.

And I did say he had a couple of poor throws last game. He had a couple against the Chargers as well.

He's had a couple in every game. AND I'm also aware that he's completing passes at league leading rate and improved upon that rate in a 'bad game.

He absolutley isn't flawless. All I can say is that when he's made mistakes, it seems he's learning from them. Doesn't mean he won't make new mistakes again.

Smith's average pass traveled just 3 yards past the line of scrimmage in the Cardinals game on Sunday. This week, @pittpnthrs's description of Geno as "dinking and dunking" would actually have been correct.

Smith was still the 11th-best QB by DVOA for the week, and he ended up with a 106.9 passer rating, a 76.3 QBR, and completed 76.5% of his passes with a very respectable average yards per attempt of 8.1.

The way he owned up to his mistake on the pick-six, then put the team on his shoulders after that, impressed the crap out of me.

Of course he'll make mistakes. He had less than two full seasons' worth of starts before this season started, and even the most seasoned veteran superstar has bad days. But I like the way he responded to his biggest mistake on Sunday, and I'm beyond thrilled with his overall play this season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hey, if dinking and dunking is working, keep doing it. It uses up a LOT more time of possession in the long run.
But the theories that he can't throw down field? Not even close to true. Like Pete would say: he can do all the stuff.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hey, if dinking and dunking is working, keep doing it. It uses up a LOT more time of possession in the long run.
But the theories that he can't throw down field? Not even close to true. Like Pete would say: he can do all the stuff.
Geno is just running the WCO like it was intended. This is exactly how Holmgren approached his offenses. Start the game with heavy passing, routes that were sometimes like long hand offs. Every so often dial in a long pass to get defenses to back off. Continue stretching the defense horizontally. In the second half then Holmgren switched to heavy doses of Shaun Alexander.

That was always the philosophy behind the traditional WCO. We're running it with a more modern bent to that same philosophy. Receivers being used in the rushing game, lots of pre snap motion, we're stretching defenses out more horizontally. We also really like coming out in the three TE set and passing (12 personnel I think is the term). Since we have three competent TE's, it's hard for defenses to sell out to stop the run.

In addition to this, Geno is making some really difficult throws when he is asked to throw deep. What people are perceiving as dinking and dunking is just a conventional offense in the NFL. It's just that our last guy didn't really have that skill in his arsenal. There were times where we tried to get him to develop it (2015, 2018) but he always defaults back to what he knew.

I think that it's been so long since Seahawk fans have seen an offense functioning as intended that it's causing a bit of cognisant dissonance when combined with Geno's lack of success before. Geno is simply running the offense like it was designed. This is the WCO offense and it is reminiscent of the one being ran over in LA by McVay. Even Stafford runs the offense (when healthy) in a similar fashion.

Is Geno as good as Wilson was at the deep ball? No, but he was historically good at that if not one of the best at those 20 yard + plays. Geno is still very competent in this regard, sure he's missed a few but he's also made some highlight reel throws deep down the field.

This is what a modern NFL offense looks like. We've just been conditioned by Wilson for so long that it's a bit jarring to see a modern NFL offense being ran as intended. The same system is being ran in Denver and we see how smoothly that is going right now. A majority of modern NFL passing games are predicated on the dink and dunk passing game and stretching defenses out horizontally.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score

Yeah. For me, that's "the thing" about Smith's magical season so far. Even when he hasn't been great, he's been pretty damn good. And when one aspect of the offense isn't working, Smith adjusts and does something else. He didn't do as much long passing in this last game as he had in some of the previous ones, but he completed more than 75% of his passes and converted a load of third downs. The Seahawks were 10/15 on third downs, and on the season, the Seahawks are at 45.79%, good for fifth-best in the league.

Like @SoulfishHawk says, if it's working, keep doing it. Putting it in a way I like to think about it, take whatever the defense is giving you. If they take away the long ball with two-high looks or something, take the underneath stuff that makes available and keep those chains moving. What I loved about the Seahawks' first two second-half scoring drives this last Sunday is that in addition to putting points on the board, they took a lot of time off the clock. Those two drives together add up to 13:21, almost an entire quarter. The third TD drive was really fast - only 1:18 off the clock - but that's because the Cardinals were using their time-outs to stop the clock, and also because Fant rumbled for a total gain of 51 yards on the first play of the drive, greatly shortening the distance the Seahawks had to go to score. And that final TD put the game out of reach, with Walker scoring the final touchdown with 2:14 remaining, the Cardinals out of time outs, and the Seahawks up by ten points.

renofox

Reaction score
The Cards DBs were playing very well.

Result: Geno held the ball longer because receivers weren't open as often, and went shorter because those were the routes that they were able to use scheme to get open.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
We also really like coming out in the three TE set and passing (12 personnel I think is the term).

12 personnel would be one running back (that's the "1"), two tight ends (that's the "2"), and two wide receivers (the offense has five linemen, a QB, and five other players, so once the single RB and two TEs are specified, the remaining two players to make up the 11 on the offense are WRs).

Three-tight-end sets are often "13" personnel - one RB (the "1"), three TEs (the "3"), and one WR (of the 11 players on offense in 13 personnel, five are linemen, one is a QB, one is a RB, three are TEs, and that leaves just one spot for a WR).

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
12 personnel would be one running back (that's the "1"), two tight ends (that's the "2"), and two wide receivers (the offense has five linemen, a QB, and five other players, so once the single RB and two TEs are specified, the remaining two players to make up the 11 on the offense are WRs).

Three-tight-end sets are often "13" personnel - one RB (the "1"), three TEs (the "3"), and one WR (of the 11 players on offense in 13 personnel, five are linemen, one is a QB, one is a RB, three are TEs, and that leaves just one spot for a WR).
Ty for the correction.

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
There was another in in the red zone that should have been picked. Even the announcer mentioned that he was extremely lucky to not have 3 picks.
I'm not just making it up, that's all I'm saying. It happened. And it doens't matter, because he overcame it.
But is he learning from it? I think he is. The better he gets the tougher the competition is going to be against him. We are going to see the league adjust to him some team is not going to drop those int's how will he handle that when he finds him self down by 3 Td's? Remains to be seen but thats why its so good to have Pete, because pete will keep his mental side where it needs to be. And Waldron will help him work out of tough jams. Maybe he will lose that game maybe not buy its his opportunity to be excellent.

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Whatever he's doing, or how he's being coached up.....it's working. Good enough for me.
The thing is its not really criticism from me its just something to talk about rather than the same ol same old stuff. Keasley seems to understand the more technical parts of the game and thats why i was asking.