Guy Lafleur dies, age 70

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Growing up a Maple Leafs fan, it sucked watching Lafleur fly from one end of Maple Leaf Gardens to the other, to pot another beauty.
But we all knew he was the greatest of his generation. Prolific goal-score and 5 time Stanley Cup winner.

He was being treated for lung cancer.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's given a state funeral.

Boycie

Reaction score
Mike Bossy last week(who I watched absolutely kill my Canucks in the 82 final), and now the Flower this week. It sucks watching your heroes and villains pass away.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Guy used to smoke darts on the bench and in between periods. Hockey legend like Mike Bossy.

OP
OP
Palmegranite

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Some parallels to a certain 33 year old football star that is no longer with the Seahawks.
In the 1980s, 33 year old Lafleur was asked to reign in his free-wheeling style for a more defensive style by then-coach Jacques Lemaire.
He told them to pound sand and retired.
A few years later he was back with the Rangers, doing his thing, followed by 2 more years in Quebec.

He will always be remembered foremost as a Montreal Canadien.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I grew up a Blackhawks fan in the era of the Original Six. I was born and raised in Chicagoland and followed the Blackhawks fervently. With only six teams, the talent level of the league was through the roof. Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita were my childhood heroes.

The icons of the game in that era were Gordie Howe, Jean Beliveau, Frank Mahovlich, Phil Esposito and Bobby Orr just to name a few.

Guy Lefleur was such a fast skater. That's what I remember the most about him.

RIP, brother.