Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina QB to keep an eye on

ivotuk

Reaction score

PFF 2022 Preseason Davey O’Brien Award Watch List: Best QB in college football​

Postseason awards are one part popularity, one part performance and all too often another part sheer dumb luck that voting broke a player's way. Look no further than former Cincinnati cornerback Coby Bryant winning the Jim Thorpe award over teammate Sauce Gardner — a top-five draft pick — a year ago. (STUPID STATEMENT!!)

Still, at the quarterback position, it’s usually those first two parts that win out. The performance part we feel we can track well at PFF, but it’s the popularity part that often revolves around one thing: winning. If you’re not leading a top-20 program by season’s end, you’re not winning this award. Let’s handicap the field to see where college football’s best quarterbacks lie.

McCall is a poor man’s Justin Herbert, and he possesses one of the most desired attributes a passer can have, which is good downfield ball placement.

Ball placement is even more important than completion percentage, because completion percentage does not always reflect accuracy.

There is a difference between a pass that’s thrown high across the middle, when the receiver has to go up and make an athletic acrobatic catch and he gets tackled immediately and that same pass that hits the receiver as he runs right through it and picks up additional yardage after the catch.

McCall led the nation in 2021 with 207.65 passer efficiency.

To put that into perspective, Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud was ranked second at 186.56.

To put McCall’s passing efficiency number into more perspective, his 207.65 number ranks No. 1 all-time in college football since 1956.

Where did other notable QB’s rank during their college careers:

Evaluation:​

Longer frame paired with solid athleticism to move on the ground. Has the legs to escape the pocket and pick up easy yards the defense gives him. Throwing mechanics are clean, has a high release and the ball comes out with a tight spiral. Ball has a bit of jump out of the hand, good zip overall. McCall’s arm talent is above average and would play in the NFL. He’s able to throw outside the numbers with velocity and get the ball to the target on time. Was asked to command the short-intermediate parts of the field and had good ball placement

Sun Belt Prospects To Watch For In The 2023 NFL Draft​

Expect these guys to be on draft radars when April 2023 comes around.

QB Grayson McCall - Coastal Carolina

McCall was one of those players that would have been one of the first quarterbacks taken in the 2022 draft, had he chosen not to return to school. In his time with the Chanticleers, he’s frequently displayed exceptional ability in the pocket and throwing on the move. It’s a stretch to call him a running quarterback, but he can move quite well when he needs to.

In 2021, McCall was named the Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year for the second consecutive season and was an All-Sun Belt first team for the second straight year. His other 2021 accolades included Pro Football Network Sun Belt QB of the Year, Phil Steele Sun Belt Conference All-Conference first team, Pro Football Network All-Sun-Belt first team, Maxwell Award semifinalist, Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award semifinalist, and more.

His 2020 accolades look very similar. With a college resume that’s already tough to fit on one page, it’s no wonder he’s at the top of this list.

https://youtu.be/O36D8UP3ArQ

https://youtu.be/cEXc2Pk_XN0

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I really like this guy. He makes quick decisions, and gets the ball out of his hand with accurate throws that are easily catchable. I read that he's a "one read QB," which is not true. There were plenty of times when he would have to come off his initial read, move around, then toss the ball in to a tight window, or sometimes, a wide open window. He can run too. At 6'3" 210# I wouldn't want him running a whole lot, but he's plenty capable.

Watching this video, I found myself several times, shaking my head and saying "Wow!" The first comparison that came to mind was Joe Montana.
I loved watching Montana play, and had Joe not gotten so beat up (before receivers and QBs were protected. How is Dave Krieg still walking?), and played in the 21st Century he would be giving Tom Brady a run for his money.

Grayson McCall || Coastal Carolina Quarterback || 2021 Highlights

Nov 30, 2021 Grayson McCall 2021 season highlights. 2,558 Passing Yards, 23 Touchdowns, 3 Interceptions, 73% Completion.

Great breakdown:

The Magician of College Football | Grayson McCall FILM BREAKDOWN

Jul 6, 2022 Grayson McCall has NFL talent, and makes plays that a majority of quarterbacks wouldn't even attempt. His magical plays make for some entertaining highlights.

Grayson McCall (Phenomenal) STATS:

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

2019 Coastal Carolina Sun Belt FR QB 2 4 4 100.0 25 6.3 11.3 1 0 235.0

2020 Coastal Carolina Sun Belt FR QB 11 172 250 68.8 2488 10.0 11.5 26 3 184.3 (Includes Bowl Statistics)

2021 Coastal Carolina Sun Belt SO QB 11 176 241 73.0 2873 11.9 13.6 27 3 207.6 (Includes Bowl Statistics)

m0ng0

Reaction score
Had a nice game yesterday,. It appears the running game was clicking so he didn't have to pass much 12/17 174yds 3td passes, 1 rushing.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Argghhh...I missed it again! Can never find it on my TV. Guess I need to add more apps to my Roku!

GemCity

Reaction score
Looks good! His release looks a little weird to me but, it’s not effecting his rifle of an arm.

Ruminator

Reaction score
If Seahawks end up snagging him, hope he's able to check down receivers, or at least can improve on so doing. Saw only one or two instances of that in the vids above, and when it did happen, it seemed a bit panicky (though maybe Carolina's OL gets the blame for that, but I was only focusing on the QB). In passing plays, my observation is that he really locks onto the receiver he wants to throw to. Maybe that's not hurting him much now, but the NFL is a whole 'nother world. Other than that, the guy looks intriguing.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Bummer done for the year with a foot injury, quite a career, injury could cause him to slip and could be a real steal for a team that knows what to do with him.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221110-101024.png
    Screenshot_20221110-101024.png
    299.3 KB · Views: 6