Geno named starting QB vs Steelers

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
kind of is. Smith has sucked so far in Practice. Not a surprise because he's terrible but, Lock is already outplaying him in practice

Rosco

Reaction score
It has to do with some loyalty PC has for Smith since he’s been in Seattle for some time.

sutz

Reaction score
But we fans don't see everything the coaches do. Hell, I on the "Lock will probably start game #1" bandwagon myself, but at this stage of the pre-season, I'm not suprised Geno is up first. I'm sure Lock will get his chances.

It's only pre-season game 1.

samwize77

Reaction score
Think of it this way......maybe in the coaches minds they feel Lock won the comp. However, to cement those thoughts they would rather see what Smith can do against the Squeelers first team.

It, of course, could work the other way, but I think I'd rather see if Smith can hold up. I can not remember, maybe someone here can, but didn't RW kill it in camp but they still started Flynn to start pre-season?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the reason Smith looks bad and Lock looked good was because they were giving Lock the easy plays and Geno the more advanced plays, or something to that effect.

Edit: Found it.

No, it’s because when Lock was on the field the offense was running the dumbed-down-for-Jared-Goff version of the offense that reduces the complexity of the reads for the quarterback, while when Smith was under center they ran the drop-back-read-it-and-sling-it-like-Matthew-Stafford version of the same offense.

audioeffects

Reaction score
All of this will make sense at some point in the season when we realize we don’t have our franchise QB. Sure would love to see Lock smash that quick take to pieces ‘tho!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It’s pre season so so what. I’m curious how much player pressure for Geno to start played a role - if at all. He’s been here a while and has friends on the team and PC needs to make it very clear Geno was given a chance even if Lock starts game 1 of the regular season. Again, more a question than a statement.

sutz

Reaction score
Who start pre-season games 2 & 3 might be more indicative of how the competition has been going.

Spohawks

Reaction score
This is easy!
Why get your starting QB who is probably not fully comfortable with the playbook killed against 1s?

Let him play VS the 2s so he can learn at a slower pace/less pressure.

Who will start at the start of the season is all talk right now, even for the coaches. They know Smith, so a few series is fine. Give lock a few quarters so they know what they have.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think there is a need for the perception that Lock has won the start if thats how it plays out. The amateur psychologist in me is thinking the best way to build Lock up is for him to overcome the adversity of the trade and a QB competition where he started 2nd.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the reason Smith looks bad and Lock looked good was because they were giving Lock the easy plays and Geno the more advanced plays, or something to that effect.

Edit: Found it.

What was the excuse last season for Geno looking terrible?

Jac

Reaction score
I think there is a need for the perception that Lock has won the start if thats how it plays out. The amateur psychologist in me is thinking the best way to build Lock up is for him to overcome the adversity of the trade and a QB competition where he started 2nd.

I think this is right. If you make him the starter this weekend, the perception is it's his job to lose. Let him use the preseason to play into it. Just like Wilson used the preseason to win the job over Flynn. If Lock hasn't outright won the job already, Geno has the first opportunity to lose (or win) the job.