Final 4 teams: All offense oriented

JPatera76

Reaction score
I would say the 4 teams remaining or whatever are probably the most complete teams on offense and defense. Some might tilt more to one way other the other but not by much.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Agreed. All 4 teams are very good on both sides of the ball. Cincy, chiefs, Philly all have elite offenses and San Fran isn’t far behind. I’d say the Niners are the only team to lean defensively but to JP’s point they’re very good everywhere

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
OP here. I totally butchered this thread title, which has caused some confusion. My bad. What I meant to say is that the 4 remaining teams (as well as all of the participants from the last few SB's) have had head coaches with offensive backgrounds. I was not implying that these are not great defensive teams too and that they are only there because of their offenses. I just find it interesting that head coaches with offensive backgrounds are having more success as of late. I'm wondering if there is some sort of advantage to that or if it is just a coincidence?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’m with you on that premise. This stuff goes in cycles but currently offensive minded coaches have an advantage

JPatera76

Reaction score
Especially with the NFL changing rules in their desire for ninety point games to bring in more casual viewers.
So true, sometimes its like watching an NBA game or Arena Football game with how quickly the score can go back and forth or even UP lol

Marvin49

Reaction score
Not saying we can't win another one with Pete, but you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in today's NFL if your HC doesn't have a background in offense. I think all the teams in the last 3 SBs have had head coaches with a background in offense.

I'll just put it this way...

OF COURSE defensive head coaches have had a ton of success.

but...

IMO I'd always want an offensive minded HC.

Reason: Its about continuity of scheme. Defense has scheme as well of course, but so much of defense is reactive. IMO, its MUCH easier to be an offensive coach who runs the offense and hire a good DC than be a defensive HC and hire a good OC.

I remember Alex Smith getting like 7 different OCs in his first 7 years. Thats how you kill a QB.

Defense? If you hire someone from same scheme tree or promote from within, I don't think its nearly as damaging.

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
I'll just put it this way...

OF COURSE defensive head coaches have had a ton of success.

but...

IMO I'd always want an offensive minded HC.

Reason: Its about continuity of scheme. Defense has scheme as well of course, but so much of defense is reactive. IMO, its MUCH easier to be an offensive coach who runs the offense and hire a good DC than be a defensive HC and hire a good OC.

I remember Alex Smith getting like 7 different OCs in his first 7 years. Thats how you kill a QB.

Defense? If you hire someone from same scheme tree or promote from within, I don't think its nearly as damaging.
You make some good points.

flv2

Reaction score
Do you realize that the Eagles are #1 against the pass and also in sacks?
That the 49ers are #2 against the run, the Bills are #4, the Bengals are #5, and the Chiefs are #8?
That the 49ers are #2 in interceptions while the Bills are #4 and the Eagles are #6?

Basically, all 4 teams that remain all have very good defenses.
Maybe they're aggressive defenses rather than passive defenses. Maybe they're passive defenses with really, really good anticipation. Maybe those teams along with the Bills and Cowboys have been the best 6 teams all year. The Divisional round had the top 7 teams by points differential.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
OP here. I totally butchered this thread title, which has caused some confusion. My bad. What I meant to say is that the 4 remaining teams (as well as all of the participants from the last few SB's) have had head coaches with offensive backgrounds. I was not implying that these are not great defensive teams too and that they are only there because of their offenses. I just find it interesting that head coaches with offensive backgrounds are having more success as of late. I'm wondering if there is some sort of advantage to that or if it is just a coincidence?
With the original post I took it as the background of the HC and IMO it goes in cycles I feel the offensive coaches are more open minded and willing to think outside the box while the defensive coaches are the better motivators. For me the HC is the facilitator and the coordinators and position coaches do the actual coaching and run the Xs and Os

Remember when Don James was coaching at Washington and he had the “perch” keeping a watchful eye on everything and not having real contact with players at practice