Farrar On Lock: Ouch

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Most of you seasoned, .NET alumni will recall our own Doug Farrar. Before he became affiliated with many national sports media outlets, he was my original Editor-In-Chief. Immensely gifted with a supreme football IQ, I always look forward to reading his articles. I stumbled across this one today, it was actually written back in March but it's still relevant. Let's just say it's not a ringing endorsement, but it comes off as fairly assessed all the same.

What do the Seahawks think they're getting in Drew Lock?

AgentDib

Reaction score
YPA on deep passes is an important stat, but it's important to remember that it's really a team statistic. Last year the Broncos were relying on a couple of rookie WRs as their deep threats, whereas the Seahawks had two of the best deep threats in the NFL.

That's the main reason why I think Lock is an intriguing pickup for the Seahawks in particular. He has the physical tools and strong arm, and we're putting him together with pieces that should enable to him succeed. We haven't invested anything in him really, can get the information that we need, and then make informed decisions from there based on what we've observed.

That's also why I think it's important to keep our good receiving corps despite not having a franchise QB. Many teams run into the problem of not being able to properly evaluate their young QBs when they don't have enough weapons for the QBs to use. Look at the young QBs who have succeeded recently and they are all surrounded by weapons. Mahomes in KC, Burrow getting Chase to throw to, Josh Allen throwing to Diggs, Herbert throwing to Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, etc.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm actually intrigued to see what Lock can do as well in this system, with these coaches and talent on offense. My concern lies in the points Farrar brought up about his inability to anticipate, throw his receivers open, the inconsistencies on the deep ball (as he refers to it as "The Spicoli" which is quite funny), late reads, poor mechanics and so-forth. Perhaps with the new environment and culture some of those things can be corrected. As you said, we haven't really invested much in him so if he tanks, he tanks...Boo hoo, we get an even better spot in next year's QB-friendly draft.

nanomoz

Reaction score
There was a Broncos fan that posted here about Lock, and his analysis said a lot of the same stuff. Especially about how Lock doesn't know how to throw receivers open.

I want to say the thread title was "Drew Lock is not Josh Allen" or something.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
What if Lock sits behind Geno to learn the system for a year. What if Geno Smith finally lives up to the accolades, arm talent and first round pick and starts balling out like we all know deep down he actually can. Dude was dumb to get the DUI and then verbally rip into the cops for arresting him but at the end of the day if he gets his head right, everything else will follow including wins and Lombardi trophies. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
What if Lock sits behind Geno to learn the system for a year. What if Geno Smith finally lives up to the accolades, arm talent and first round pick and starts balling out like we all know deep down he actually can. Dude was dumb to get the DUI and then verbally rip into the cops for arresting him but at the end of the day if he gets his head right, everything else will follow including wins and Lombardi trophies. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant
Nice fan fiction, but it's not happening. Geno was an unrestricted free agent this year. You want to know how many teams were lining up to sign him? Zero. This despite Geno Smith playing the most important position in all of football. You want to know why nobody wanted to sign him?

The secret is that he's not a good passer.

keasley45

Reaction score
It's hard to throw with anticipation if you're chop stepping , taking too many steps, or are generally not composed and compact in your drop. A lot of his problems arise from mechanics. What they were teaching him... or not, while he was there is beyond me.

Hopefully getting the guy to clean that part of his game up will put him in a better position to get the ball out when it needs to go.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Answer for Doug:
Seahawks may think they're getting a young, affordable QB, with starting experience, and with hope for the future.
Lock also seems to have an attitude of having fun playing, which could help practice sessions.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

And what if Largent won the Super Bowl MVP, has a ring or three? Or we beat the refs in SBXL*? Or Lynch runs it in for back-to-back Championships? Or, or, or, or............................................ ?

What. If.

Rosco

Reaction score
Lock won’t sit a year cause this coming year is the last year of his contract. They got this year to figure Lock out or move on.
Lock is already familiar with the WCO. Just needs to learn SW terminology.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
There was a Broncos fan that posted here about Lock, and his analysis said a lot of the same stuff. Especially about how Lock doesn't know how to throw receivers open.

I want to say the thread title was "Drew Lock is not Josh Allen" or something.
That wasn't really something Wilson was good at either. Especially with the big guys like Graham. If it wasn't a scramble drill it seemed like Wilson needed his guys to have a step or two on the DB before he'd throw.

nanomoz

Reaction score
That wasn't really something Wilson was good at either. Especially with the big guys like Graham. If it wasn't a scramble drill it seemed like Wilson needed his guys to have a step or two on the DB before he'd throw.
Ya, I think that's true. The only exception was recently with DK.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
One big thing Doug hit on is that Lock does really good
with PLAY ACTION passes..
Who else did this before they wanted to cook it up?
I can't remember that guy..

Smellyman

Reaction score
I don't know if Geno or Lock will be good. Lock is extremely gifted and Geno can be steady.

But I will keep saying this. A waldron O makes it easy on a QB. There was Just a post on reddit that Kupp was covered by a Linebacker the most in the NFL and Robert Woods wasn't far behind. This O tries to exploit Ds and make a lot of gimme throws for the QB. Geno could be the ultimate distributor and find all the spots RW refused to throw to. Lock could be that as he gets more comfortable and has the arm to push it downfield also. Couple that with Penny/Walker/Dallas/Homer, which Waldron O's like to run a lot too and you have a recipe for success.

Lock was just torn up and spit out be inept coaching at Denver. 3 OCs in three years and a curmudgeon in fangio.

I will wait to see before passing verdict.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I don't know if Geno or Lock will be good. Lock is extremely gifted and Geno can be steady.

But I will keep saying this. A waldron O makes it easy on a QB. There was Just a post on reddit that Kupp was covered by a Linebacker the most in the NFL and Robert Woods wasn't far behind. This O tries to exploit Ds and make a lot of gimme throws for the QB. Geno could be the ultimate distributor and find all the spots RW refused to throw to. Lock could be that as he gets more comfortable and has the arm to push it downfield also. Couple that with Penny/Walker/Dallas/Homer, which Waldron O's like to run a lot too and you have a recipe for success.

Lock was just torn up and spit out be inept coaching at Denver. 3 OCs in three years and a curmudgeon in fangio.

I will wait to see before passing verdict.
Waldron =/= McVay. We can't assume that he can do the same thing as McVay. That is a lot of presumption, we still don't even know if he's a decent OC.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Answer for Doug:
Seahawks may think they're getting a young, affordable QB, with starting experience, and with hope for the future.
Lock also seems to have an attitude of having fun playing, which could help practice sessions.
Yeah, I appreciated the analysis of Drew as a player but the supposedly hard to answer question at the heart of the piece seemed pretty easy to answer.

The Seahawks just traded a QB. Therefore, they had space in their locker room for a QB to, at the very least, compete for the starting job and short of that be a serviceable backup. It wasn't like they had to take on a huge contract or anything.

Even if the Seahawks did nothing but put him on the practice squad or even release him at the end of the pre-season, there was essentially no downside to taking Lock in this trade. It was just such a weird rhetorical device and I think colors the tone of the article.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Yeah, I appreciated the analysis of Drew as a player but the supposedly hard to answer question at the heart of the piece seemed pretty easy to answer.

The Seahawks just traded a QB. Therefore, they had space in their locker room for a QB to, at the very least, compete for the starting job and short of that be a serviceable backup. It wasn't like they had to take on a huge contract or anything.

Even if the Seahawks did nothing but put him on the practice squad or even release him at the end of the pre-season, there was essentially no downside to taking Lock in this trade. It was just such a weird rhetorical device and I think colors the tone of the article.
Yes, Doug's question was so easily answered that it detracted from his article.
I had never heard of Doug Farrar, until I saw the article.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score

I agree with this the most. Lock was nothing to do with the point of the trade. The focus was unloading a unhappy and problematic Wilson and his huge salary. Lock was just an extra piece thrown in by Denver that, as stated, they were done with anyway. I believe the Hawks real interests were the draft picks but willing to take the other fluff as well. Pete and co. are going to take a look at Lock/Geno this year in competition and then decide on drafting another QB or not depending on performance. They are not married to either and probably look at it as win/win for the future. Either one of them breaks out with a great year and we can build around them; or their failures put us in position to acquire a much better option in the draft next year. That is not saying we are going to "suck for Luck" or what ever as PC is very competitive and will do his best with what he has but let circumstances take us where it may.