DK Signing 3 Year/72m extension

WarHawks

Reaction score
This will help make Seattle a great landing spot for rookies and veterans alike. We are going to be absolutely stacked after next year's draft. I see a very bright near term future ahead. Great signing!

Ozzy

Reaction score
This is a fairly good price for DK considering what other receivers are going for. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. If a QB can't get him the ball it could get ugly. Someone above mentioned a one year stop gap and then all will be well but that's not a guarantee. Lets say you play yourself into a top 3 pick. A rookie QB probably isn't going to play much better in year two or three historically unless you hit gold with a generational player at the position. I could easily see this turning into an odd signing because he will be under utilized and leave once you are in a position to take advantage of his talents.

That's the negative angle. I think its a good price and I'm excited about it. I just hope Pete's gamble at the QB position pays off or this whole thing snowballs in more ways than one.

beaumaris

Reaction score
Great draft but dumb signing for Seahawks. What a waste, its only going to get worst when he starts acting up like a diva because the QB can't give him the ball.
Probably going to see more passes coming his way.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Seahawks: B+
DK: A
Fans: A+

Seahawks:
It's a good contract for the Seahawks, but they continue to cost themselves money by not going with 5-6 yr deals which is bog standard when re-signing young superstar players. Even if it would've cost them a couple more million APY, that will pale in comparison to what the going rate will be in 3 years.

DK:
Leveraged this well, he nearly got a fully guaranteed contract, and he can get another bite at the apple in 3 years. If he wanted to, he could've squabbled for a little bit mo' APY, so I can't give him an A+, but he won the negotiation.

Fans:
It would've been an outright catastrophe if he wasn't re-signed. The fans have very little to cheer for, and if DK was on the way out it would've been soul crushing.
Well, let's see him play more outstanding football and earn his next contract. That benefit the Hawks now. Even 5-6 year deals are being renegotiated. What's to say DK won't prefer to extend in 2 years if things are good and doesn't want to risk just one more season?

Donn2390

Reaction score
Great draft but dumb signing for Seahawks. What a waste, its only going to get worst when he starts acting up like a diva because the QB can't give him the ball.
From what he has shown over the last few years, that is not going to happen, he seems like a really down to earth guy who appreciates what he has been given.
Why always go to the negative? Too many posters in here have lives that suck so they hate to see anyone else succeed.

balakoth

Reaction score
Wilson is the reason he became a star. What's he going to do with no real QB to throw to him?
This is hilarious here... Denver is that way... ROFL Wilson is the reason? HAHAHAHAHA

balakoth

Reaction score
Kinda like Wilson... sucks to be wide open but this "HOFer" can't see ya

SeargentJ2/82

Reaction score
They did that w/ Frank Clark & Earl Thomas.

Best thing to do was clean house and rip the band-aid. As soon as they got rid of Wilson and let Wagner go, that was the time to trade Metcalf. Jets were offering at least the 10th pick. We needed to start building on an elite defense.

Even if Metcalf stays productive, are we seriously going to pay Metcalf even more when his contract is up? Can we find a QB in 3 years to even justify paying that much for a WR.
Why do people want to get rid of great players when it's time to pay them, and take picks that are unknown. DK is a known commodity not a lotto ticket that you hope will turn into a winner.

SeargentJ2/82

Reaction score
From what he has shown over the last few years, that is not going to happen, he seems like a really down to earth guy who appreciates what he has been given.
Why always go to the negative? Too many posters in here have lives that suck so they hate to see anyone else succeed.
Agree a lot of guys on here think they know better, but in reality don't know as much as they think they do. I had to literally find a link for a guy on another site that said he wouldn't have given DK the money because he dropped to many balls. Showed him the list DK dropped 2 CeeDee Lamb and Jamar Chase dropped 3 times as many huh. Wierd

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Really happy with this contract. Good for all sides, IMHO.
I don't believe Metcalf would have played a full season or would have been fully engaged in 2022 without a new contract. I suspect the Seahawks might have gotten 6 games of half-assed effort for just over $1M, (after fines). Instead they'll get 51 fully engaged games for $58.2M and an option year at $18M. It's a deal that makes sense for both sides.
57 games ;)

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I think this is a great contract for all involved. Worst case, it all falls apart, and there isn't a QB in next year's draft, and we trade him then. I think we will be more successful than most believe.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
As productive as he's been, without question, his best is yet to come. Obviously he needs a QB to optimize his freakish talents but that is not his problem. He needs to get paid based on his own ability / capabilities. And TBH, I think he left money on the table with this rather team friendly extension. This notion that he shouldn't be paid top dollar becuz we don't have a top tier QB and his TDs or catch count might decline? Again, that's not DK's problem.

The only question remaining is were we wise to keep him in lieu of that very attractive offer made by the Jets? I'm less torn now considering we'll be paying him quite a bit less than what I expected he'd demand. OTOH, in terms of trade value, I think this extension makes him worth more now than he was back in April. *Not advocating a trade. Just sayin'.

JPPT1974

Reaction score
He is now officially the face of the team now that Wilson has moved one and so has Wagner

Fade

Reaction score
Well, let's see him play more outstanding football and earn his next contract. That benefit the Hawks now. Even 5-6 year deals are being renegotiated. What's to say DK won't prefer to extend in 2 years if things are good and doesn't want to risk just one more season?

That's the beauty of those 6 yr deals. In a few years, you're through the guaranteed money part, if he's still performing he's now a bargain. If he were to fall off a cliff for whatever reason, he can be cut/traded for very little cap ramifications. It's win-win for the org.

Instead DK's contract is nearly fully guaranteed he get's to make bank, and then go back to the negotiation table again in 3 yrs (with 1 year left on his new deal.) And ask for $35-40M APY as the salary cap, and thus salaries continue to increase.

Overall, it's still a good deal for the Seahawks, it's just these shorter deals with their superstars cost them so much damn money against their cap in the longrun it's ridiculous.

For example: Wags 4 yrs $40M extension made him the highest paid MLB in football at the time. Had it been, 6 yrs $60M. They would've avoided ever having to pay him $18M APY. These short 2nd contracts are killer.

Another: Lockett: 3 yrs 10M APY, now he's on 4 yrs $17.5M APY.

Imagine they had signed Lockett to 6 yrs $12M APY originally. Much better.
This is how the other teams in the league operate to maximize their cap space, and maintain flexibility in the later years of these contracts when the guarantees run out. It's not some magic trick, every team does it. Except the Seahawks.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Frank Clark last season w/ the Seahawks was easily top 10 DE. Earl was still top 5, they didn't want to re-sign him, that's when he started flipping out and burnt the bridge. Then he got hurt. The Seahawks handle that poorly.

Metcalf isn't top 10 or even the best WR on the team.

Im pretty sure they will stack the box regardless if they have dk or not. Geno and Lock are not threats and most teams know this.
Metcalf was a top-5 receiver last year for TDs. He wasn't top 5 for yards, but that's also a reflection of having Tyler on the team taking yards that DK might have gotten otherwise.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That's the beauty of those 6 yr deals. In a few years, you're through the guaranteed money part, if he's still performing he's now a bargain. If he were to fall off a cliff for whatever reason, he can be cut/traded for very little cap ramifications. It's win-win for the org.

Instead DK's contract is nearly fully guaranteed he get's to make bank, and then go back to the negotiation table again in 3 yrs (with 1 year left on his new deal.) And ask for $35-40M APY as the salary cap, and thus salaries continue to increase.

Overall, it's still a good deal for the Seahawks, it's just these shorter deals with their superstars cost them so much damn money against their cap in the longrun it's ridiculous.

For example: Wags 4 yrs $40M extension made him the highest paid MLB in football at the time. Had it been, 6 yrs $60M. They would've avoided ever having to pay him $18M APY. These short 2nd contracts are killer.

Another: Lockett: 3 yrs 10M APY, now he's on 4 yrs $17.5M APY.

Imagine they had signed Lockett to 6 yrs $12M APY originally. Much better.
This is how the other teams in the league operate to maximize their cap space, and maintain flexibility in the later years of these contracts when the guarantees run out. It's not some magic trick, every team does it. Except the Seahawks.
With every contract it's a negotiation to come to an agreement. It's easy to be critical of the shorter nature of the agreement but we just are not aware of what the positions of both sides were. Your math is undisputed, but to get to an agreement maybe the shorter term with the guaranteed money was the only way there. The team was able to keep the player and after this year's huge upward change in top WR deals keeping Metcalf was looking a bit suspect.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Seahawks: B+
DK: A
Fans: A+

Seahawks:
It's a good contract for the Seahawks, but they continue to cost themselves money by not going with 5-6 yr deals which is bog standard when re-signing young superstar players. Even if it would've cost them a couple more million APY, that will pale in comparison to what the going rate will be in 3 years.

DK:
Leveraged this well, he nearly got a fully guaranteed contract, and he can get another bite at the apple in 3 years. If he wanted to, he could've squabbled for a little bit mo' APY, so I can't give him an A+, but he won the negotiation.

Fans:
It would've been an outright catastrophe if he wasn't re-signed. The fans have very little to cheer for, and if DK was on the way out it would've been soul crushing.
I'd imagine that there's a reason why Adams is the only receiver worth a damn to get a 5 year contract this offseason, and no one got a 6. Doesn't seem very "bog standard" to me.

Kupp, DK, Deebo, and Terry all got 3. Godwin and Williams are on 3s as well.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
My girlfriend mentioned that to her, the NFL is a "TV show" and that DK is the main actor on the Seahawks!

With legalized gambling and all of the back-room deals of the NFL, sometimes it seems like Professional Football is almost like "Pro Wrasslin'". I have felt this way since Super Bowl XL against the Steelers. The recent problems with the Browns and Deshaun Watson are a perfect picture of how money is the most important consideration for the NFL...

The Seahawks have been avoiding controversial moves, such as acquiring Baker Mayfield, and are moving forward in their "own way" this year, where a player other than the quarterback could lead the team.

I say, DK for Team Captain!!!