DeAndre Hopkins released by AZ

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Damn, Zona taking the entire 22M dead cap hit.

He must have REALLY wanted out.

What surprises me about this story is that they decided to take the whole cap hit this season. If they waited six days (or just designated him as a post-June-1 cut today), instead of $21,077,776 in dead money on this year's cap, they would have had $10,538,890 of dead money on this year's cap and $10,538,886 of dead money on next year's cap.

I'm not sure why they would want to do it this way.

EDITED to add: I got those numbers from Overthecap, which is usually more accurate than Spotrac when they disagree, but most media reports seem to agree with the 2023 dead-money charge that's on Spotrac. In any case, the point stands. If they had designated him for a release after June 1, they could have basically taken half the dead money on this year's cap and half on next year's.

Maybe the idea is that they know they won't be competitive this year, and even if they're not likely to be a playoff contender next year, it could happen, so saving $10M-$11M of cap space next year could actually make a difference.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What surprises me about this story is that they decided to take the whole cap hit this season. If they waited six days (or just designated him as a post-June-1 cut today), instead of $21,077,776 in dead money on this year's cap, they would have had $10,538,890 of dead money on this year's cap and $10,538,886 of dead money on next year's cap.

I'm not sure why they would want to do it this way.

I think that says their plan is to just eat it all this year, be REALLY bad and clear it all out for next season going forward.

Jac

Reaction score
Next headline will probably be:

"Hopkins agree to terms with the 49ers"
He's previously indicated he wants to play with one of the great QB's, though. He obviously didn't mention the 49ers in that wish list.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I could see him signing with the Jets or Chiefs, however my crystal ball is a bit cloudy 🔮

GemCity

Reaction score
The story behind this will be….interesting.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Honestly I'm not that surprised they ate the whole hit this year. By taking the hit, they still actually gained cap space by his leaving as his cap hit was around $30 million. I believe that they have around $20 million left after taking this hit. Doubt they need even that much going forward this year and it opens up extra room for next season.

flv2

Reaction score
No good reason to willingly accelerate the 2024 dead money cap hit into the 2023 cap calculations.

kidhawk

Reaction score
No good reason to willingly accelerate the 2024 dead money cap hit into the 2023 cap calculations.

How do you figure? After taking the hit they still have over $20 million in space. Why hurt next years cap to add money for this year you aren’t using?

Besides that even taking the whole dead money this year they are still saving $8 million by cutting him.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Can’t shake the feeling he’s going to the donks