Could Drew Lock be the next Drew Brees?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Well, I'm certainly not writing him off. I do think that he'll get a fair chance to win the job here, that knowing what Geno can and can't do, and barring an unexpected entrance from Mayfield or Jimmy G, they'll give Lock a good look-see. I just don't think, based on past histories of failed QB's, that anyone should hold their breath.
This homer is holding my breath and crossing my finger that Lock turns the corner.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm not certain about LJ, but I believe Cinderella was always a princess.

Not until a rich powerful man rescued her because she couldn't get away from her circumstances on her own.

COULD Drew Lock be the next Drew Brees? I mean, it's possible. Like 4% possible.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Not until a rich powerful man rescued her because she couldn't get away from her circumstances on her own.

COULD Drew Lock be the next Drew Brees? I mean, it's possible. Like 4% possible.
I'll take those odds. I've been dealing with similar odds and have come through!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Brees' first 3 seasons at SD were awful, 29 TDs and 31 INTs. His next two at SD was 27 and 7 and 24 and 15. He started to get better his last two seasons at SD before NO.

Lock had 3 OCs in 3 years and a covid season hurting his time on the field to prepare and then a curmudgeon for a coach. He will be coming into a Waldron system that makes it easy for QB to have gimme throws every where and it made Goff look good.

Those are the excuses and positives. That being said I have no idea if Lock is good and he could suck. Just not willing to write him off like so many are.
Lock has a history of not playing good, that is why people are down on him. He's hasn't improved very much since he's entered the league. Blame it on coaching all you want, but bad coaches can ruin players. Sometimes the main problem lies at the feet of the player himself as well. Bridgewater walked into Fangio's system and did just fine, in fact he looked much better than Lock did on the field. Bridgewater himself had 3 different OC's and systems in three years.

You're also making a lot of assumptions about Shane Waldron. He's only in his second year of being an OC in the league. Previously he was just an assistant who worked his way up to being a passing game coordinator. His main job throughout his entire NFL career was quality control. You're making the assumption that he's going to be able to run the offense like McVay.

Just because a certain OC comes from a certain system, doesn't mean they're able to replicate it elsewhere. A prime example of this is Jeremy Bates. He came up in Mike Shanahan's system, yet on Seattle our system wasn't very Shanahanesc. You're making a lot of assumptions based on McVay's successes. Shane Waldron is an entirely different person and it's also important to note that he doesn't have anywhere near the degree of control that McVay has either.

Fade

Reaction score
.NET continues to provide the lol's

Can't beat out Geno Smith, but is the next Drew Brees?!

Hahahahahahahahah

chrispy

Reaction score
Realistically, and the original video admitted as much, Drew Lock probably isn't a 1st ballot HOF QB even if he does become a perennial starter. I think the point is that you can see significant improvement with a change in environment. Denver sincerely hopes their new QB improves aspects of his game in his new city.

2 things
1)It's hard to draft a franchise QB. ...and there are easily identified examples of QBs changing teams and becoming good to really good. It's beneficial to try both avenues because the odds are stacked against each individually. Matt Flynn didn't win the job 10 years ago, but maybe this time ....
2)I'm thoroughly convinced that the situation changes the outcome as much as the talent level. DK's better because he was drafted late and it motivated him. RW3 as well. Sherman always showed the extra effort because he felt slighted. Jamarcus Russel (and fill in your favorite bust) didn't fail because of talent. It was motivation (and maybe some environment). If Drew Lock goes through the same process in '22 as Drew Brees in '06, he could easily be Tannehill or Cousins or Bridgewater or Bledsoe and maybe a lot better- Brees, Alex Smith, Kurt Warner (cut from Green Bay before Arena League). He could also be Sam Darnold. That (I think) depends more on Jan-Sept '22 than 2019-2021.

I hope Drew Lock reads .net I hope the posts that doubt him are motivational and I hope the posts that hold high hopes also motivate him. Sure there's doubt. I bet he doubts himself at times. But to quote someone that absolutely knows it to be true, "Why not us? Why not you?" Why not Drew Lock?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Realistically, and the original video admitted as much, Drew Lock probably isn't a 1st ballot HOF QB even if he does become a perennial starter. I think the point is that you can see significant improvement with a change in environment. Denver sincerely hopes their new QB improves aspects of his game in his new city.

2 things
1)It's hard to draft a franchise QB. ...and there are easily identified examples of QBs changing teams and becoming good to really good. It's beneficial to try both avenues because the odds are stacked against each individually. Matt Flynn didn't win the job 10 years ago, but maybe this time ....
2)I'm thoroughly convinced that the situation changes the outcome as much as the talent level. DK's better because he was drafted late and it motivated him. RW3 as well. Sherman always showed the extra effort because he felt slighted. Jamarcus Russel (and fill in your favorite bust) didn't fail because of talent. It was motivation (and maybe some environment). If Drew Lock goes through the same process in '22 as Drew Brees in '06, he could easily be Tannehill or Cousins or Bridgewater or Bledsoe and maybe a lot better- Brees, Alex Smith, Kurt Warner (cut from Green Bay before Arena League). He could also be Sam Darnold. That (I think) depends more on Jan-Sept '22 than 2019-2021.

I hope Drew Lock reads .net I hope the posts that doubt him are motivational and I hope the posts that hold high hopes also motivate him. Sure there's doubt. I bet he doubts himself at times. But to quote someone that absolutely knows it to be true, "Why not us? Why not you?" Why not Drew Lock?
Very well said, and you Drew Lock, are you reading this?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Poor guy is being put in an unwinnable situation. Following a HOF QB, then being compared to another HOF.

When he should be a backup.