Chicks dig the long ball but...

Chuckwow

Reaction score
In another topic, we were discussing how ridiculous our TE room is. And it is. I'm a fan but I'm one of those guys that would like to deal DK for BIG picks. But what if we don't?

DK, Tyler, Eskridge, Fant, Will and Parkinson. That's a whole bunch of receiving threat right there.

For years we've lived on the long ball. Run, run, bomb. But what if? What if Pete is having a change in philosophy? All of the above are capable of huge YAC. Maybe we can actually get away without the huge arm guy that we all have been conditioned to believe we need on this team?

Maybe we actually don't need much more than a guy that can think on his feet, see over the line(s) and throw his targets open with short, quick strikes? I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't miss watching Tyler make some crazy over the shoulder, toe tapping TD, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. I bring this up because our FO might be looking at a QB that we haven't even considered (being as conditioned as we are). Doubtful, but we're two weeks out and I'm starting to jones.

I'm hopeful we address the lines (and CB) early. But is there a 3rd rd type QB you see that could accomplish the above with those insane weapons at his disposal?

Last edited:

Boohman14

Reaction score
I've been considering the same thing. If we get a consistent running game it will open up the mid-rage passing game and interior slants where YAC yardage can be gained in bunches. Metcalf's best games last season were with Geno and the mid range completions.
It defiantly will require our O-line to preform and be able to contain our opponent's interior pass rush. We haven't been too successfull in our interior O-line pass blocking for years though.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
People can change.

They rarely do.

There is a lot of blame being heaped on Wilson because of his unwillingness or inability to make certain types of throws.

We will now see if that continues now that Wilson is gone. We typically tend to underutilize our TEs, maybe that will change.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Kudos to Chuckwow for the new title twist for a topic! LOL

I agree with a lot of the comments here pertaining to draft need for top O line players. I think our receiving corp is better than solid. I like the way our defense is shaping up and I think we're in good shape on special teams.
I don't agree that playing long ball frequently is a good way to win consistently. As for quick routes over the middle, slants etc being more dangerous...not sure I agree with that unless you have a QB throwing it into coverage or where the receiver is instead of where he will be, which requires open space. I like a ball control passing and running game that keeps the chains moving, the clock rolling, and the points piling up more often per drive.

sutz

Reaction score
Kudos to Chuckwow for the new title twist for a topic! LOL

I agree with a lot of the comments here pertaining to draft need for top O line players. I think our receiving corp is better than solid. I like the way our defense is shaping up and I think we're in good shape on special teams.
I don't agree that playing long ball frequently is a good way to win consistently. As for quick routes over the middle, slants etc being more dangerous...not sure I agree with that unless you have a QB throwing it into coverage or where the receiver is instead of where he will be, which requires open space. I like a ball control passing and running game that keeps the chains moving, the clock rolling, and the points piling up more often per drive.
And the defense resting on the sidelines a bit longer than they have in recent seasons. I don't mind losing TOP by 5 minutes or so, but when our D is out there 10-20 minutes longer per game, it costs us. And no, it's not just about the D "getting off the field." Sure they need to do that, but if all the O does is go 3 and out 10 times per game, they need to take some responsibility for losing the TOP battle, too. Would like to see more first downs than punts, if you know what I mean.

toffee

Reaction score
And the defense resting on the sidelines a bit longer than they have in recent seasons. I don't mind losing TOP by 5 minutes or so, but when our D is out there 10-20 minutes longer per game, it costs us. And no, it's not just about the D "getting off the field." Sure they need to do that, but if all the O does is go 3 and out 10 times per game, they need to take some responsibility for losing the TOP battle, too. Would like to see more first downs than punts, if you know what I mean.
We had TOP issues on both sides of the ball, if our O can stay 3 minutes longer and D get off the field 3 minutes quick, we will win quite a few more games.

OP
OP
Chuckwow

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Thanks for the great replies to my first ever thread, guys!

I see a trend in this thread and I could pull a solid quote from each of you, but I have a suspicion AppyHawk might have summed up the way we each prefer our football to be played. Are we all old school here?

In a different thread I recently suggested that I feel the new pass-first mentality of the NFL (in general) can be beaten by the time tested formula AppyHawk (etc) prescribes above. In a nutshell, ball control! We didn't get to and win our only SB by flinging the rock down the field 70% of the time. I love the old adage " Only 3 things can happen when you pass, and 2 of them are bad".

My Gawd I miss that defense and Marshawn Lynch.

I too love the long ball and I love home runs. But maybe what I love even more is keeping our guys on base and bringing them home with the occasional extra base hit. That puts a lot of pressure on the pitcher (or secondary) and next thing you know..BOOM, home run.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of this. We need to utilize the weapons we have over the middle more often as in more than once or twice per game. We now have a quarterback that can see over the line and be able to pick his lanes and throw dots to open tight ends. With Wilson it became tiresome to see open targets left holding their nutts while Wison throws into coverage. He stinks. Glad we got Lock and Geno

OP
OP
Chuckwow

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I was pretty much done with Russ after the SB interception. One of the worst, if not the worst, pass in SB history. And yes, our vaunted D let us down too but we're more talking QB play here. I am grateful for the sandlot plays Russ made with our team. It was fun. In a couple years, I will root for his NFL success and I will look forward to his ultimate enshrinement as a Hawk.

But back to that pass and why I was done with Russ shortly thereafter: Unsure where I found the picture or how it was captured, but the pic showed what Russ saw when he threw the ball to Malcom Butler. He didn't see Butler but worse, he didn't see Ricardo either. For all the years of back and forth regarding his height, It was (IMO) that lack of height that cost us the win.

Of course I know how Browning messed that play all up but that's besides the point. If Russ was able to see Butler positioned to break on that ball, he probably throws it out of the endzone OR to Ricardo's hip...which is where the ball should have been placed to begin with.

Not only did that craptastic, blind, hero throw cost us the W ...it also caused mass dissension within the ranks and catered to the decay of our very identity. Plenty of blame to go around but Mr. Unlimited was definitely limited on that play.

OP
OP
Chuckwow

Chuckwow

Reaction score
^ Crazy stuff. And feeds into some wild stat I recently heard. Now, I'm not 100% sure the stat holds water (cuz of Brady) But the stat went something like "no team has ever won a SB with a QB making over $25 mil per".

With that in mind, I can only laugh at the greed shown by Rodgers, in particular. " i just wanna' win more super bowls". Yeah, right. Sure you do.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Like I mentioned in other threads. Wilson has had a very poor showing

I was told numerous times Tom Brady was paid the leauge minimum and that is why his teams won. Please don't post things that disrupt this narrative.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I was pretty much done with Russ after the SB interception. One of the worst, if not the worst, pass in SB history. And yes, our vaunted D let us down too but we're more talking QB play here. I am grateful for the sandlot plays Russ made with our team. It was fun. In a couple years, I will root for his NFL success and I will look forward to his ultimate enshrinement as a Hawk.

But back to that pass and why I was done with Russ shortly thereafter: Unsure where I found the picture or how it was captured, but the pic showed what Russ saw when he threw the ball to Malcom Butler. He didn't see Butler but worse, he didn't see Ricardo either. For all the years of back and forth regarding his height, It was (IMO) that lack of height that cost us the win.

Of course I know how Browning messed that play all up but that's besides the point. If Russ was able to see Butler positioned to break on that ball, he probably throws it out of the endzone OR to Ricardo's hip...which is where the ball should have been placed to begin with.

Not only did that craptastic, blind, hero throw cost us the W ...it also caused mass dissension within the ranks and catered to the decay of our very identity. Plenty of blame to go around but Mr. Unlimited was definitely limited on that play.
ive always wonder if his height was truly and issue after that, and after i noticed more and more we would avoid the middle of the field type plays. Then last yr Geno came in and was hitting DK and others in the middle... and thought "he's taller... this has to be it"