Charles Cross draft grade (Prisco!) +JS to Cross call - 710 Pods

ivotuk

Reaction score

My God this guy must hate Seattle! CBS Sports ranked Cross #8 overall, but Priscilla gives them a "B."

Grade: B​

Pete Prisco: They had a glaring hole at left tackle, so they had to get a left tackle. With the run on them, they end up with a player who is good in pass protection but needs work in the run game. If Seattle wants to run it better, they picked the wrong tackle. But he is good at protecting the quarterback.

So Prisco, who was the "right" tackle that they should have picked at #9? In the video, the bald headed guy says that Cross is a good run blocker, but PP says otherwise. Me, I trust the guy with the "cool head."

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score

Mike Leach, OT Charles Cross’ college coach, details Seahawks’ top pick​

Leach wasted no time hyping up what kind of player and person the Seahawks are getting with Cross.

“He’s one of the most steady guys I’ve ever coached, to the extent where his expression never changes. He never gets rattled and his own stability creates confidence with the rest of the offense,” Leach said.

“You only have to correct him once. And not only does he have great feet, there’s other people that may run faster than him but he has no wasted steps and he’s very fluid in everything he does,” he said.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score

Huard on Seahawks Draft: OT Charles Cross a lot like Duane Brown​

“This is a system fit,” Huard said in his initial reaction to the selection of Cross. “If you look at what the Rams like to do and what we started to see a season ago (in Seattle), you have to have athletes. … Cross was a guy that Vegas pegged about 5 1/2, six as far as where he was going to get drafted, and there’s just not many big men that are as athletic is this guy.”

Rat

Reaction score
I don't know that he said anything wrong. Maybe not a perfect fit, but he does enough well and we needed the LT desperately. B is appropriate.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't know that he said anything wrong. Maybe not a perfect fit, but he does enough well and we needed the LT desperately. B is appropriate.
Prisco said they picked the wrong tackle. So who was the correct tackle?

Own The West

Reaction score
I was thinking we needed to trade up for Neal or Ekwonu, but the more I looked at them, the more I think they are more raw power than twitch. Cross is definitely the most twitchy of the bunch and he'll be 22 in November. I don't know that there was a better tackle for us.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

My God this guy must hate Seattle! CBS Sports ranked Cross #8 overall, but Priscilla gives them a "B."

Grade: B​

Pete Prisco: They had a glaring hole at left tackle, so they had to get a left tackle. With the run on them, they end up with a player who is good in pass protection but needs work in the run game. If Seattle wants to run it better, they picked the wrong tackle. But he is good at protecting the quarterback.

So Prisco, who was the "right" tackle that they should have picked at #9? In the video, the bald headed guy says that Cross is a good run blocker, but PP says otherwise. Me, I trust the guy with the "cool head."

Screw Pete Prickso.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Maybe we should grade the draft pundits... that could be interesting.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I think B is a fair enough grade, but he doesn't really elaborate on why he doesn't think he isn't a good run blocker or can't develop into one. So as usual, his "analysis" is basically worthless.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Prisco would probably say they should have traded up three spots for Ekwonu, down ten spots for Penning, or waited until day 2 to take a monstrous run blocker like Daniel Faalele.

Of course that opinion is flawed on multiple levels:
1) It assumes that Cross and Lucas can't run block simply because they had fewer run blocking reps while playing in an air raid offense.
2) It overlooks our continued emphasis on moving towards zone blocking (quickness) and away from angle blocking (power).
3) It relies on the perfect hindsight of knowing where all the prospects landed to talk about what we could have done, ignoring that in real time it was completely uncertain where prospects would go or what trades could be worked out.
Maybe we should grade the draft pundits... that could be interesting.
That's exactly what draft grades are! A good grade means that the team did what the grader was hoping they would do, and a bad grade means that the team completely surprised them. They are measurements of how good the draft grader's big board and mock draft were.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
That's exactly what draft grades are! A good grade means that the team did what the grader was hoping they would do, and a bad grade means that the team completely surprised them. They are measurements of how good the draft grader's big board and mock draft were.

So what grade do you give Prisco? At this point, I'd give him a C- because of poor evaluation of the Seahawks draft position and need in taking Cross.