6-11, ESPN"s latest prediction of our season

knownone

Reaction score
I know, but it's fresh download from ESPN just minutes ago. And ESPN claimed their prefictor's analytics based.
It is analytics-based. However, ESPN's model weights preseason predictions pretty heavily, so it will be off quite a bit as we advance.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Have they updated their date since pre-season before running the simulation? It sure doesn't look like it
Each game may not be updated until the week before.

I know there's a bunch of people who want to act like the whole world is against them, but many of you seem to have poor understandings of what models and probabilities are.

The models used to generate these probabilities may or may not be useful. I have no idea what the equations, initial conditions, or weightings are.

The idea that you take all those probabilities and you get "6-11, ESPN"s latest prediction of our season" demonstrates a near zero concept of basic probabilty.

Those last two games are both close to 50% splits. If we just take that on face value and ignore dependencies, it's nearly equally probable that they 0-2, 1-1, or 2-0 on those games (with some small probabilities of one or more ties).

None of the numbers you are looking at are predictive of a single event. They are statistically modeled distributions of many events. Think of a very large number of parallel universes where the games are played. Your team is modeled to win in that percentage of that large number of parallel universes.

Rainger

Reaction score
Each game may not be updated until the week before.

I know there's a bunch of people who want to act like the whole world is against them, but many of you seem to have poor understandings of what models and probabilities are.

The models used to generate these probabilities may or may not be useful. I have no idea what the equations, initial conditions, or weightings are.

The idea that you take all those probabilities and you get "6-11, ESPN"s latest prediction of our season" demonstrates a near zero concept of basic probabilty.

Those last two games are both close to 50% splits. If we just take that on face value and ignore dependencies, it's nearly equally probable that they 0-2, 1-1, or 2-0 on those games (with some small probabilities of one or more ties).

None of the numbers you are looking at are predictive of a single event. They are statistically modeled distributions of many events. Think of a very large number of parallel universes where the games are played. Your team is modeled to win in that percentage of that large number of parallel universes.
I understand you are trying to do a some statistical justification, BUT see my previous post. ESPN writers are LAZY and as Nunya says garbage in garbage out.

WHY would ANY sports organization base their data on pre season projections???? We are 1/2 way through the season. Do the modeling based on the current situation.

It is just like the dip shit who has done 2 draft projections on CBS using the VEGAS pre season betting lines of draft position showing the Hawks pick at 5 and our pick from Denver at like 22.

That is just lazy shit, not taking any effort to say, well based on current records maybe just maybe the Hawks wont be drafting 5 (with their pick lol) and taking the player the lazy writer says.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I understand you are trying to do a some statistical justification, BUT see my previous post. ESPN writers are LAZY and as Nunya says garbage in garbage out.

WHY would ANY sports organization base their data on pre season projections???? We are 1/2 way through the season. Do the modeling based on the current situation.

It is just like the dip shit who has done 2 draft projections on CBS using the VEGAS pre season betting lines of draft position showing the Hawks pick at 5 and our pick from Denver at like 22.

That is just lazy shit, not taking any effort to say, well based on current records maybe just maybe the Hawks wont be drafting 5 (with their pick lol) and taking the player the lazy writer says.
yea...^^^^^ What is currently coveyed is not currently relevant.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I think I understand probabilities enough to think that at 5-3, any model predicting the Hawks to go 1-8 the rest of the way based on the way they are playing, and their remaining opponents are playing is highly suspect. That's just numbers, not any "everyone's against us" feeling

Jegpeg

Reaction score
That is not actualy true. The following are nearly equally probable in a game that is a 50% split: Win both games, lose both games, Win the first game and lose the second, Lose the first game and win the second. Therefore the probability of winning 0 games is about 25%, winnging 1 game about 50% and winning both games about 25%.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
That is not actualy true. The following are nearly equally probable in a game that is a 50% split: Win both games, lose both games, Win the first game and lose the second, Lose the first game and win the second. Therefore the probability of winning 0 games is about 25%, winnging 1 game about 50% and winning both games about 25%.
You're right; I'm treating them as independent events so it should be P(A) * P(B) like you said.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Well, those paper tiger nothing without Hall Jets just beat the Buffalo Bills. Still think that will be an easy game?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Officially, we can tell ESPN to F their analytics, one game at a time:. This one just went down 38.2% my azz.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
ESPN's analytics are clearly just aggregating stats and low precision metrics over the course of the season and averaging them out because this is not the same team we trotted out in week 2.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Would love to see how the whole season was picked. Cause they prob had us at 2-3 wins with these picks.

Ruminator

Reaction score
For Seattle to win just 1 or 2 more games to fulfill ESPN's and others' predictions, half of the team would need to go blind, have lobotomies, or die in the next week or two.

Rainger

Reaction score
For Seattle to win just 1 or 2 more games to fulfill ESPN's and others' predictions, half of the team would need to go blind, have lobotomies, or die in the next week or two.
Well according to ESPN the Hawks won't win another game this year since they already have 6

Latest posts