1st half versus 2nd half

John63

Reaction score
So I record all the games and some friends of mine and I decided to rewatch them, specifically the offense to verify a thought we had as it relates to audibles.

Here is what we noticed. First 3 games in the first half lots of audibles. 2nd half few to none and as noted by several on the board and was verified by the review we became predictable
This game's first half has little to no audibles, predictable offense, 2nd half boatloads.

So the first question is; is Wilson choosing not to audible in those specific halves? OR is he being told not to? If told not to by whom the OC or PC?

So Wilson choosing not to make no sense since that is what he has said he wants to do be able to audible at any time.

So that leaves PC or the OC. The OCs whole offense revolves around the QB audibling. So that leaves PC.

The question would be why would he not allow audibling when we all know its works. Remember he is a defensive coach. In the first 3 games, we got the lead, my presumption is he wanted to milk the leads hence why not only no audibling but a lot of 5 seconds snaps. In this game, in the first half, we saw a lot of snapping with under 5 seconds and a very predictable offense. In this case, it was probably done due to the defense playing well and holding them. Then just before the half and the 2nd half, he took off the cuffs so to speak.

Now I am not saying PC does not want to win or plays not to lose, I am saying is he wants to win his way, and his way means either his defense holds them down in the first half and then lets the offense loose, or he lets the offense loose in the first half and then relies on the defense to hold them. He is a defensive coach everything he has done to this point revolves around his defense either giving them a lead and then playing conservative, or playing conservative as long as the defense holds, and then taking the handcuff off. Remember this is the same HC that Lynch had to ask if we can keep scoring in the Sb game, there is a reason he asked. This is the same HC who likes sot keep it close and win in the end with the defense.

I am not saying this style is good or bad, to mean it leaves too small a margin for error. But that could explain what is going on with the 1st half and second-half offense. He also could be doing it because he knows it’s a new offense and feels they need time to be able to do it for 4 qtrs, though that seems like a stretch.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
I think Pete would rather lose his way than win anyone else’s way.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
They weren't on the field long enough in the 2nd half of the last 2 games to audible.

mikeak

Reaction score
It used to be that defense had hot mics for about 20secs. Can't recall exactly

Lining up in a formation then changing it would mean defensive coaches can't communicate over the mic to change things

Or did the rules for this change?

getnasty

Reaction score
So Seattle is only successful in halves in which the team allows him to audible and it happens they choose week 4 to suprise SF and let him audible in the 2nd half instead of the first half like weeks 1-3. Makes perfect sense to me.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
getnasty":18n1kuo2 said:
So Seattle is only successful in halves in which the team allows him to audible and it happens they choose week 4 to suprise SF and let him audible in the 2nd half instead of the first half like weeks 1-3. Makes perfect sense to me.

Well then u explain the difference is audibles and the success that comes with them.

Fade

Reaction score
They went to hurry up with Wilson calling the plays at the LoS with 5 mins to go in the 1st half. Wilson took control and they dominated from that point forward through the 3rd quarter. They built a big lead going into the 4th and took their foot off the gas.

Pete had a plan to run the ball early and often, and it blew up in his face. It didn't help that the O-Line, particularly the Tackles played like crap to start. Luckily the 49ers are terrible at QB or it would've gotten really ugly for the Seahawks.

The Seahawks were absolutely dominated for the first 25 minutes of this game, but they were down only 7 points.

mikeak

Reaction score
Fade":2yokakce said:
They went to hurry up with Wilson calling the plays at the LoS with 5 mins to go in the 1st half. Wilson took control and they dominated from that point forward through the 3rd quarter. They built a big lead going into the 4th and took their foot off the gas.

Pete had a plan to run the ball early and often, and it blew up in his face. It didn't help that the O-Line, particularly the Tackles played like crap to start. Luckily the 49ers are terrible at QB or it would've gotten really ugly for the Seahawks.

The Seahawks were absolutely dominated for the first 25 minutes of this game, but they were down only 7 points.

One day when PC is retired sitting in his rocking chair watching football on a Sunday he will realize it. Short Swing passes to players using RBs opens up the running game which then opens up then big passing plays.

Running for the sake of running does not open up the running game

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Fade":2qo8l5ng said:

The thing is we seem to do that for all or most of a half. Basically sleep walking on offense, being predictable, waiting to 5 or less seconds, eating clock. Then someone takes off the cuffs and we do great. Or we start with the cuffs off and then put them on.

Be nice if we just kept the cuffs off. But not the PC way.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Fade":3q4wliar said:

I wouldn’t say it blew up early but I would say, for the Niners defense, Chris Carson’s dancing around and stuttering did the team no good nor himself as his gaps closed when he was dancing. Once they made the switch to Collins who was hitting gaps instantly we had a little bit of a run game. So Collins was the best bet vs the miners defense instead of Carson,

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I’m not buying the conspiracy theory here in the OP. SF was kicking the Hawks rears on both sides of the ball. Witness minus 8 yards O almost to half time.

Finally the O figured out what they were doing. The D although giving up lots of yards was at least preventing the Digits from scoring. The O got it into gear and started doing what we saw at times early in the first 3 games. the D remained stiff, our high expensive SS was setting a tone Wilson was executing the new Oafter SF had shown their schemes.

Audibles or no audibles, in retrospect I think the first part of the game was more of a rope a dope than Pete controlling Wilson. In the end who cares the plan succeeded. After a slow start the O was just as successful as needed and against the rookie the D looked good.

Now on to Stafford and Donald.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Hard to believe anything the OP says in this post,especially the part where he says he has friends!!!