Santa Clara 49ers already whining about Superbowl L

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nt-3392744

The NFL traditionally identifies the Super Bowl with Roman numerals. The committee hosting the 50th edition of the game hopes to lose a one-letter designation that has become in recent years the universal designation for “loser.”

According to Alex Silverman of SportsBusiness Daily, the president of the San Francisco Bay Area Super Bowl Host Committee said Friday at the ’14 Intersport Activation Summit that the group wants to see the procedure for naming Super Bowls change.

“I think we’re at a point now with Super Bowl 50, it being recognized as 50, the NFL doing what it’s doing around the celebration of 50, that it’s probably time to introduce the Arabic ’50′ as opposed to ‘L,’” committee CEO and president Keith Bruce said.

Bruce added that the committee has already given its opinion to the NFL. The NFL had nothing to say on the matter.

A change would be surprising. After enduring Super Bowl XXX, the NFL can easily handle Super Bowl L and, in nine years, Super Bowl LIX. Which is still a lot better than Super Bowl SUX.

How embarrassing. is there anything they won't whine about down there?
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• We're going to be the first team to threepeat and it's going to happen in your stadium, Santa Clara. Only then will you know the true meaning of anguish.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• even with moving to Santa Clara, The Niners still get more national attention then you. The champs and still thought of the red headed step child. Except for on this board..
    Bob loblaw
    NET Bench Warmer

• U mad, Bob?
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• While I like the Roman numerals...I do think they are going to have to change soon. I actually don't mind the "L", but eventually its gonna be like 8 digits long and nearly impossible to read.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:While I like the Roman numerals...I do think they are going to have to change soon. I actually don't mind the "L", but eventually its gonna be like 8 digits long and nearly impossible to read.

It's a roman numeral and it's not impossible to read. I can't believe this is really an issue.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• inb4 "niners already had their suber bowl L" joke
    lucky49
    NET Practice Squad

• lucky49 wrote:inb4 "niners already had their suber bowl L" joke

I just wanna know why SF has to whine so much about EVERYTHING
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Super Bowl L(osers) in Santa Clara . . . how appropriate. :49ersmall:
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:While I like the Roman numerals...I do think they are going to have to change soon. I actually don't mind the "L", but eventually its gonna be like 8 digits long and nearly impossible to read.

It will only be a handful of digits for several years and won't get to 8 digits until Super Bowl LXXXVIII, which is 40 years from now. The zombies will have overrun us by then anyway.

XLVIII looked great in the logo, but that's just my opinion. :)
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• RolandDeschain wrote:We're going to be the first team to threepeat and it's going to happen in your stadium, Santa Clara. Only then will you know the true meaning of anguish.

You go boooooooooooy! :th2thumbs:
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Throwdown wrote:
    lucky49 wrote:inb4 "niners already had their suber bowl L" joke

?

It's not even Niner fans. LOL.

It's the group that's putting together the stadium bid...largely SF Bay Area business leaders.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Shadowhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:While I like the Roman numerals...I do think they are going to have to change soon. I actually don't mind the "L", but eventually its gonna be like 8 digits long and nearly impossible to read.

It will only be a handful of digits for several years and won't get to 8 digits until Super Bowl LXXXVIII, which is 40 years from now. The zombies will have overrun us by then anyway.

Yeah...I just wish they'd stop using the same logo. I hate that they standardized the SB logo.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• lucky49 wrote:inb4 "niners already had their suber bowl L" joke

LOL, the 49ers already had their Super Bowl L--

DAMN IT, MUST YOU TAKE THE FUN OUT OF EVERYTHING, 49ER FANS?!
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Bob loblaw wrote:even with moving to Santa Clara, The Niners still get more national attention then you. The champs and still thought of the red headed step child. Except for on this board..

Thats a low blow loblaw
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• Hawknballs wrote:U mad, Bob?

U sad Bob?
    garrylt4
    NET Rookie

• TheRealDTM wrote:
    Bob loblaw wrote:even with moving to Santa Clara, The Niners still get more national attention then you. The champs and still thought of the red headed step child. Except for on this board..

Thats a low blow loblaw

This dude makes iffy posts about football and needs to stick to his law blog.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Smelly McUgly wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:
    Bob loblaw wrote:even with moving to Santa Clara, The Niners still get more national attention then you. The champs and still thought of the red headed step child. Except for on this board..

Thats a low blow loblaw

He's brand new with 5 posts and still hasn't come up with one new idea that his fellow Niner fans haven't already been spouting here and everywhere for the decades since they've won a SB.
    Los Angeles Rams' fan who lives in San Diego.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

• RedAlice wrote:He's brand new with 5 posts and still hasn't come up with one new idea that his fellow Niner fans haven't already been spouting here and everywhere for the decades since they've won a SB.

I see what you did there, defining virtually every new 49ers poster that shows up on this forum. 8)
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Niners don't like roman numerals because it reminds them of when they were actually used by people on a daily basis, you know, the last time they actually won a super bowl.
    OrFan
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:

Maybe it wouldn't seem like so much whining if you weren't paying so much attention.
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran

• RedAlice wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:

Thats a low blow loblaw

He's brand new with 5 posts and still hasn't come up with one new idea that his fellow Niner fans haven't already been spouting here and everywhere for the decades since they've won a SB.

BINGO!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• It's not even Niner fans. LOL.

It's the group that's putting together the stadium bid...largely SF Bay Area business leaders.

So your saying the businesses in S.F. are not supporters and fans of the 49ers?

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:
    It's not even Niner fans. LOL.

So your saying the businesses in S.F. are not supporters and fans of the 49ers?

Of course they are . . . LOL. Even Steve Young is on the committee.
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• lvnginhwktwn wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

Maybe it wouldn't seem like so much whining if you weren't paying so much attention.

To what? Did something important happen like Baldwin getting resigned? Call it 50 or L or whatever we're still going to eat your souls on our way to a 3Pete if the Rams don't first.
    Last edited by MizzouHawkGal on Fri May 30, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Bob loblaw wrote:even with moving to Santa Clara, The Niners still get more national attention then you. The champs and still thought of the red headed step child. Except for on this board..

Damn dude when Alice calls you out you have problems.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:

Niner fans are totally not sure what to do with two facts:

Niner last SB win: way longer ago than the RAMS

Niner last SB win: way way way longer ago than the current champ: the SEAHAWKS

smiley face or whatever. Yeah, you Niner fans. Go beat either of us to the next one.
    Los Angeles Rams' fan who lives in San Diego.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

• I think it only appropriate that the Niners QB get the roman numeral for 50 tatted onto his biceps, so that he has something to kiss that better reflects his performance in the clutch.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Dammit.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• lvnginhwktwn wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

Are you fricking kidding me? This offseason? It is part of the Super Bowl WINNING experience. Especially if the Niners were part of the road kill that stood in the way.
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Shadowhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:While I like the Roman numerals...I do think they are going to have to change soon. I actually don't mind the "L", but eventually its gonna be like 8 digits long and nearly impossible to read.

Yeah...I just wish they'd stop using the same logo. I hate that they standardized the SB logo.

Agreed. The differing logo every year was one of the 'cool' things about the Super Bowl before they did the carbon copy logo.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

Agreed. The differing logo every year was one of the 'cool' things about the Super Bowl before they did the carbon copy logo.

It sure does look good on the jersey after the win though.

:)
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Superb Owl icon looks good on my white polo shirt too. and the magnets.... :lol:

P.S. They could always go with a XXXXX logo for just this one year.
    P.S.S. Would the zombies beat the Whiners if they played them in a Superb Owl? :mrgreen:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• I wonder how much they would protest the L if they had to host us there.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:I wonder how much they would protest the L if they had to host us there.

The zombies would be ticked off....they want an easy team to munch on....and Seattle aint easy.....SF would be tho. :twisted: :stirthepot:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Jesus..I cant believe Im doing this.. but.. I think I kind of agree with the change. I like the Roman numberals, but I doubt most people actually know that "L" is 50. In XLVIII people get it by context.. when its just SB L.. the average member of the public wont understand.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I think the whole Roman numeral thing is rather archaic, like speaking in Latin or using an abacus. Do they even teach Roman numerals in school anymore? I know I learned them when I was a kid but I'm getting old now and even I have trouble deciphering them.
    TXHawk
    NET Rookie

• RedAlice wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:

smiley face or whatever. Yeah, you Niner fans. Go beat either of us to the next one.

Hey Alice you beginning to sound like those (my fellow) Niner fans that shout about our past rings. The only ring that matters is the current one owned by the Hawks. Everybody else just has antiques. That's the only fact I give a shat about. Anybody else talking about their is just ignorant.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• RedAlice wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:

Not sure why Niner fans have to do anything about those facts.

The Cards nearly won one as well. Then again, I've never really been a "we have 5 rings" drumbeat guy anyway. I remember them all and wouldn't give them up for anything, but they have very little relevance to what's going on now.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    RedAlice wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:

Not sure why Niner fans have to do anything about those facts.

The Cards nearly won one as well. Then again, I've never really been a "we have 5 rings" drumbeat guy anyway. I remember them all and wouldn't give them up for anything, but they have NO relevance to what's going on now.

There fixed it for ya! It's just like this years ring for the Hawks, it has no effect on next years on field results! It's a new and different season.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Not sure why Niner fans have to do anything about those facts.

The Cards nearly won one as well. Then again, I've never really been a "we have 5 rings" drumbeat guy anyway. I remember them all and wouldn't give them up for anything, but they have NO relevance to what's going on now.

There fixed it for ya! It's just like this years ring for the Hawks, it has no effect on next years on field results! It's a new and different season.

Why does he think a game that happened nearly 20 years ago would have any relevance?
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2014 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Why does he think a game that happened nearly 20 years ago would have any relevance?

Sigh....

I say it has little relevance and the point you guys take from that is that I'm saying it has some relevance.

SMDH. Its a figure of speech. Saying "little relevance" is just a way to say it doesn't matter.

IE, you are arguing grammar. Methinks you are just looking for a reason to argue just about anything.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    hawknation2014 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Sigh....

I say it has little relevance and the point you guys take from that is that I'm saying it has some relevance.

SMDH. Its a figure of speech. Saying "little relevance" is just a way to say it doesn't matter.

IE, you are arguing grammar. Methinks you are just looking for a reason to argue just about anything.
    :34853_doh:
    Lighten up Francis, you are not always the victim.!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• It doesn't matter what they call it, the whiners ain't gonna win it.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    Save a place at the table for us "Big Willie"
    halfrack
    NET Rookie

• Super Bowl L will be the 21st Anniversary of the 49ers' last Super Bowl win.

Let's drink to that . . .
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2014 wrote:Super Bowl L will be the 21st Anniversary of the 49ers' last Super Bowl win.

Let's drink to that . . .

.....and pop in the VHS tape of the game! And maybe we can drop Soundgarden's Superunkown in the CD player while we watch.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• I agree with the switch..but that is a sad, sad logo.. looks like a project in a beginning programming class.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Vetamur wrote:I agree with the switch..but that is a sad, sad logo.. looks like a project in a beginning programming class.

Agree. Maybe that's just a sample and the actual has not be produced yet.
    We can hope right?
    pmedic920
    NET Veteran

• The whiners prevail. No more Super Bowl L.

Something about that doesn't sound right.

hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information