origin of "Legion of Boom" debated on Kiro 710

ZLDRider

Reaction score
Danny O'Neil brought up the topic and he and Brock "discussed" the history.

Danny heard that it originated on THEIR radio station.

Brock says that a caller coined the phrase.

I know for a fact that it was either first coined here on this forum or on the Seahawks Blue forum (www.SeahawkBlue.com).

It then was shared with others.

Does anyone here know the history for sure and can point to the thread?

Thanks,

Joe Zulaski

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I remember listening to that exact segment on 710 w/Bob and Groz, and people were calling in suggestions. That was the one they liked the most.

Basis4day

Reaction score
It originated during a Kam Chancellor interview where he expressed his desire to "bring that boom". Suggested by a fan to Bob and Groz.

bellingerga

Reaction score
first place I saw it was here but that doesn't mean much the way things go viral these days it can be hard to track.

OP
OP
ZLDRider

ZLDRider

Reaction score
Yes, they mentioned this but, I think that the caller who suggested "Legion of Boom" was actually a member of .Net here and it had been discussed here before that.

I remember someone posting an old video of "The Legion of Doom" from an old "Justice League" cartoon saying that was where he got the idea from coupled with the word "Boom".

-The Glove-":zx7rpl0q said:
I remember seeing it on .Net first

davidonmi

Reaction score
I was listening at that moment. Bob and Groz had Kam Chancellor on and they were asking for names of the secondary. One was legion of boom. Maybe it was originated somewhere else before then

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was a pic made by a fan somewhere that was reTweeted by a member of our secondary. I can specifically remember someone posting here with the actual Tweet showing it, but I don't remember which member it was, or who posted it, or if anyone knew who made the pic. I'm fairly sure the radio thing was like, the next day or later in the week from when that Tweet happened.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
ZLDRider":mdopef01 said:
Yes, they mentioned this but, I think that the caller who suggested "Legion of Boom" was actually a member of .Net here and it had been discussed here before that.

I remember someone posting an old video of "The Legion of Doom" from an old "Justice League" cartoon saying that was where he got the idea from coupled with the word "Boom".

-The Glove-":mdopef01 said:

Excellent work. That is exactly how I remember it as well.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
That's exactly the pic, Oregon/ZLD, but I don't think it was a .NET member. Somebody do some research! I'm too tired, haha.

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
I recall listening to one of the radio shows where they were trying to come up with names for the defensive backfield and a caller suggested legion of Boom. I think it was Bob and Groz and then it just kept getting mentioned that day on that station, but I also listened to Brock and Salk/Danny a lot so there is a slight chance I heard it there (sucks to be over 50). There were several suggestions, but that one seemed to be the most popular that day. I couldn't tell you if it was discussed on .net prior.
Fast forward to today and it is being mentioned on Sportcenter, NFL Network and even Sunday Night Football. Who Knew it would become what it is...LOL

Veilside

Reaction score
ZLDRider":1gq4t0wu said:

-The Glove-":1gq4t0wu said:

I remember this too. I thought it originated on .Net.

tdigitee

Reaction score
I first heard of it on .NET and was aggravated the other night during the "Gruden's Grinders" segment on MNF. Gruden was showing the tip-drill INT and mentioned "I call them the Legion of Boom" to which Berman replied "I like that name." SMH

acbass

Reaction score
I remember Chancellor posting on Twitter that he was looking for a nickname for the secondary. People sent in all sorts of stuff, and about an hour or so later I saw him saying "I think we have a winner, Legion of Boom." Not saying it didn't start somewhere else, but I think it was somewhat resolved on Twitter.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
acbass":2zs9itfu said:
I remember Chancellor posting on Twitter that he was looking for a nickname for the secondary. People sent in all sorts of stuff, and about an hour or so later I saw him saying "I think we have a winner, Legion of Boom." Not saying it didn't start somewhere else, but I think it was somewhat resolved on Twitter.

Yeah it definitely involved twitter to make it official, but I remember there was a thread that was like "what should we name our secondary?" or something like that which had multiple pages. I don't exactly remember the time frame of everything though, so Idk what came first.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Veilside":3t9v8n11 said:
ZLDRider":3t9v8n11 said:

-The Glove-":3t9v8n11 said:

I remember this too. I thought it originated on .Net.

You personally seeing it on .Net first doesnt mean it originated here... unless your everywhere at every moment.