origin of "Legion of Boom" debated on Kiro 710

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Danny O'Neil brought up the topic and he and Brock "discussed" the history.

Danny heard that it originated on THEIR radio station.

Brock says that a caller coined the phrase.

I know for a fact that it was either first coined here on this forum or on the Seahawks Blue forum (www.SeahawkBlue.com).

It then was shared with others.

Does anyone here know the history for sure and can point to the thread?

Thanks,

Joe Zulaski
    Joe Zulaski
    ZLDRider
    NET Bench Warmer

• I first saw it on twitter, but whoever tweeted it could've gotten it from anywhere.
    :Dunno:
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• I remember listening to that exact segment on 710 w/Bob and Groz, and people were calling in suggestions. That was the one they liked the most.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Bob and groz came up with it
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• I remember seeing it on .Net first
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• It originated during a Kam Chancellor interview where he expressed his desire to "bring that boom". Suggested by a fan to Bob and Groz.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Re: origin of
Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:31 am
  • -The Glove- wrote:I remember seeing it on .Net first
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• first place I saw it was here but that doesn't mean much the way things go viral these days it can be hard to track.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:36 am
  • Yes, they mentioned this but, I think that the caller who suggested "Legion of Boom" was actually a member of .Net here and it had been discussed here before that.

I remember someone posting an old video of "The Legion of Doom" from an old "Justice League" cartoon saying that was where he got the idea from coupled with the word "Boom".

-The Glove- wrote:I remember seeing it on .Net first
    Joe Zulaski
    ZLDRider
    NET Bench Warmer

• I was listening at that moment. Bob and Groz had Kam Chancellor on and they were asking for names of the secondary. One was legion of boom. Maybe it was originated somewhere else before then
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

• I'm pretty sure it was a pic made by a fan somewhere that was reTweeted by a member of our secondary. I can specifically remember someone posting here with the actual Tweet showing it, but I don't remember which member it was, or who posted it, or if anyone knew who made the pic. I'm fairly sure the radio thing was like, the next day or later in the week from when that Tweet happened.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:38 am
  • ZLDRider wrote:Yes, they mentioned this but, I think that the caller who suggested "Legion of Boom" was actually a member of .Net here and it had been discussed here before that.

I remember someone posting an old video of "The Legion of Doom" from an old "Justice League" cartoon saying that was where he got the idea from coupled with the word "Boom".

Excellent work. That is exactly how I remember it as well.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• That's exactly the pic, Oregon/ZLD, but I don't think it was a .NET member. Somebody do some research! I'm too tired, haha.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I recall listening to one of the radio shows where they were trying to come up with names for the defensive backfield and a caller suggested legion of Boom. I think it was Bob and Groz and then it just kept getting mentioned that day on that station, but I also listened to Brock and Salk/Danny a lot so there is a slight chance I heard it there (sucks to be over 50). There were several suggestions, but that one seemed to be the most popular that day. I couldn't tell you if it was discussed on .net prior.
    Fast forward to today and it is being mentioned on Sportcenter, NFL Network and even Sunday Night Football. Who Knew it would become what it is...LOL
    Last edited by bobincovington on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
    bobincovington
    NET Rookie

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:40 am
  • ZLDRider wrote:Yes, they mentioned this but, I think that the caller who suggested "Legion of Boom" was actually a member of .Net here and it had been discussed here before that.

I remember this too. I thought it originated on .Net.
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    Veilside
    NET Veteran

• I first heard of it on .NET and was aggravated the other night during the "Gruden's Grinders" segment on MNF. Gruden was showing the tip-drill INT and mentioned "I call them the Legion of Boom" to which Berman replied "I like that name." SMH
    Last edited by tdigitee on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
    tdigitee
    NET Rookie

• I remember Chancellor posting on Twitter that he was looking for a nickname for the secondary. People sent in all sorts of stuff, and about an hour or so later I saw him saying "I think we have a winner, Legion of Boom." Not saying it didn't start somewhere else, but I think it was somewhat resolved on Twitter.
    acbass
    NET Starter

• acbass wrote:I remember Chancellor posting on Twitter that he was looking for a nickname for the secondary. People sent in all sorts of stuff, and about an hour or so later I saw him saying "I think we have a winner, Legion of Boom." Not saying it didn't start somewhere else, but I think it was somewhat resolved on Twitter.

Yeah it definitely involved twitter to make it official, but I remember there was a thread that was like "what should we name our secondary?" or something like that which had multiple pages. I don't exactly remember the time frame of everything though, so Idk what came first.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• It seems like so long ago that I just call them "The Legion" anyways... Groz is nailing it down now.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:14 pm
  • Veilside wrote:
    ZLDRider wrote:Yes, they mentioned this but, I think that the caller who suggested "Legion of Boom" was actually a member of .Net here and it had been discussed here before that.

You personally seeing it on .Net first doesnt mean it originated here... unless your everywhere at every moment.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• I thought John Gruden made it up last week ?
    12thManNorth
    NET Rookie

• I thought it was here as well. Throughout history, there have been threads here trying to name units, the defense, etc. (even in bad times). I was actually really surprised that this one caught on because they never do.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

• Bob & Groz had Kam on the afternoon show and according to Kam Chancellor:

The name originated from Kam saying he'd lost some weight and part of the reasoning was that he wanted to be able to "bring that boom". A listener then tweeted "Legion of Boom". Kam and the others liked it so they ran w/ it.
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:21 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Veilside wrote:
    ZLDRider wrote:Yes, they mentioned this but, I think that the caller who suggested "Legion of Boom" was actually a member of .Net here and it had been discussed here before that.

You personally seeing it on .Net first doesnt mean it originated here... unless your everywhere at every moment.

Well if I remember correctly, the news about Kam mentioning that he liked it on twitter came after that thread was already rolling on here. Who knows though. Be nice if someone could dig that thread up to see for sure.
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    Veilside
    NET Veteran

• I'm pretty sure it's a play on "Legion of Doom" which I thought referred to the old school WWF wrestling tag team that wore those football shoulder pads with spikes and what not. One of them is James Laurinaitis' dad. No idea who started it though.
    CDAseahawk
    NET Rookie

• Who cares.

We have a defense with a name. The Seattle Seahawks have a defense. With a nickname.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I remember when this was first brought up on 710 at least. I can't say that it wasn't anywhere else (like on this forum) for certain but I don't remember it being anywhere else yet. I will try to go back into their archives and find the main "episode" in reference to this but here is how I remember things:

First a couple of the shows had been tossing around nicknames for the Seattle DB's and Bob & Groz decided to do a segment and ask fans to send in some names. They got a bunch of suggestions but the one that seemed to stick was "Temple of Boom". They kind of all agreed on that but it seemed something was kind of missing. Then After an interview with Chancellor later that day (the one where Kam talked about wanting to bring the "Boom"), they continued to read off texts of suggestions and finally near the end of the show one text came in for "Legion of Boom" which Bob read and they Groz really liked.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9944700&p=1014&n= (27 minutes in is where "Legion of Boom" is first mentioned)

Then the next day (August 3rd, 2012) they interviewed Brandon Browner and asked him which he preferred "Temple of Boom" or "Legion of Boom". Browner chose "Legion of Boom" because it sounded "more ferocious".

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9944746&p=1014&n= (Legion of Boom chosen at about 55 seconds in)

So unless anyone can find something earlier than August 2nd, 2012 then I think it's only fair to say Bob and Groz coined the nickname "Legion of Boom". If not then they at least had a big part to do with getting it popularized. I for one hope that someone can dig up an old thread on here before then so we can lay claim but I haven't been able to find any yet.
    DJrmb
    NET Rookie

• Good work digging that stuff up, DJ. Kudos.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• It's about time bob and groz could lay claim to something other than being an in sufferably uninformed cowboys fan that makes me want to vomit all over the place, and a jerky pessimistic nobody that doesn't really seem to actually understand any sport let alone football.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• It is a play on words "Legion of Doom". This was early in the season last year Kam Chancellor held a contest on Twitter for fans to come up with a nickname. Bob on Groz had a segment on that tweet and had callers chime in. People were saying Bam Squad and other crazy stuff and Bob said Legion of Boom. Fans tweeted that to Kam and he liked it the best.
    bellyfat
    NET Starter

• Yeah, it was definitely Bob and Groz going off fan suggestions.

And I was the one who posted the old Justice League "Legion of Doom" video with alternate narration for the secondary members, but that was after the Bob & Groz broadcast.

Case closed.
    Pete Carroll + John Schneider = Always Compete
    PGunning101
    NET Rookie

• These guys
    Attachments
    legion-of-doom.jpg
    legion-of-doom.jpg (34 KiB) Viewed 952 times
    CDAseahawk
    NET Rookie

• 12thManNorth wrote:I thought John Gruden made it up last week ?

This.
    thebanjodude
    NET Starter

• Thanks PG. Your post was the first time I heard/read it.

That's probably why I thought it originated from here. Who knows, maybe the fan that called it in was from here too. :mrgreen:

PGunning101 wrote:Yeah, it was definitely Bob and Groz going off fan suggestions.

And I was the one who posted the old Justice League "Legion of Doom" video with alternate narration for the secondary members, but that was after the Bob & Groz broadcast.

Case closed.
    Joe Zulaski
    ZLDRider
    NET Bench Warmer

• Here's the origin. I texted in "Legion of Boom" into 710 ESPN August 2 after an interview with Kam Chancellor. In the interview he was talking about keeping his weight down but still being able "to bring that boom." Since then a lot of people have tried to claim credit for the nickname..here's the picture from my phone of the text into Bob and Gros on 710..
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 912 times
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 912 times
    Kbar03
    NET Bench Warmer

• Thanks Kbar03! How does it feel to be famous?

In anniversary-like fashion, I think you should give a nickname to the entire defense as well, to shut up everyone else in that other thread :D
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• Wow welcome to .Net Kbar
    bellyfat
    NET Starter

• I'm just proud of my Hawks man...Nickname for the whole D..That's a tall order. Off the top of my head.."Rain City Wrecking Crew". I'll see what else I can come up with. Go Hawks!
    Kbar03
    NET Bench Warmer

• Kbar03 wrote:I'm just proud of my Hawks man...Nickname for the whole D..That's a tall order. Off the top of my head.."Rain City Wrecking Crew". I'll see what else I can come up with. Go Hawks!

You seem to have a knack for this, because that's already better than anything anyone came up with in the other nickname thread.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Kbar03 wrote:I'm just proud of my Hawks man...Nickname for the whole D..That's a tall order. Off the top of my head.."Rain City Wrecking Crew". I'll see what else I can come up with. Go Hawks!

That's a great job on the nickname for the Legion of Boom. It fits so perfectly.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• Thanks Kbar.

So, We were right. It was a member of .NET who texted in the name to the Bob and Groz show.

That is pretty damn cool.

I just emailed this info (and links) to Brock and Danny. Maybe they'll follow up and mention it.

GO HAWKS!
    Joe Zulaski
    ZLDRider
    NET Bench Warmer

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information