Dishnet Vs. Direct TV?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Re: Dishnet Vs. Direct TV?
Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:51 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I have Direct. I have been mostly pleased. However, Thursday night, NFL network could not be seen. A message appeared that if I wanted to order it I could.

Excuse me, but I PAY FOR IT AS PART OF MY PACKAGE.

It was back on Friday morning, but I missed the game.

I had the same experience. I ended up turning the TV off and watched the game on the net. Later I learned from another poster it was due to a technical error and they put the game on once it was corrected. Guess you have to keep checking when that happens.

Are you guys sure it wasn't a blackout thing. As they went to the seahawks game I figured it was because local Fox was carrying the game so the NFL network was blacked out where I lived
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:35 pm
  • Called directv said engineering was working on the problem.
    Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:27 am
  • rdskns4eva wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:So, yesterday I am fired up (yes, I know) for the Phins and Cowboys game. Get the yard work done and sit down for the first glimpse of football. I scrolled through the menu no less than 5 times but still couldn't locate the game. I decided to call DISH NETWORK and learned we no longer have NBC. $150 a month and no access to this game and worse...NO access to Sunday night games. A few choice words later and I was asked if I wanted to cancel my subscription. I hung up.

I know Direct has that Sunday ticket and living in Hawaii, that would assure me of seeing the Hawks weekly but I've heard not such good things about them too.
    Does anyone that has experienced these two networks have an opinion on them or preference? Please reply because the clock is ticking. Living on an outer island in Hawaii..it could take weeks to change my service and I'd hate to jump from the frying pan into the fire. I thank you in advance.

Dish doesnt have NBC? Wow.

It depends upon where you live, ie, who owns your local NBC affiliate.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:49 pm
  • Thus far I am extremely pleased having subbed Direct for Dish. When I was cancelling Dish, they really showed their true colors. I will not return and have cost them money...as promised.

My contract terms with them expired in November, but in December, I encouraged my neighbor to ditch cable for Dishnet. I didn't know I would be entitled to a finder's fee ($50). The dish guy knocked on my door and told me about the $50. He also told me about their silly-ass "Joey Hopper" thing that would allow me to record additional programs (simultaneously). I saw the Direct TV Genie commercial and thought they were one in the same. I said...so I will be able to record 5 channels at once? he paused then said "yes". That was a lie.

(With my contract expired) I commented that it was too bad the new subscribers get this technology but not current subscribers. He asked me if I would rather have the "Hopper" BS thing instead of the $50 and I said...sure. He hooked me up with it and that was that. Soon after I realized it did not record 5 channels but NBD.

Last week I called to cancel and they said "OK, it will cost you $170.00 to do so". The money didn't concern me but I asked...why would I be charged when my subscription has expired? They then informed me that by accepting their crap "Hopper", I "automatically re-upped (my) subscription for an additional 2 years". I said "show me that in writing...show me where I signed such a thing". They said "no, it was a verbal (seriously) acceptance and just accepting the upgrade kicked in the new subscription...you have to read the fine print". F the fine print.

As I promised Dishnet I would, I have talked 2 friends into cancelling Dishnet and they will go to Direct TV. I will receive a $100 finder's fee for each that will cover the lost $170.00...and there will be many more to follow. Even after being warned this would happen, the Dishnet rep said "please know you are welcome back at anytime". Idiots.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:57 pm
  • Just a warning, Directv does re-up your contract if you receive anything free from them, especially equipment.

Now don't get me wrong, I've never had to pay for a receiver or DVR from them, they always offer the newest tech for free to me, but it does restart my 2-year contract every time. To me it's worth it, but I just wanted to let ya'll know that.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:21 pm
  • taz291819 wrote:Just a warning, Directv does re-up your contract if you receive anything free from them, especially equipment.

Now don't get me wrong, I've never had to pay for a receiver or DVR from them, they always offer the newest tech for free to me, but it does restart my 2-year contract every time. To me it's worth it, but I just wanted to let ya'll know that.

Great info and appreciated. It was the way they slipped this in on me that pissed me off. The tech never mentioned anything about a renewal, instead pretending the upgrade was instead of the $50 bucks (which I guess I should still be owed). He did this with a knowing wink like..."I'm taking care of you bro". Hawaii is a relatively small place and he and I will see each other again.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:13 am

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:35 am
  • HawkWow wrote:Thus far I am extremely pleased having subbed Direct for Dish. When I was cancelling Dish, they really showed their true colors. I will not return and have cost them money...as promised.

My contract terms with them expired in November, but in December, I encouraged my neighbor to ditch cable for Dishnet. I didn't know I would be entitled to a finder's fee ($50). The dish guy knocked on my door and told me about the $50. He also told me about their silly-ass "Joey Hopper" thing that would allow me to record additional programs (simultaneously). I saw the Direct TV Genie commercial and thought they were one in the same. I said...so I will be able to record 5 channels at once? he paused then said "yes". That was a lie.

(With my contract expired) I commented that it was too bad the new subscribers get this technology but not current subscribers. He asked me if I would rather have the "Hopper" BS thing instead of the $50 and I said...sure. He hooked me up with it and that was that. Soon after I realized it did not record 5 channels but NBD.

Last week I called to cancel and they said "OK, it will cost you $170.00 to do so". The money didn't concern me but I asked...why would I be charged when my subscription has expired? They then informed me that by accepting their crap "Hopper", I "automatically re-upped (my) subscription for an additional 2 years". I said "show me that in writing...show me where I signed such a thing". They said "no, it was a verbal (seriously) acceptance and just accepting the upgrade kicked in the new subscription...you have to read the fine print". F the fine print.

As I promised Dishnet I would, I have talked 2 friends into cancelling Dishnet and they will go to Direct TV. I will receive a $100 finder's fee for each that will cover the lost $170.00...and there will be many more to follow. Even after being warned this would happen, the Dishnet rep said "please know you are welcome back at anytime". Idiots.

You are like me lol. I once got screwed by some fineprint that wasn't available. It was from Bank of America. After spending 2 hours with their rep on the phone I asked her - "do you make more than $15 / hour" and then said "since I know you don't" I just now got twice the value from your company over what you got from me and please close my account immediately.

I know it doesn't get to upper management but I also know they didn't end up benefiting from me and no way they get another dime

Directv has been good and very open with their policies with me.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:18 pm
  • mikeak wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:Thus far I am extremely pleased having subbed Direct for Dish. When I was cancelling Dish, they really showed their true colors. I will not return and have cost them money...as promised.

You are like me lol. I once got screwed by some fineprint that wasn't available. It was from Bank of America. After spending 2 hours with their rep on the phone I asked her - "do you make more than $15 / hour" and then said "since I know you don't" I just now got twice the value from your company over what you got from me and please close my account immediately.

I know it doesn't get to upper management but I also know they didn't end up benefiting from me and no way they get another dime

Directv has been good and very open with their policies with me.

Nice. Sometimes these companies are just astonishing. For our rental, we bought a new W&D set-up. (Probably) $1800 for the set. Right away our tenants called to complain the washer would stop working when it hit the higher spin cycle. After a couple unsuccessful visits to repair the thing, I informed Sears we wanted a new one. "Oh no, there are several more steps we have to follow before replacing the unit". That was probably 6 (monthly) visits ago. They've basically replaced every part in the thing and still it don't work. With labor, they must have no less than a $1000 in it by now....but they "will try one more thing". It would be laughable except I've knocked $100 a month off the tenants rent. So I'm out about $600, too. This is the mentality forcing our once great country into 3rd world status (IMO).
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:05 am
  • Just called DirecTV to see if they could make me a better deal than Comcast/Xfinity since I'm switching to them for my internet/phone.

The first guy said, "that's a sweet deal and I can only give you about a $10 discount so please let me get you in touch with our retention department and they'll take care of you." No BS, they knew that I was serious and were willing to be straight from the beginning.

The Retention person said immediately that he's got a great deal that he thinks I'll like. Basically, they upgraded my DVR for free to a Genie and a Genie-Go so I can now record up-to 5 shows at once, gave me Sunday Ticket Max for a year for free, their sports pack for a year for free (because I mentioned that I wanted the Pac-12 network even though it's not with them right now), gave me a $50 promo immediately because I wanted to sign up for Fox Soccer Plus ($14.99/mo) for about 2.5 months so I could watch the Rugby Championship, gave me a $15/credit for the next 12 months, free Showtime and Cinemax for 3 months and I ended up signing up for another 2-year contract.

Pretty excited.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:57 am
  • Telling you, bro, DirecTV is either the biggest suckers in the world, or ran by the greatest human beings ever.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:37 am
  • ^ or they just have a HUGE HUGE profit margin in their normal rates and then give "fantastic deals" for those that ask for it and end up just making a regular profit from those guys.....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:13 pm
  • It's funny because the guy that I was working with complemented me for being so direct with what I was looking for rather than trying to hide behind "well... if you could do ___, then maybe I'll think about it." It was basically like watching an infomercial "but that's not all!"

He told me he had about $400 worth of credit to work with for a year on my discounts, and he just maximized it. So I'm not saving like a ton of money over my 2-year contract it just blows away anything that I would have gotten with Comcast/Xfinity and I'm happy to stay with them.

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:42 pm
  • Were you really going to pay $15 a month for SOCCER...... or were you just messing with them?

J/K and thanks for the great information.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:52 pm
  • The Rugby Championship is part of the Fox Soccer Plus package.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:00 pm
  • Just had my first experience with DirecTV tech support and it was laughable how little the "tech" on the phone knew. My Ondemand wasn't loading and kept giving me a "Network error" message even when it said it was connected. After an hour on the phone, she gives up and says "I think you're going to have to call Comcast"...no BS. I have DirectTV but my internet and phone is through Comcast. I had an idea what the issue was but I wanted to see if it might have been an equipment issue before I started unhooking all my cables and swapping things around. She said something about "I think one of your ports through Comcast closed and you're gonna have to ask them to open it back up". I said "Huh? It was working the other day. What port could've closed on its own that was previously open as you say".

So after hanging up, I unhooked the Genie downstairs and swapped it with the little box upstairs in the master bedroom. What do ya know! Problem solved. The router is upstairs too so the issue was a weak signal.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:06 pm
  • If you need tech support, don't call them, go to www.dbstalk.com instead. You'll save a lot of time.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:13 pm
  • For those needing th NFL package, call and threaten to leave because you want the PAC 12 network. They gave my brother in law that and $200 credit.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:49 pm
  • taz291819 wrote:If you need tech support, don't call them, go to http://www.dbstalk.com instead. You'll save a lot of time.

Thanks for the tip
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information