Honey Badger...

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I heard an interview with Tyrann predraft and he convinced me. Interviewing is something I'm paid to do, see through someone's bullshit, and I couldn't pick up any BS.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
pehawk":2g174avd said:
I heard an interview with Tyrann predraft and he convinced me. Interviewing is something I'm paid to do, see through someone's bullshit, and I couldn't pick up any BS.
Yeah, he seemed more to give off a broken and grateful man vibe to me when he started crying after getting drafted. He's got a lot to prove off the field to all the doubters and even those who think he can be straight. Training camp is probably easier to be focused on football with less distractions or discretionary time to get into trouble. We'll see how effective that support system is - perhaps especially come next off-season.

mikeak

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3brkotl3 said:
mikeak":3brkotl3 said:
TeamoftheCentury":3brkotl3 said:
But, how many Championships do the Hawks have to date? .

Same number as Randy Moss...........
True enough there. But, as much as I liked Anthony Simmons, just think of what Randy Moss may have brought to the Hawks during that regime. Randy Moss doesn't win a Super Bowl by himself, though... right mikeak? But, on a team with Cortez Kennedy leading the Defense and Warren Moon to Randy Moss Air Erickson? Perhaps we're basking in the memory of something much greater there. That's the point.

There were Seahawk teams during that era that missed the playoffs as the hottest team at the end of the regular season (or one of them.) So, my point is valid. Players that tip the balance / make that extra bit of difference between getting in and contending vs. this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Seatt ... wks_season

I get your point but I still couldn't resist with the comment........

mikeak

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1rd0r65w said:
The thing is, though... you never know once an otherwise clean player gets into the league and things that are available to them that were perhaps not before might be a struggle while players that have made mistakes may have learned from them. So, there's never really a guarantee with any player. Just try not to whiff when you've got a Randy Moss or Tyrann Mathieu sitting there for the taking.

I agree on this BUT to me this is about an addiction. This isn't a guy that sold a stolen laptop, used false ID or used Pot once or twice.

This is a guy that got busted in 10 or more drugtests (and yes LSU did NOT send him a message by letting him keep playing), got dismissed from the team and entered rehab and then was arested for possesion of Marijuana.

Now you give this same guy a lot of money and freedom and I don't care if he stays clean for a week or a year - he is a huge risk for getting suspended again and again.

Now doesn't mean he won't stay within the rules and have a great career. I just think that teams looked at this as an addiction and that is one really hard cycle to break for most people......

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
mikeak":1a53h9q6 said:
TeamoftheCentury":1a53h9q6 said:
The thing is, though... you never know once an otherwise clean player gets into the league and things that are available to them that were perhaps not before might be a struggle while players that have made mistakes may have learned from them. So, there's never really a guarantee with any player. Just try not to whiff when you've got a Randy Moss or Tyrann Mathieu sitting there for the taking.

I agree on this BUT to me this is about an addiction. This isn't a guy that sold a stolen laptop, used false ID or used Pot once or twice.

This is a guy that got busted in 10 or more drugtests (and yes LSU did NOT send him a message by letting him keep playing), got dismissed from the team and entered rehab and then was arested for possesion of Marijuana.

Now you give this same guy a lot of money and freedom and I don't care if he stays clean for a week or a year - he is a huge risk for getting suspended again and again.

Now doesn't mean he won't stay within the rules and have a great career. I just think that teams looked at this as an addiction and that is one really hard cycle to break for most people......

There's a lot of "Yeah, but's..." that could be brought up in many situations. I certainly am not ignorant of the problems of addictions so need no tutoring on the subject. We're all aware of the young man's problems. So, without going into all that (and, again, I certainly grant it's important when considering the investment in these players), the dude is a baller and as far as evaluating football talent... a lot of teams missed or passed on this talent.

mikeak

Reaction score
To combine into one post

Randy Moss - greatest talent ever to play the game? At least one of the greatest talent to ever play the game. I have yet to hear any one person saying he maximized or came close to maximizing his potential. He was relatively quiet in the NE superbowl run even though he had a touchdown in the game. He was part of a lot of controversy and issues during his path in the NFL. Sure many would still say it is the right guy but for every Randy Moss that worked out there are 10-15 that didn't. That is my point about - he doesn't have a superbowl either. While not at the prime of his career he was a part of teams that could make that superbowl run and while not his fault it didn't happen he at times surely didn't do his share to make it happen.

Now Honeybadger. He has had 1!!!! pre-season game. First of all it isn't known what kind of player that he will be in the regular season or how he will hold up to the game. Secondly he has issues.

I don't think that many teams "missed" on his talent. I think he was picked relatively high but picked in the right spot. He can have a great first year and then be out shortly thereafter.

Hernandez provided enough value for his draft as the 4th rounder. If you ignore the renewed contract they got great value out of him for a 4th round pick. Many others won't pan out / when they fall back later you have either wasted a draft pick or just tied up big money into the guy.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
mikeak":4i9q33pl said:
To combine into one post

Randy Moss - greatest talent ever to play the game? At least one of the greatest talent to ever play the game. I have yet to hear any one person saying he maximized or came close to maximizing his potential. He was relatively quiet in the NE superbowl run even though he had a touchdown in the game. He was part of a lot of controversy and issues during his path in the NFL. Sure many would still say it is the right guy but for every Randy Moss that worked out there are 10-15 that didn't. That is my point about - he doesn't have a superbowl either. While not at the prime of his career he was a part of teams that could make that superbowl run and while not his fault it didn't happen he at times surely didn't do his share to make it happen.

Now Honeybadger. He has had 1!!!! pre-season game. First of all it isn't known what kind of player that he will be in the regular season or how he will hold up to the game. Secondly he has issues.

I don't think that many teams "missed" on his talent. I think he was picked relatively high but picked in the right spot. He can have a great first year and then be out shortly thereafter.

Hernandez provided enough value for his draft as the 4th rounder. If you ignore the renewed contract they got great value out of him for a 4th round pick. Many others won't pan out / when they fall back later you have either wasted a draft pick or just tied up big money into the guy.
Hmmm... seems like maybe you're trying to make this into more that what has been said or what needs to be said. Mathieu is a player. Stating one pre-season game is like building a case while dismissing the rest of his body of work. He was an impact player in college. The one game he played in the pros, he showed some of that and gave indication that he's got skills, man. That's it. Nobody, but perhaps you, is trying to make this into anything else. I'm certainly not trying to nominate the guy for the HOF. He can just flat out play football. How long will he be able to do so? We'll see.

We cool?

Go Hawks!

mikeak

Reaction score
^ We cool - I usually don't get upset about this stuff. I just read the posts like many teams had missed out on Honeybadger and wanted to communicate that until he stays clean and becomes a pro-bowler he was drafted pretty appropriately :)

Maybe I read to much into the statements

ivotuk

Reaction score
I like Tyrann and he will probably do some good there but an addict is an addict. I'm a gratefully recovering drug addict and know just how easy it is to stay clean when things are going your way, it's when the isht hits the fan that causes the problems. A 4 game losing streak, a death in the family, any little thing could set him off and he hasn't begun to admit his problem or address it.

One thing I will agree with you on though Pe, something we can celebrate together because we were both excited for E.J. Manuel and Buffalo when they took him. I thought then, and I still believe, that E.J. was the best QB in this draft.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Pehawk and ivotuk, THE Seahawks.net draft experts.

All I've ever heard about Tyrann using is weed. As an addict myself, having gone to a few rehabs, I can't count that as an addicting drug. I just can't. Its all relative.

I wish the NFL would just let weed go like the NBA does.

ivotuk

Reaction score
pehawk":2dyix3u1 said:
Pehawk and ivotuk, THE Seahawks.net draft experts.

All I've ever heard about Tyrann using is weed. As an addict myself, having gone to a few rehabs, I can't count that as an addicting drug. I just can't. Its all relative.

I wish the NFL would just let weed go like the NBA does.

I wish the entire world would just let weed go. Reefer madness is the DEA having it as a Schedule II drug (IIRC) up there with Heroin. Absolutely ridiculous.

But as far as Tyrann, it's not so much the drug as the behavior.