Honey Badger...

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Honey Badger...
Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:57 am
  • Yeah, yeah he's a definite risk.

Who knows where his head's at and how long he can stay on the straight and narrow. I know its a division rival...and yeah he smoked himself out the NCAA. However, IMO, in the SEC and at LSU, smoking weed should be the least of anyone's concerns. All that said...MAN OH MAN is he just a football player, period.

I was a HUGE proponent of drafting him in round 2 or 3. So obviously I was a fan. Though, even I had forgotten how natural he is. He was great the other night, just great. Last week it came out that Tyrann has been clearly the best player at training camp. That statement doesn't seem too odd now.

Can he give Arians that Pac Man/Fisher spark? Who knows. But, they're going to give the Rams hell for 3rd place. I'm inclined to predict 8-8 for the Cards and 7-9 for the Rams.

That's my random no coffee musing.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Re: Honey Badger...
Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:32 am
  • They played pretty inspired football from what I saw, even a preseason game, holding the Packers to 0 on the road seems noteworthy to me. Looks can sometimes be deceiving but Cards might be a bigger pain in the butt than I initially thought, I give them that.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:39 pm
  • Umm, yeah, I want to apologize for my rape of the English language in the OP. Im to grammar what Radish is to hip-hop. No coffee and pain killers, for the first time in years, doesn't help things.

Anyways, I'm with you Bob. I know Carson Palmer is, well, Carson Palmer, but he's better than anything they've had since Warner. The Cards haven't even had NFL caliber QB's since then. They will be a pain...and will be good for 8. They get lucky, maybe 9.

All the draft people on here we're really down on Tyrann this year. But that's only because he was forced to sit out a year, IMO. He's got a very Charles Woodson, Pac Man type vibe to him. His instincts are ridiculous.

Of course more time's needed, but I just cant see instincts like that evaporating.

Irony? Some RB at LSU has gotten two assaults since joining the squad, but he'll be playing this year! Hopefully Tyrann will give up weed and just start decking people, like he's suppose to.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:58 am
  • pehawk wrote: All the draft people on here we're really down on Tyrann this year.

Not "All" of the draft people. I got scoffed at quite a bit for sticking my neck out in favor of drafting the guy.

But, you're right. Most were not for drafting him. He did end up getting drafted fairly high (#69 overall). So, the Hawks would have had to draft him at the end of the 2nd.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:04 pm
  • I figured he would have made a great slot cover guy and thought the 3rd round wasn't a bad spot to take a gamble. Looks like he has more talent than I gave him credit for.

He just seemed destined to be one of those guys with a chip on his shoulder that could thrive here. Kudos for the Cardinals drafting him and putting together a deal that protects them in case he has any slip ups. I thought he was delusional when it was reported that he planned to have a draft party in NYC in anticipation of getting drafted in the first round.

He may have the last laugh.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:19 pm
  • He's getting the start this week for AZ, at FS. Something tells me he'll be starting by opening weekend anyways.

Instincts defensively makes plays. And, defensive playmakers are rare. Too rare to sit on the sideline.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:27 pm
  • Pehawk is going to be a genius until Mathieu gets lit celebrating making the team.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:31 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:Pehawk is going to be a genius until Mathieu gets lit celebrating making the team.

It takes 3 positives for "weed" to hit the NFL's radar. And, apparently, until you're on the substance abuse side of the ledger, the new CBA only allows one "fun drug" test a year. I just read that on the main forum. And like all things seahawks.net, I will not be checking it accuracy...and from here on out quote it as truth.

So, yeah, if he gets popped, he's a dummy. Just like me.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:34 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Pehawk is going to be a genius until Mathieu gets lit celebrating making the team.

It takes 3 positives for "weed" to hit the NFL's radar. And, apparently, until you're on the substance abuse side of the ledger, the new CBA only allows one "fun drug" test a year. I just read that on the main forum. And like all things seahawks.net, I will not be checking it accuracy...and from here on out quote it as truth.

I can just see his first sit down with ol Raj. Uh, three posi's to get suspended? C'mon Mang, they let me have 10 at LSU! It was Adderall anyway, not weed!
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:46 pm
  • Don't hate because as of week one of the preseason, I'm the ONLY seahawks.net draft guy worth a shit.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:49 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Pehawk is going to be a genius until Mathieu gets lit celebrating making the team.

So lets say this is true without checking it - which by the way is funny and stupid by the league if that is the case - Arizona wanted to test honeybadger something like every week per their contract. So they would be the ones that could terminate if he tests positive. Of course if they don't have to disclose the results and he plays well they will "pull an LSU"........
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:42 am
  • Arizona's defensive coordinator (Todd Bowles) is the stepfather of Mathieu's girlfriend, and Peterson and former LSU teammate and 2013 draft pick Kevin Minter will be with Mathieu in Arizona. "Arizona knew what kind of person and what kind of ballplayer Tyrann is," said Mathieu's agent Pat Lawlor, who also represents Peterson. "He has a good support system out there." Mathieu acknowledged Peterson's possible input. "I think Patrick had a lot to do with it," Mathieu said. http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2013/ ... ed_by.html

I think teams will regret not drafting Mathieu... like the year Randy Moss was passed on. That year, the Hawks drafted Anthony Simmons. Good, solid player. But, how many Championships do the Hawks have to date? I was so hoping that the Hawks would take a chance on Moss. I can only wonder "what if". Those were the Erickson years and perhaps the deep threat of Moss may have tipped the scales on those teams that were on the verge.

I'm all for assembling a roster with guys with reliable character. But, at the end of the day... games are decided on the field. I understand the concern is that they need to be on the field to have an impact, but there are players that come along at times that are just too good to pass up and worth said risks if they start showing a turning point as Mathieu did before the draft. Time will tell there, but I don't expect the guy to fail. The support system there in Arizona might just be enough to keep him straight.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:44 am
  • Thanks for reminding me of the infamous Simmons over Moss draft day, TOC! I REALLY hate you now.

I remember leaping around my house, grabbing my friends and girlfriends, screaming "don't you understand...we're getting Randy BLEEPING Moss...dude runs like a deer....best WR I've ever seen...don't you understand!!!!!?????"

I hate you TOC...truly hate you now.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:05 am
  • pehawk wrote:Thanks for reminding me of the infamous Simmons over Moss draft day, TOC! I REALLY hate you now.

I remember leaping around my house, grabbing my friends and girlfriends, screaming "don't you understand...we're getting Randy BLEEPING Moss...dude runs like a deer....best WR I've ever seen...don't you understand!!!!!?????"

I hate you TOC...truly hate you now.

I suffer for my people.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:05 am
  • TeamoftheCentury wrote: But, how many Championships do the Hawks have to date? .

Same number as Randy Moss...........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:17 am
  • mikeak wrote:
    TeamoftheCentury wrote: But, how many Championships do the Hawks have to date? .

True enough there. But, as much as I liked Anthony Simmons, just think of what Randy Moss may have brought to the Hawks during that regime. Randy Moss doesn't win a Super Bowl by himself, though... right mikeak? But, on a team with Cortez Kennedy leading the Defense and Warren Moon to Randy Moss Air Erickson? Perhaps we're basking in the memory of something much greater there. That's the point.

There were Seahawk teams during that era that missed the playoffs as the hottest team at the end of the regular season (or one of them.) So, my point is valid. Players that tip the balance / make that extra bit of difference between getting in and contending vs. this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Seatt ... wks_season
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:21 am
  • Minnesota went 15-1 in Moss's first year, right?

I cant believe someone's debating whether Moss would've been a good pick. Of course, it would've given us an alternate timeline, Erickson may've saved his job.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:42 am
  • Not to send pehawk into a Jimmy Fallon, Buckner game watching stupor. But... Yes, 15-1.

Passing Offense 4,328 Yards 270.5 YPG (NFL rank: 1st)
    Receiving Yards leader: Randy Moss 1,313
    Receiving Touchdowns leader: Randy Moss 17
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:51 am
  • What's weird about that whiff by Erickson, was it's rarity. Erickson was very underrated in evaluating talent. He did some great work.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:16 am
  • pehawk wrote:What's weird about that whiff by Erickson, was it's rarity. Erickson was very underrated in evaluating talent. He did some great work.

Yeah, I don't know what happened during the thought process to pass on Moss - whether it was the consensus of the decision makers or not. Can't say that draft was a complete miss b/c Anthony Simmons was pretty good. But, just in terms of potential impact for comparison sake of players like Moss and Mathieu. Teams had decided to take them both off their boards entirely (at least that's what the media reported) and Mathieu could make teams regret that just as Moss did. I think the comparison is fair as both were arguably elite talent coming into the league with a troubled past. Maybe the league cracking down and all the suspensions scared some teams away from Mathieu in today's NFL. The thing is, though... you never know once an otherwise clean player gets into the league and things that are available to them that were perhaps not before might be a struggle while players that have made mistakes may have learned from them. So, there's never really a guarantee with any player. Just try not to whiff when you've got a Randy Moss or Tyrann Mathieu sitting there for the taking.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:24 am
  • I heard an interview with Tyrann predraft and he convinced me. Interviewing is something I'm paid to do, see through someone's bullshit, and I couldn't pick up any BS.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:40 am
  • pehawk wrote:I heard an interview with Tyrann predraft and he convinced me. Interviewing is something I'm paid to do, see through someone's bullshit, and I couldn't pick up any BS.

Yeah, he seemed more to give off a broken and grateful man vibe to me when he started crying after getting drafted. He's got a lot to prove off the field to all the doubters and even those who think he can be straight. Training camp is probably easier to be focused on football with less distractions or discretionary time to get into trouble. We'll see how effective that support system is - perhaps especially come next off-season.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:42 am
  • TeamoftheCentury wrote:
    mikeak wrote:
    TeamoftheCentury wrote: But, how many Championships do the Hawks have to date? .

True enough there. But, as much as I liked Anthony Simmons, just think of what Randy Moss may have brought to the Hawks during that regime. Randy Moss doesn't win a Super Bowl by himself, though... right mikeak? But, on a team with Cortez Kennedy leading the Defense and Warren Moon to Randy Moss Air Erickson? Perhaps we're basking in the memory of something much greater there. That's the point.

There were Seahawk teams during that era that missed the playoffs as the hottest team at the end of the regular season (or one of them.) So, my point is valid. Players that tip the balance / make that extra bit of difference between getting in and contending vs. this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Seatt ... wks_season

I get your point but I still couldn't resist with the comment........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:47 am
  • TeamoftheCentury wrote: The thing is, though... you never know once an otherwise clean player gets into the league and things that are available to them that were perhaps not before might be a struggle while players that have made mistakes may have learned from them. So, there's never really a guarantee with any player. Just try not to whiff when you've got a Randy Moss or Tyrann Mathieu sitting there for the taking.

I agree on this BUT to me this is about an addiction. This isn't a guy that sold a stolen laptop, used false ID or used Pot once or twice.

This is a guy that got busted in 10 or more drugtests (and yes LSU did NOT send him a message by letting him keep playing), got dismissed from the team and entered rehab and then was arested for possesion of Marijuana.

Now you give this same guy a lot of money and freedom and I don't care if he stays clean for a week or a year - he is a huge risk for getting suspended again and again.

Now doesn't mean he won't stay within the rules and have a great career. I just think that teams looked at this as an addiction and that is one really hard cycle to break for most people......
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:12 am
  • mikeak wrote:
    TeamoftheCentury wrote: The thing is, though... you never know once an otherwise clean player gets into the league and things that are available to them that were perhaps not before might be a struggle while players that have made mistakes may have learned from them. So, there's never really a guarantee with any player. Just try not to whiff when you've got a Randy Moss or Tyrann Mathieu sitting there for the taking.

I agree on this BUT to me this is about an addiction. This isn't a guy that sold a stolen laptop, used false ID or used Pot once or twice.

This is a guy that got busted in 10 or more drugtests (and yes LSU did NOT send him a message by letting him keep playing), got dismissed from the team and entered rehab and then was arested for possesion of Marijuana.

Now you give this same guy a lot of money and freedom and I don't care if he stays clean for a week or a year - he is a huge risk for getting suspended again and again.

Now doesn't mean he won't stay within the rules and have a great career. I just think that teams looked at this as an addiction and that is one really hard cycle to break for most people......

There's a lot of "Yeah, but's..." that could be brought up in many situations. I certainly am not ignorant of the problems of addictions so need no tutoring on the subject. We're all aware of the young man's problems. So, without going into all that (and, again, I certainly grant it's important when considering the investment in these players), the dude is a baller and as far as evaluating football talent... a lot of teams missed or passed on this talent.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:15 am
  • mikeak wrote:I get your point but I still couldn't resist with the comment........

Sure, do what ya gotta do, I guess.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:16 pm
  • To combine into one post

Randy Moss - greatest talent ever to play the game? At least one of the greatest talent to ever play the game. I have yet to hear any one person saying he maximized or came close to maximizing his potential. He was relatively quiet in the NE superbowl run even though he had a touchdown in the game. He was part of a lot of controversy and issues during his path in the NFL. Sure many would still say it is the right guy but for every Randy Moss that worked out there are 10-15 that didn't. That is my point about - he doesn't have a superbowl either. While not at the prime of his career he was a part of teams that could make that superbowl run and while not his fault it didn't happen he at times surely didn't do his share to make it happen.

Now Honeybadger. He has had 1!!!! pre-season game. First of all it isn't known what kind of player that he will be in the regular season or how he will hold up to the game. Secondly he has issues.

I don't think that many teams "missed" on his talent. I think he was picked relatively high but picked in the right spot. He can have a great first year and then be out shortly thereafter.

Hernandez provided enough value for his draft as the 4th rounder. If you ignore the renewed contract they got great value out of him for a 4th round pick. Many others won't pan out / when they fall back later you have either wasted a draft pick or just tied up big money into the guy.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:41 pm
  • mikeak wrote:To combine into one post

Randy Moss - greatest talent ever to play the game? At least one of the greatest talent to ever play the game. I have yet to hear any one person saying he maximized or came close to maximizing his potential. He was relatively quiet in the NE superbowl run even though he had a touchdown in the game. He was part of a lot of controversy and issues during his path in the NFL. Sure many would still say it is the right guy but for every Randy Moss that worked out there are 10-15 that didn't. That is my point about - he doesn't have a superbowl either. While not at the prime of his career he was a part of teams that could make that superbowl run and while not his fault it didn't happen he at times surely didn't do his share to make it happen.

Now Honeybadger. He has had 1!!!! pre-season game. First of all it isn't known what kind of player that he will be in the regular season or how he will hold up to the game. Secondly he has issues.

I don't think that many teams "missed" on his talent. I think he was picked relatively high but picked in the right spot. He can have a great first year and then be out shortly thereafter.

Hernandez provided enough value for his draft as the 4th rounder. If you ignore the renewed contract they got great value out of him for a 4th round pick. Many others won't pan out / when they fall back later you have either wasted a draft pick or just tied up big money into the guy.

Hmmm... seems like maybe you're trying to make this into more that what has been said or what needs to be said. Mathieu is a player. Stating one pre-season game is like building a case while dismissing the rest of his body of work. He was an impact player in college. The one game he played in the pros, he showed some of that and gave indication that he's got skills, man. That's it. Nobody, but perhaps you, is trying to make this into anything else. I'm certainly not trying to nominate the guy for the HOF. He can just flat out play football. How long will he be able to do so? We'll see.

We cool?

Go Hawks!
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:10 pm
  • ^ We cool - I usually don't get upset about this stuff. I just read the posts like many teams had missed out on Honeybadger and wanted to communicate that until he stays clean and becomes a pro-bowler he was drafted pretty appropriately :)

Maybe I read to much into the statements
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:16 pm
  • I like Tyrann and he will probably do some good there but an addict is an addict. I'm a gratefully recovering drug addict and know just how easy it is to stay clean when things are going your way, it's when the isht hits the fan that causes the problems. A 4 game losing streak, a death in the family, any little thing could set him off and he hasn't begun to admit his problem or address it.

One thing I will agree with you on though Pe, something we can celebrate together because we were both excited for E.J. Manuel and Buffalo when they took him. I thought then, and I still believe, that E.J. was the best QB in this draft.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:37 pm
  • Pehawk and ivotuk, THE Seahawks.net draft experts.

All I've ever heard about Tyrann using is weed. As an addict myself, having gone to a few rehabs, I can't count that as an addicting drug. I just can't. Its all relative.

I wish the NFL would just let weed go like the NBA does.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:46 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Pehawk and ivotuk, THE Seahawks.net draft experts.

All I've ever heard about Tyrann using is weed. As an addict myself, having gone to a few rehabs, I can't count that as an addicting drug. I just can't. Its all relative.

I wish the NFL would just let weed go like the NBA does.

I wish the entire world would just let weed go. Reefer madness is the DEA having it as a Schedule II drug (IIRC) up there with Heroin. Absolutely ridiculous.

But as far as Tyrann, it's not so much the drug as the behavior.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information