Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Portland doesn't have a stadium that can hold 66,000+ fans. On a bad day, the Sounders have a bigger crowd than Portland does on their best day. It's not even close. That sealed where Dempsey wanted to play. Also having his best friend on the team didn't hurt either.

http://mlsattendance.blogspot.com/.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Dempsey came in after 30 minutes due to an injury to Oba Martins. He was fantastic. The quality he has is great for this team. He can hold the ball up and he played some wonderful passes. Took some chances with shots, forcing a lot of blocks, and a great save by the Toronto keeper. He was unlucky not to score.

He will score goals for this team, and gather assists as well. Amazing signing.

Also, Mauro Rosales...as much as I love him for what he's done for this club in the past, is not at the top of his game...or anywhere close to it. He is so far out of form i'm surprised he didn't miss the tap-in half volley form 3 yards out that was our first goal. He's lost a step, and an ounce of quality along the way. Great player for the club, but his time is coming to an end.

Also...Defense in the second half was horrid....just awful...Hahnemann kept us in that game.

The Sounders are back up into the playoff picture BTW....4 points out of first.

Also, we are undefeated in the last 40 games when we score first.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great 1st half. Don't know what happened in the 2nd half but it was awful. A complete 180 from the 1st half play. Dempsey was only the highlight of the second half. My worry is the players are going to stand around and watch Dempsey do his thing instead of running to the box, etc. They need to start hustling to help Dempsey out. No one in the league creates shots better than Dempsey.

Dren

Reaction score
Smurf":3oy7vaa7 said:
Also, Mauro Rosales...as much as I love him for what he's done for this club in the past, is not at the top of his game...or anywhere close to it. He is so far out of form i'm surprised he didn't miss the tap-in half volley form 3 yards out that was our first goal. He's lost a step, and an ounce of quality along the way. Great player for the club, but his time is coming to an end.

I really hate to agree with this seeing how he leads the club in games played and assists, but you're right. I think the general consensus is that this will be his last year with the club.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Well now that they got Dempsey, the Sounders decided they don't need any defense. What a pathetic showing yesterday. The Sounders are average at best on defense on a good day. Just awful.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Mauro let us down a bit last night, and Joseph and Alonso don't quite know how to play together...and Ianni was horrid...and Traore was too aggressive...and

just bad game. just bad.

Have to move past it...Portland week now. 67,000, Dempsey's home debut, CASCADIA.

Also, yall see that Fredy Montero netted a hat-trick in his league debut for Sporting Lisbon.

[youtube]JIWfGiM41to[/youtube]

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle's lucky not to be down a goal or two tonight. Their passing has been horrid and they've been caught multiple times on the counter by Portland.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
And right after I post that Zigi subs in Rosales for Joseph (as an aside, if Mauro is healthy enough to play why wasn't he starting?) and Mauro assists on a set piece header by E.J.

knownone

Reaction score
From a tactical stand point the Sounders looked absolutely lost without Mauro.
It bothers me that Sigi hasn't figured out a away to punish teams for crowding the middle of the final third. We rely far to much on the inconsistent service of Yedlin and Neagle, it's mind boggling. The strength of our team is right down the middle and we need to start getting those guys the ball in dangerous areas, maybe it's time to switch Neagle and Burch or put Dempsey out wide and allow him to roam, especially if Mauro isn't starting.

I feel odd saying this but we absolutely need a creative mid fielder if Mauro leaves at the end of the season, He is the catalyst for our counter attack and one the few player we have capable of giving consistent service into the box.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Seattle rode their luck big time in the first half. Could easily have been 2-0 if not more at half time. Shalrie Joseph is a disaster of a player. Played much better second half when Rosales came on, with some good chances created. Great result though but Portland will feel they should have taken something from the game.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":qgfxi8mm said:
Shalrie Joseph is a disaster of a player.
After Joseph tweaked his knee and put the brace on Twellman said on the broadcast "I'll be watching to see if he's a half-step or a step slower now." My response was, "How would you be able to tell?" Dude is like a statue out there most of the time.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
well congrats to both sets of supporters for showing the nation how a soccer match can look like.

Personally, Portland probably should have had the game in hand long before the first half whistle. Really had Seattle scrambling, looked quicker in their transition and far more technical in their passing.

Introduction of rosales helped Seattle alot. allowed Dempsey and Johnson to occupy the centerbacks more and Rosales just ran the left side. Portland never really recovered. Seattle probably deserved another goal really.

The game overall was a bit sloppy, as it usually is when the teams meet. Johnson's goal just emulated the gulf in quality between a former European goal scorer and a MLS players.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
When Joseph is in the game the Sounders look awful. Rosales may have lost a step or two but he's still better than Joseph. The pace of the game changed when Rosales entered the game and thus a score. They got a much needed 3 points.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
That game was everything I wanted it to be.

Open, Nasty, Gritty, Loud.

Fun game.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Went to my first Sounders game last night. What's with all the constant chanting?