Starting fast matters, too

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":1emyqpiq said:
BFS is kicking ass in here.

WRT the Atlanta game, Seattle's offense was actually very good in the first half, they were just incredibly unlucky/unclutch. The defense played awful in the first half, but the offense was on a 380 yard pace.

There was some poor game management there as well. I get going for the TD down by a lot, but we left 2 FGs on the field in the 2nd quarter and we lost by 2 points.

As for the OP....No Unger. No Lynch. No Rice. No Miller. No Worries. I'm not going to even get into the individual matchups all those guys usually win. Or the fact that the entire league's starting units were sluggish. Offense is almost always behind defense in the first 2 serious in the 1st preseason game.

If we suck all the way through the preseason, I'll be worried. Until then, it's a work in progress and I just hope the players identify areas of imrovement, and do so. I know Wilson will be doing that.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH(preseason, dumbass).

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":26oy87ac said:
Carroll seems to want to begin games with a demoralizing big play. I've seen many Carroll games the last three years begin with either such a big play or a strategy meant to set one up. The trouble is that attempting to manufacture one often prevents a methodical drive and leaves the first quarter offense looking hot-and-cold over the course of a season.
That's a tendency of his that seems counterintuitive. He wants to pound the ball and wear down the defense, but he hastens the end of the drive by going for the big play. But here's the thing: He wants the defense to respect that big play because then they can't just tee off early against Lynch. If they bite too hard on Lynch, Wilson burns them deep. This gives Lyunch more wiggle room and allows Carroll to implement his core strategy of wearing down their defense.

uncle fester

Reaction score
I thought the team in black and white played well. And that guy who looked like Jesus. We should totally trade for him.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
The funny thing is that arguably the best opening drive we had all year came against the Rams in St. Louis. That was probably our worst game of the year overall but we did take an early 7-0 lead.

I do agree that we can't afford to give opponents 14 point, 20 point leads like we did in the playoffs and expect to have a successful season, but I think it's too early to worry about that based on a sloppy performance by our starters in one preseason game.

themunn

Reaction score
Hawks46":3smfoq0r said:
kearly":3smfoq0r said:
BFS is kicking ass in here.

WRT the Atlanta game, Seattle's offense was actually very good in the first half, they were just incredibly unlucky/unclutch. The defense played awful in the first half, but the offense was on a 380 yard pace.

There was some poor game management there as well. I get going for the TD down by a lot, but we left 2 FGs on the field in the 2nd quarter and we lost by 2 points.

As for the OP....No Unger. No Lynch. No Rice. No Miller. No Worries. I'm not going to even get into the individual matchups all those guys usually win. Or the fact that the entire league's starting units were sluggish. Offense is almost always behind defense in the first 2 serious in the 1st preseason game.

If we suck all the way through the preseason, I'll be worried. Until then, it's a work in progress and I just hope the players identify areas of imrovement, and do so. I know Wilson will be doing that.

Hmmm, to be fair though the second FG left on the field is down to RW - get rid of the ball and stop the clock, don't take the sack. Even with a 10 second run-off we'd still have had time to kick the FG, instead we take the sack and the clock runs to 0.
The first one was just bad playcalling - they'd just stopped us on 3rd and short and had bottled up our running game right from the start, if you're going for it on 4th down (which was still the right choice), go out with 4 receivers and MRob running out wide, with Wilson's scrambling ability we should convert 4th and 1 99% of the time.

sutz

Reaction score
Meh, preseason aside, the old adage holds. You don't win championships in September...and definitely not in August. :)

What you want to do is not LOSE the championship in September. Keep it close and don't dig a hole so deep you can't climb out of.

Second guessing a successful football coach is a long and honored fan tradition.

Oh, and somebody slap the guy who posted the 80 million character wide post. :p

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete's point is that even IF you don't start fast, it doesn't mean you should fold your tent and go home.