Dishnet Vs. Direct TV?

Axx

Reaction score
[youtube]jn5zytfm9No[/youtube]

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
HawkWow":3s3xo0he said:
lvnginhwktwn":3s3xo0he said:
Nice, I use to do that commute, go to Kauai on Monday come home to Oahu on Friday. I was working for the property management company that ran Coconut Market Place, Princeville Shopping Center and Rice Shopping Center. I painted all of them. Still have a house over in Kane'ohe on Oahu.

Ahhhh,

I knew the guy you worked for..Bill? and he had a side thing called Apex painting (?). I lived in Haole-wood for almost 20 years. Who was the black / Carribean guy? Was his name Tom? Great guy....is that you? I did sports radio in Pville for many years as well as "alterative" rock on Friday nights. I have no doubt we know each other.

I worked for Asset Realty formerly William Powell and Assoc., we had a maintenance and janitorial division and we recieved so many request for painting that I started a painting division called ARC Painting. Bill Powell was the owner, Bobby or Bob Fleming is the black guy you are thinking of, he was the maintenance Supervisor for Coconut Market Place, I heard his mom was sick with cancer and he moved back to the Virgin Islands.

We have probably met I'm sure.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Yes, Bill Powell. I knew him fairly well and I liked Bob a lot. I was thinking Apex Painting, but now I do recall it was ARC painting (not Apex). Whatcha' doin' up there in the land of the 12th man?

Why not just convert bro? That 9er thing is only going to cause you heartache...sadness. Let me know if you need a sponsor to help you get to that 12th step. ; )

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
HawkWow":3uu18qvz said:
Yes, Bill Powell. I knew him fairly well and I liked Bob a lot. I was thinking Apex Painting, but now I do recall it was ARC painting (not Apex). Whatcha' doin' up there in the land of the 12th man?

Why not just convert bro? That 9er thing is only going to cause you heartache...sadness. Let me know if you need a sponsor to help you get to that 12th step. ; )

What am I doing in Hawk country? You mean besides getting pelted with Hawk shit.....lol

Moved up to the Puget Sound area in 07, wife works for PSNS now, came over from Pearl Harbor. We were looking for a place somewhere in the NW that I could work and she could keep here government job. So far we love it here, we have a couple of boats and like the crabbing and fishing and so do the relatives when they come over. You know how Hawaiians love their seafood.

Been a 9er fan since the 70s, don't think I am going to convert. I do root for the NFC West when we are not playing against our rivals. How did you become a Hawk fan in Hawaii?

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":1t60s4t8 said:
HawkWow":1t60s4t8 said:

What am I doing in Hawk country? You mean besides getting pelted with Hawk shit.....lol

Moved up to the Puget Sound area in 07, wife works for PSNS now, came over from Pearl Harbor. We were looking for a place somewhere in the NW that I could work and she could keep here government job. So far we love it here, we have a couple of boats and like the crabbing and fishing and so do the relatives when they come over. You know how Hawaiians love their seafood.

Been a 9er fan since the 70s, don't think I am going to convert. I do root for the NFC West when we are not playing against our rivals. How did you become a Hawk fan in Hawaii?

I was born in Seattle but my immediate family moved to the Midwest, like dumbass', when I was 5. I became a Packer fan (no Hawks back then). Back home in Seattle, my gramps was a politician and helped get the Kingdome built and the Hawks were born. I started rooting for the Hawks because they meant so much to my Gramps. We moved to Hawaii soon after but I started going back and forth to Seattle, from Kauai, on a regular basis. I became friends with one of the Hawk vice presidents and certainly enjoyed the percs that went with that. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago. So did my gramps, which made the tragedy of SB XL even more tragic.

You are a lucky man. Pad in Kaneohe and living in Seattle. I can't imagine a more ideal set-up and that is exactly how my retirement will look.

So what's happening with ARC painting these days? You still holding your C-33?

I will end this on topic....NEVER USE DISH NETWORK!! Just a terrible company that lies to and cheats their customers. DISH NETWORK SUCKS!

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
Bill and I are still friends, but we had a parting of the ways. He still has ARC Painting, but he has a different RME. Kinda funny because his new RME is from Seattle. I currently own a painting business over in Kitsap County, my company is Aloha Painting & Housecalls.

Largent80

Reaction score
I have Direct. I have been mostly pleased. However, Thursday night, NFL network could not be seen. A message appeared that if I wanted to order it I could.

Excuse me, but I PAY FOR IT AS PART OF MY PACKAGE.

It was back on Friday morning, but I missed the game.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":4wbpz5k1 said:
Bill and I are still friends, but we had a parting of the ways. He still has ARC Painting, but he has a different RME. Kinda funny because his new RME is from Seattle. I currently own a painting business over in Kitsap County, my company is Aloha Painting & Housecalls.

I can understand the "parting of ways"...I'll leave it at that. ;)

Lots of money to be made on the mainland. Especially if you're willing to diversify a bit and get into the industrial side. If interested, researching the merits of polyurea would be a great start. HUGE potential with this incredible, fast drying (30 secs) polymer. SPI is out of Lakewood and they make a great product and offer schooling (necessary). Think of a bedliner on steroids. 100% solids, 600% elongation and NSF 61 approved for potable water. Also impervious to SO-2 gas. Available in both aromatic and aliphatic. Definitely superior to Urethanes and epoxies. Cascade Industries in Bothell are pioneers in the industry.

One caveat: This technology is only available to Seahawk fans. ;)

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Largent80":1jxdj923 said:
I have Direct. I have been mostly pleased. However, Thursday night, NFL network could not be seen. A message appeared that if I wanted to order it I could.

I had the same experience. I ended up turning the TV off and watched the game on the net. Later I learned from another poster it was due to a technical error and they put the game on once it was corrected. Guess you have to keep checking when that happens.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
HawkWow":nmm9hud1 said:
So, yesterday I am fired up (yes, I know) for the Phins and Cowboys game. Get the yard work done and sit down for the first glimpse of football. I scrolled through the menu no less than 5 times but still couldn't locate the game. I decided to call DISH NETWORK and learned we no longer have NBC. $150 a month and no access to this game and worse...NO access to Sunday night games. A few choice words later and I was asked if I wanted to cancel my subscription. I hung up.

I know Direct has that Sunday ticket and living in Hawaii, that would assure me of seeing the Hawks weekly but I've heard not such good things about them too.
Does anyone that has experienced these two networks have an opinion on them or preference? Please reply because the clock is ticking. Living on an outer island in Hawaii..it could take weeks to change my service and I'd hate to jump from the frying pan into the fire. I thank you in advance.

Dish doesnt have NBC? Wow.

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkWow":1we32hjw said:
Largent80":1we32hjw said:

I had the same experience. I ended up turning the TV off and watched the game on the net. Later I learned from another poster it was due to a technical error and they put the game on once it was corrected. Guess you have to keep checking when that happens.

Are you guys sure it wasn't a blackout thing. As they went to the seahawks game I figured it was because local Fox was carrying the game so the NFL network was blacked out where I lived

taz291819

Reaction score
rdskns4eva":18tyabix said:
HawkWow":18tyabix said:
So, yesterday I am fired up (yes, I know) for the Phins and Cowboys game. Get the yard work done and sit down for the first glimpse of football. I scrolled through the menu no less than 5 times but still couldn't locate the game. I decided to call DISH NETWORK and learned we no longer have NBC. $150 a month and no access to this game and worse...NO access to Sunday night games. A few choice words later and I was asked if I wanted to cancel my subscription. I hung up.

I know Direct has that Sunday ticket and living in Hawaii, that would assure me of seeing the Hawks weekly but I've heard not such good things about them too.
Does anyone that has experienced these two networks have an opinion on them or preference? Please reply because the clock is ticking. Living on an outer island in Hawaii..it could take weeks to change my service and I'd hate to jump from the frying pan into the fire. I thank you in advance.

Dish doesnt have NBC? Wow.

It depends upon where you live, ie, who owns your local NBC affiliate.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Thus far I am extremely pleased having subbed Direct for Dish. When I was cancelling Dish, they really showed their true colors. I will not return and have cost them money...as promised.

My contract terms with them expired in November, but in December, I encouraged my neighbor to ditch cable for Dishnet. I didn't know I would be entitled to a finder's fee ($50). The dish guy knocked on my door and told me about the $50. He also told me about their silly-ass "Joey Hopper" thing that would allow me to record additional programs (simultaneously). I saw the Direct TV Genie commercial and thought they were one in the same. I said...so I will be able to record 5 channels at once? he paused then said "yes". That was a lie.

(With my contract expired) I commented that it was too bad the new subscribers get this technology but not current subscribers. He asked me if I would rather have the "Hopper" BS thing instead of the $50 and I said...sure. He hooked me up with it and that was that. Soon after I realized it did not record 5 channels but NBD.

Last week I called to cancel and they said "OK, it will cost you $170.00 to do so". The money didn't concern me but I asked...why would I be charged when my subscription has expired? They then informed me that by accepting their crap "Hopper", I "automatically re-upped (my) subscription for an additional 2 years". I said "show me that in writing...show me where I signed such a thing". They said "no, it was a verbal (seriously) acceptance and just accepting the upgrade kicked in the new subscription...you have to read the fine print". F the fine print.

As I promised Dishnet I would, I have talked 2 friends into cancelling Dishnet and they will go to Direct TV. I will receive a $100 finder's fee for each that will cover the lost $170.00...and there will be many more to follow. Even after being warned this would happen, the Dishnet rep said "please know you are welcome back at anytime". Idiots.

taz291819

Reaction score
Just a warning, Directv does re-up your contract if you receive anything free from them, especially equipment.

Now don't get me wrong, I've never had to pay for a receiver or DVR from them, they always offer the newest tech for free to me, but it does restart my 2-year contract every time. To me it's worth it, but I just wanted to let ya'll know that.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
taz291819":19bv9395 said:
Just a warning, Directv does re-up your contract if you receive anything free from them, especially equipment.

Now don't get me wrong, I've never had to pay for a receiver or DVR from them, they always offer the newest tech for free to me, but it does restart my 2-year contract every time. To me it's worth it, but I just wanted to let ya'll know that.

Great info and appreciated. It was the way they slipped this in on me that pissed me off. The tech never mentioned anything about a renewal, instead pretending the upgrade was instead of the $50 bucks (which I guess I should still be owed). He did this with a knowing wink like..."I'm taking care of you bro". Hawaii is a relatively small place and he and I will see each other again.

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkWow":pwxv663q said:
Thus far I am extremely pleased having subbed Direct for Dish. When I was cancelling Dish, they really showed their true colors. I will not return and have cost them money...as promised.

My contract terms with them expired in November, but in December, I encouraged my neighbor to ditch cable for Dishnet. I didn't know I would be entitled to a finder's fee ($50). The dish guy knocked on my door and told me about the $50. He also told me about their silly-ass "Joey Hopper" thing that would allow me to record additional programs (simultaneously). I saw the Direct TV Genie commercial and thought they were one in the same. I said...so I will be able to record 5 channels at once? he paused then said "yes". That was a lie.

(With my contract expired) I commented that it was too bad the new subscribers get this technology but not current subscribers. He asked me if I would rather have the "Hopper" BS thing instead of the $50 and I said...sure. He hooked me up with it and that was that. Soon after I realized it did not record 5 channels but NBD.

Last week I called to cancel and they said "OK, it will cost you $170.00 to do so". The money didn't concern me but I asked...why would I be charged when my subscription has expired? They then informed me that by accepting their crap "Hopper", I "automatically re-upped (my) subscription for an additional 2 years". I said "show me that in writing...show me where I signed such a thing". They said "no, it was a verbal (seriously) acceptance and just accepting the upgrade kicked in the new subscription...you have to read the fine print". F the fine print.

As I promised Dishnet I would, I have talked 2 friends into cancelling Dishnet and they will go to Direct TV. I will receive a $100 finder's fee for each that will cover the lost $170.00...and there will be many more to follow. Even after being warned this would happen, the Dishnet rep said "please know you are welcome back at anytime". Idiots.

You are like me lol. I once got screwed by some fineprint that wasn't available. It was from Bank of America. After spending 2 hours with their rep on the phone I asked her - "do you make more than $15 / hour" and then said "since I know you don't" I just now got twice the value from your company over what you got from me and please close my account immediately.

I know it doesn't get to upper management but I also know they didn't end up benefiting from me and no way they get another dime

Directv has been good and very open with their policies with me.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
mikeak":26ezieuo said:
HawkWow":26ezieuo said:

You are like me lol. I once got screwed by some fineprint that wasn't available. It was from Bank of America. After spending 2 hours with their rep on the phone I asked her - "do you make more than $15 / hour" and then said "since I know you don't" I just now got twice the value from your company over what you got from me and please close my account immediately.

I know it doesn't get to upper management but I also know they didn't end up benefiting from me and no way they get another dime

Directv has been good and very open with their policies with me.

Nice. Sometimes these companies are just astonishing. For our rental, we bought a new W&D set-up. (Probably) $1800 for the set. Right away our tenants called to complain the washer would stop working when it hit the higher spin cycle. After a couple unsuccessful visits to repair the thing, I informed Sears we wanted a new one. "Oh no, there are several more steps we have to follow before replacing the unit". That was probably 6 (monthly) visits ago. They've basically replaced every part in the thing and still it don't work. With labor, they must have no less than a $1000 in it by now....but they "will try one more thing". It would be laughable except I've knocked $100 a month off the tenants rent. So I'm out about $600, too. This is the mentality forcing our once great country into 3rd world status (IMO).

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Just called DirecTV to see if they could make me a better deal than Comcast/Xfinity since I'm switching to them for my internet/phone.

The first guy said, "that's a sweet deal and I can only give you about a $10 discount so please let me get you in touch with our retention department and they'll take care of you." No BS, they knew that I was serious and were willing to be straight from the beginning.

The Retention person said immediately that he's got a great deal that he thinks I'll like. Basically, they upgraded my DVR for free to a Genie and a Genie-Go so I can now record up-to 5 shows at once, gave me Sunday Ticket Max for a year for free, their sports pack for a year for free (because I mentioned that I wanted the Pac-12 network even though it's not with them right now), gave me a $50 promo immediately because I wanted to sign up for Fox Soccer Plus ($14.99/mo) for about 2.5 months so I could watch the Rugby Championship, gave me a $15/credit for the next 12 months, free Showtime and Cinemax for 3 months and I ended up signing up for another 2-year contract.

Pretty excited.