#3 QB

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
#3 QB
Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:23 am
  • assuming Seattle keeps a third string qb this year, will it be the loser of the tjackk-quinnn competition or will that person get cut and they'll go with a developmental person at #3?
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

Re: #3 QB
Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:24 am
  • I bet we only carry two with MikeRob as emergency. Too much neeed/talent to carry another clipboard holder.
    "We have to focus with every challenge we get. The bigger, the better. The more hyped, the better. We keep doing what we're doing. Tough matchups on the road, high-profile games - we want that, we feed off that, we should be able to develop the discipline to deal with that." Pete Carroll
    Hawkfish
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:28 am
  • Yep. No way we keep 3 QB's this year. We have far too much talent that could contribute at other positions right away.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• We will only keep 2, like last year. The need for a #3 QB does not trump the desire to keep a valuable member of the roster at another position, IMO. The possibility of needing a #3 QB for a portion of a game is remote compared to the contributions we might get elsewhere.

M Rob gives us a luxury of having an emergency #3 QB in place.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• What Hawkfish said. I assume they'll pick up some young guy cut from another team for their practice squad who will basically serve at the defacto #3.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:32 am
  • I think that they will only keep Wilson and TJ. They'll need that spot to keep an additional RB or DB IMO.
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:38 am
  • People keep mentioning that we could utilize MikeRob as an emergency QB but is there any evidence to support this theory beyond him being a QB in college? Has MikeRob actually stepped in at QB at practice? I haven't heard or seen any of the coaches or MikeRob talk about that. Not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely curious.
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:41 am
  • 12thMan1 wrote:People keep mentioning that we could utilize MikeRob as an emergency QB but is there any evidence to support this theory beyond him being a QB in college? Has MikeRob actually stepped in at QB at practice? I haven't heard or seen any of the coaches or MikeRob talk about that. Not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely curious.

I don't think that'd happen.
    If Wilson or Jackson went down we'd pick up another QB.
    If both went down in a game we've probably got someone else that can snap the ball and give it to Lynch
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:41 am
  • He has served as the emergency QB on the roster in the past with Carroll.
    "We have to focus with every challenge we get. The bigger, the better. The more hyped, the better. We keep doing what we're doing. Tough matchups on the road, high-profile games - we want that, we feed off that, we should be able to develop the discipline to deal with that." Pete Carroll
    Hawkfish
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:44 am
  • Hawkfish wrote:I bet we only carry two with MikeRob as emergency. Too much neeed/talent to carry another clipboard holder.

If I recall correctly, Kam is the emergency QB.
    CornerHawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:46 am
  • 12thMan1 wrote:People keep mentioning that we could utilize MikeRob as an emergency QB but is there any evidence to support this theory beyond him being a QB in college? Has MikeRob actually stepped in at QB at practice? I haven't heard or seen any of the coaches or MikeRob talk about that. Not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely curious.

Needing the #3 QB would be in extremis. That would mean BOTH Wilson and Jackson (assuming) get knocked out. It happens very rarely in the NFL.

You are talking about an in-game emergency, not afterwards where they would bring in a free agent. At that point, you would need a guy to take snaps and hand the ball off and hope the defense could win the game for us. Mike Rob makes sense, he is a former QB, he is cerebral and he knows all the running plays down pat.

The decision is do you keep a third QB on the active roster, a guy who has a less than 1% chance of ever playing in game...ahead of another RB, OL/DL or LB (positions that would most likely be impacted), guys that would contribute on special teams.

The proof is in the pudding - we only went with 2 last season, and that was with a rookie QB starting. That really shows you where Carroll is at with it.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:49 am
  • themunn wrote:
    12thMan1 wrote:People keep mentioning that we could utilize MikeRob as an emergency QB but is there any evidence to support this theory beyond him being a QB in college? Has MikeRob actually stepped in at QB at practice? I haven't heard or seen any of the coaches or MikeRob talk about that. Not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely curious.

I don't think that'd happen.
    If Wilson or Jackson went down we'd pick up another QB.
    If both went down in a game we've probably got someone else that can snap the ball and give it to Lynch

MRob would be an emergency QB insomuch that he would step in and finish the game should the unthinkable happen where both Russ AND TJ went down (cross self, knock on wood). And he's likely only handing the ball off 30 times at that. You could bet your house that JS would have Josh Portis &/or Jerrod Johnson &/or SOMEBODY else &/or ANYBODY else in the building Monday morning to start at QB the next week.

There is precicely ZERO chance that MRob would ever START at quarterback.
    Last edited by CANHawk on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:50 am
  • Josh Portis may join the PS after the Argonauts season is over. Quinn will play a lot and he'll know the system when he gets the boot. He'll be the Hawks taxi squad QB this season. Too bad he's not more consistent.
    I'm In!

What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:26 am
  • Practice Squad for Quinn? Slap in the face for him but after last night that might be the best he could hope for.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:30 am
  • If we are down to our 3rd/emergency QB, the game is over anyway. Hopefully we are up by 21+ points by then.

We just need a PS guy to fill in clipboard duties on game day if need be.
    GO BEARS!

671hawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:31 am
  • Evil_Shenanigans wrote:Practice Squad for Quinn? Slap in the face for him but after last night that might be the best he could hope for.

Quinn is a vet. I doubt he would have any PS eligibility.
    GO BEARS!

671hawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:33 am
  • 671hawk wrote:
    Evil_Shenanigans wrote:Practice Squad for Quinn? Slap in the face for him but after last night that might be the best he could hope for.

Quinn is a vet. I doubt he would have any PS eligibility.

Yeah, Quinn stopped having P.S. eligibility about 6 seasons ago, lol.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:35 am
  • So I just learned something new. Days not a total waste!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:35 am
  • Evil_Shenanigans wrote:So I just learned something new. Days not a total waste!

Lol...
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:47 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:We will only keep 2, like last year. The need for a #3 QB does not trump the desire to keep a valuable member of the roster at another position, IMO. The possibility of needing a #3 QB for a portion of a game is remote compared to the contributions we might get elsewhere.

It's not always as a backup to the backup, or emergency plan, why teams will keep a 3rd QB. Look at GB...they keep 3 QBs and Rodgers is amazingly healthy, even though he's one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

Schneider came from GB, and they like to get a guy in the draft, coach him up for a couple of years, let him tear it up in the preseason, then trade him for picks.

I agree with the rest of the comments that we have too much roster talent to burn a spot on a 3rd QB this year. If we needed draft picks, we could trade some of our younger CBs to a team that really needs one (Carolina, Jacksonville, etc.). Strangely enough, it almost seems like we really don't need a ton of draft picks, with the mid and late round success rate we've had, coupled with finding good UDFA's that can play.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:49 am
  • Hawks46 wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:We will only keep 2, like last year. The need for a #3 QB does not trump the desire to keep a valuable member of the roster at another position, IMO. The possibility of needing a #3 QB for a portion of a game is remote compared to the contributions we might get elsewhere.

It's not always as a backup to the backup, or emergency plan, why teams will keep a 3rd QB. Look at GB...they keep 3 QBs and Rodgers is amazingly healthy, even though he's one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

Schneider came from GB, and they like to get a guy in the draft, coach him up for a couple of years, let him tear it up in the preseason, then trade him for picks.

I agree with the rest of the comments that we have too much roster talent to burn a spot on a 3rd QB this year. If we needed draft picks, we could trade some of our younger CBs to a team that really needs one (Carolina, Jacksonville, etc.). Strangely enough, it almost seems like we really don't need a ton of draft picks, with the mid and late round success rate we've had, coupled with finding good UDFA's that can play.

Yes, but most importantly...we only kept 2 last season, even though our starter was a rookie. That says it all, IMO.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:54 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:We will only keep 2, like last year. The need for a #3 QB does not trump the desire to keep a valuable member of the roster at another position, IMO. The possibility of needing a #3 QB for a portion of a game is remote compared to the contributions we might get elsewhere.

I have no doubt if somebody came up later in the draft that they really like as a developemental type, they would take him and keep as a third if he was good. Trade him as stated when shows his stuff or could take the 2nd spot. However, that is not the case this year as they obviously did not get a shot at anybody they liked so they just roll w/ the 2 and worry about that next year.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:56 pm
  • Listening to Brock Huard call the game last night suddenly reminded me of who Brady Quinn reminds me of: Brock Huard. I think we will be fine with RW and TJack. I have no concerns whether or not Quinn will be available should we need to stoop that low for a QB.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information