Will Thurmond win the job over Browner...?

Largent80

Reaction score
Let's just enjoy what is more than likely Browners last year in Hawk blue. Thurmond had better hope he has a decent spring or he is outside looking in.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Warren Moon just stated on whatever the 3pm kiro sports dudez show is that he thinks one of these two will not be on the team. I don't see either getting cut, maybe one gets traded or is Warren is talking out his backside?

Lithium

Reaction score
m0ng0":1qvj8f5w said:
Warren Moon just stated on whatever the 3pm kiro sports dudez show is that he thinks one of these two will not be on the team. I don't see either getting cut, maybe one gets traded or is Warren is talking out his backside?

I cant see Browner getting cut or traded, what would be the benefit of trading a Pro-Bowl corner right before a season?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":itjh4yle said:
Browner is probably the league's nastiest press corner, and he combines that with smart play, good awareness, a big wingspan and soft hands. He's actually pretty fast in a dead sprint too, its just that he lacks fluidity which really hurts him against quicker receivers with regards to short area quickness. Browner is also a very nice player to have in run support. Browner was a legit pro-bowler in 2011 and was even better in 2012 (disqualified - Adderall).

So it's with no disrespect when I agree with many others that Thurmond is the better of the two. Thurmond's ball skills rival Sherman's, and the rest of his game isn't terribly far behind. Maybe Thurmond really can't stay healthy, but if he does stay on the field, he's on his way to doing great things.

IIRC, Pete didn't shy away from getting his backup DBs on the field last season, even before we lost Browner. So I expect we'll see a lot of rotating at the position, and both will be 2013 contributors.

I couldn't agree with you more Kip. Thurmond's talent is undeniable. The times he's actually been in there he's looked good -- VERY GOOD IMO. In terms of his coverage ability, I'd say he's far superior to Browner, but then again Browner just plays such a different game -- he's the yin to Sherman's yang because of how physical he plays and how he can disrupt opposing WR's routes. Thurmond's biggest problem has always been a matter of being able to stay healthy. If he's actually able to for any sustainable period of time ... then absolutely he's quite capable of winning that starting spot. In the end my money's on Browner, but it should be an interesting competition for sure. Even if he doesn't, I'd say Thurmond's a lock in dime packages and would be an incredible shot in the arm there along with Winfield.

themunn

Reaction score
GoldenIsThyTate":2b6kbq6y said:
m0ng0":2b6kbq6y said:

I cant see Browner getting cut or traded, what would be the benefit of trading a Pro-Bowl corner right before a season?

I could just about see the benefit of trading him if we were to get a high pick (assuming the FO thought Thurmond was the better option).
Obviously the same applies to Thurmond, but his perceived value by other teams probably isn't an accurate reflection of his actual value.

As such, I don't believe that either will be cut or traded. I could maybe see the logic in Winfield getting cut (for Thurmond), but none of the three have a particularly high cap hit, so I really don't see any value to getting rid of any unless we get a ridiculous offer

ensett

Reaction score
Thurmond is fun to fantasize about, but his claim to fame so far is being as durable as wet cardboard, and a pass interference call in the endzone in the Saints playoff game. Until he can actually stay on a field for multiple games in a row in a significant role, I don't think we really have any idea what kind of player thurmond is yet

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ensett":37f0sn1i said:
Thurmond is fun to fantasize about, but his claim to fame so far is being as durable as wet cardboard, and a pass interference call in the endzone in the Saints playoff game. Until he can actually stay on a field for multiple games in a row in a significant role, I don't think we really have any idea what kind of player thurmond is yet

Again, Thurmond has played 22 games, including 14 in a row during the 2010 season. If he were as much a stranger to the field as you and others are implying, we wouldn't have the football-savvy guys on this board (e.g. Kip and Hawkscanner) comparing him to Browner in net value, not to mention Sando. The distinct goodwill and anticipation for Thurmond that has remained amongst the community, journalists, and bloggers doesn't exist for no reason. He HAS played enough to give us an idea of his potential.

I'm not taking Moon's comment about cutting one of them at face value. Given WT3's injury history, Browner's effective but one-dimensional game, their combined cheapness, and room for both on the roster, there's absolutely no compelling reason to jettison either one. If one must be traded, trade Browner. Thurmond has the talent, we've got Winfield in the slot, there's ridiculous depth, and Browner might well fetch a third-rounder from some idiot front office.

Tical21

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":qw64ekfp said:
ensett":qw64ekfp said:

Again, Thurmond has played 22 games, including 14 in a row during the 2010 season. If he were as much a stranger to the field as you and others are implying, we wouldn't have the football-savvy guys on this board (e.g. Kip and Hawkscanner) comparing him to Browner in net value, not to mention Sando. The distinct goodwill and anticipation for Thurmond that has remained amongst the community, journalists, and bloggers doesn't exist for no reason. He HAS played enough to give us an idea of his potential.

I'm not taking Moon's comment about cutting one of them at face value. Given WT3's injury history, Browner's effective but one-dimensional game, their combined cheapness, and room for both on the roster, there's absolutely no compelling reason to jettison either one. If one must be traded, trade Browner. Thurmond has the talent, we've got Winfield in the slot, there's ridiculous depth, and Browner might well fetch a third-rounder from some idiot front office.
You're aware that the Seahawks have played 51 games during that time frame, right? But Thurmond was able to play 14 in a row!! Let's crown his ass~!

I ask again, since nobody would answer. How many of those 22 games did Thurmond spend significant time at corner? How many were primarily special teams games with a little nickel mixed in?

If you had to bet your house this season....would Thurmond be healthy enough for 12 games?

I don't think anybody has said he isn't talented. Just that there is no way to be sure yet how talented, and that he can't stay on the field anywhere near long enough to be trusted to the point where you demote an improving player that is already a pro-bowler.

Lets see if the kid can even stay off IR for a few weeks before we go around demoting very good players. This is getting ridiculous.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3aztjfpw said:
Browner might well fetch a third-rounder from some idiot front office.

Why on earth would we trade Browner for a lousy Third round pick going into THIS season?

Break up The Legion of Boom for The Legion of Whom??

The Radish

Reaction score
m0ng0":3uxh984d said:

Sounds like Moon is already drunk.

:roll:

McGruff

Reaction score
GoldenIsThyTate":j3gxd1j0 said:
m0ng0":j3gxd1j0 said:

A first round draft pick+our first round draft pick=Jadevon Clowney

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Cleveland would become really really good defensively with a second stud corner...

Axx

Reaction score
Browner and ET make a great combo. Browner bullies them at the line enough to slow the route down giving ET more than enough time to read the QB.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
For all the raving in camp, Thurmond looked incredibly average today. Meh.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3s1of1uu said:

He was a step behind all game. Could be him getting up to speed. Could be that he has lost a step. Would like to see more of him. Winfield wasn't tested much tonight, so it is hard to make a real comparison.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawksFTW":dfh8ywmw said:
Coug_Hawk08":dfh8ywmw said:

He was a step behind all game. Could be him getting up to speed. Could be that he has lost a step. Would like to see more of him. Winfield wasn't tested much tonight, so it is hard to make a real comparison.
Agree but it was nice seeing Thurmond out there regardless.

ensett

Reaction score
Thurmond is probably rusty as heck after spending the majority of every season since he was in HS on the sideline