Sources: Clint Dempsey to Sounders

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2zsuqsra said:
Well put... (I'm just trying to get more Sounders fans to justify it to piss off more Timbers fans)

Ha, nice! I'm honestly trying not to tweak Timbers fans, as I like the good-natured rivalry but am not a fan of anything beyond that.

Smurf

Reaction score
It's the first part of the DP rules....a player who makes more than x is DP. Dempsey makes more than x....is a DP.

Being a DP skips all other methods of entering the league (allocation and discovery). Its right there in the rules. NYRB did it with Reyna, we did it with Dempsey...if you want to go get Michael Bradley or Jozy...by all means, pony up and pay them. I have no doubt the league will pay your fee too.

Seriously. No rules were broken or skated around. Thats a fact.

The league paying the transfer fee is a little odd, but it makes sense. Its an investment in the league. As MLS fans its hard to be upset at that.

Tell your FO you want a player like Dempsey and I'm sure they will work on getting you one. Talent is to be had, it just costs $$$$

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Smurf":y3d5xk2q said:
It's the first part of the DP rules....a player who makes more than x is DP. Dempsey makes more than x....is a DP.

Being a DP skips all other methods of entering the league (allocation and discovery). Its right there in the rules. NYRB did it with Reyna, we did it with Dempsey...if you want to go get Michael Bradley or Jozy...by all means, pony up and pay them. I have no doubt the league will pay your fee too.

The league paying the transfer fee is a little odd, but it makes sense. Its an investment in the league. As MLS fans its hard to be upset at that.

Tell your FO you want a player like Dempsey and I'm sure they will work on getting you one. Talent is to be had, it just costs $$$$

Designated Player rules:

B) DESIGNATED PLAYER
The Designated Player Rule allows clubs to acquire up to three players whose salaries exceed their budget charges, with the club bearing financial responsibility for the amount of compensation above each player’s budget charge. Designated Player slots may be used to acquire players new to MLS or to retain current MLS players, subject to League approval.

In 2012, a Designated Player over the age of 23** will carry a salary budget charge of $350,000, unless the player joins his club in the middle of the season, in which case his budget charge will be $175,000.

A Designated Player 20 years old or younger** counts as $150,000 against the club’s salary budget and a Designated Player 21-23 years old counts as $200,000 against the club’s salary budget.

Clubs have the option of “buying down” the budget charge of a Designated Player with allocation money. The reduced charge may not be less than $150,000.

The budget charge for the midseason signing of a young Designated Player (23 years old and younger) is $150,000 and this amount cannot be lowered with allocation funds.

Each club has two Designated Player slots and clubs are allowed to “purchase” a third Designated Player slot for a one-time fee of $250,000 that will be dispersed in the form of allocation money to all clubs that do not have three Designated Players. Clubs will not have to buy the third DP roster slot to accommodate Designated Players 23 years old and younger.

Designated Player slots are not tradable.

** Age of player is determined by year (not date) of birth.

Not in there. So, you're the one who has to source your claim.

Reyna was not a former MLS player. Keep reaching.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Uncle Si":21xu3t0q said:
CurryStopstheRuns":21xu3t0q said:
Weird...I left a bowl of sour grapes laying around in the Portland area but all that I could find left was the bowl.

Do you disagree Seattle got preferential treatment and the league skirted a handful of policies to get Dempsey to Seattle?

Yes, the Sounders were given preferential treatment when the league paid the transfer fee but according to Deuce the only other teams in the mix were Toronto and LA. Portland can only afford one DP so they never stood a chance.

If the Timber's bitches and whines were nickels and dimes they could afford two more DP's

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":15up17pd said:
Uncle Si":15up17pd said:
CurryStopstheRuns":15up17pd said:
Weird...I left a bowl of sour grapes laying around in the Portland area but all that I could find left was the bowl.

Do you disagree Seattle got preferential treatment and the league skirted a handful of policies to get Dempsey to Seattle?

Yes, the Sounders were given preferential treatment when the league paid the transfer fee but according to Deuce the only other teams in the mix were Toronto and LA. Portland can only afford one DP so they never stood a chance.

If the Timber's bitches and whines were nickels and dimes they could afford two more DP's

See... It worked. OK Timbers fans your turn

Smurf

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":nyldzhe1 said:
Smurf":nyldzhe1 said:

Designated Player rules:

B) DESIGNATED PLAYER
The Designated Player Rule allows clubs to acquire up to three players whose salaries exceed their budget charges, with the club bearing financial responsibility for the amount of compensation above each player’s budget charge. Designated Player slots may be used to acquire players new to MLS or to retain current MLS players, subject to League approval.

In 2012, a Designated Player over the age of 23** will carry a salary budget charge of $350,000, unless the player joins his club in the middle of the season, in which case his budget charge will be $175,000.

A Designated Player 20 years old or younger** counts as $150,000 against the club’s salary budget and a Designated Player 21-23 years old counts as $200,000 against the club’s salary budget.

Clubs have the option of “buying down” the budget charge of a Designated Player with allocation money. The reduced charge may not be less than $150,000.

The budget charge for the midseason signing of a young Designated Player (23 years old and younger) is $150,000 and this amount cannot be lowered with allocation funds.

Each club has two Designated Player slots and clubs are allowed to “purchase” a third Designated Player slot for a one-time fee of $250,000 that will be dispersed in the form of allocation money to all clubs that do not have three Designated Players. Clubs will not have to buy the third DP roster slot to accommodate Designated Players 23 years old and younger.

Designated Player slots are not tradable.

** Age of player is determined by year (not date) of birth.

Not in there. So, you're the one who has to source your claim.

Reyna was not a former MLS player. Keep reaching.

Not reaching at all. I'm fairly comfortable knowing that the people in charge of the franchises know the rules...and i explained the rules as they are, and work. sorry thats not good enough for you....but acting like you've been wronged is just inaccurate.

Your poor little club would of had to pass on Dempsey anyway cause they couldn't afford him.

Smurf

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2kc8234o said:
Uncle Si":2kc8234o said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2kc8234o said:

omg i love you.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Seeing our little sister Portland getting all worked up is kinda gettin' me all hot for this soccer thing.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Smurf":22kmdi12 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":22kmdi12 said:

omg i love you.

:D
:D

Dren

Reaction score
Throwdown":31h51dqq said:
pinksheets":31h51dqq said:
Seeing our little sister Portland getting all worked up is kinda gettin' me all hot for this soccer thing.

Right?

I guess if I were them, I would be a little upset as well. But Clint Dempsey never wanted to go to Portland.