Vince Young to the Packers: 1-year deal

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Vince Young to the Packers: 1-year deal
Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:52 pm
  • ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m
    Packers to sign Vince Young to one-year deal http://wp.me/p14QSB-9eAT


    Interesting.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 19026
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • I don't understand why he's black listed in this league.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19359
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • Pehawk is vindicated! Championship fo show.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9895
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • Is Vince a more mobile QB than Rodgers?

    Just curious about this signing. Is it only because their back-ups sucked, or more?

    I dont know much about VY, other than there were issues w Titans w Fisher.
    Los Angeles Rams' fan who lives in San Diego.
    User avatar
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 826
    Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 am
    Location: San Diego


  • Honestly, I never understood why we didn't give him a shot here before Russell Wilson hit town and established himself as Russell Wilson, Quarterback of the Seattle Seahawks.

    Probably something to do with his attitude that I'm not privy to. Or maybe they're just not a huge fan.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3755
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


  • Throwdown wrote:I don't understand why he's black listed in this league.


    Phrasing.

    Also, he doesn't get a lot of attention because he's a total headcase. Very skilled, but that's not enough anymore. Not when you can draft a rookie and start them from day one without all the hassle of dealing with VY's antics.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15787
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • Throwdown's already trying to get this moved to the shack. :)

    RedAlice wrote:Is Vince a more mobile QB than Rodgers?

    Just curious about this signing. Is it only because their back-ups sucked, or more?

    I dont know much about VY, other than there were issues w Titans w Fisher.

    Well, with them losing the only good O-lineman on their team, they're expecting Rodgers to have his funeral with friends and family between weeks 6 and 8, so they need someone that can start running at the beginning of each snap to have a chance at not going 2-14 this year after Rodgers is dead.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26926
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • I feel like this is a move that will leave Vince as a third stringer, but also leave the Pack with a big Kaepernick stand in for practice leading up to week one.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 12000
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:I feel like this is a move that will leave Vince as a third stringer, but also leave the Pack with a big Kaepernick stand in for practice leading up to week one.


    I was going to say that I always knew that VY would be back, and that when the day came, it would be a decision made by a GM driven franchise. But what you said sounds a lot smarter, so I'm going with that.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11559
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • Throwdown wrote:I don't understand why he's black listed in this league.


    he's the poster boy for headcases that's why.
    Image
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    User avatar
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1813
    Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:14 pm


  • yeah but no one knows what those headcases were or WHY they actually happened. I think the dude had a poor teacher, and unfortunately didnt get along with a well respected coach. I think all he ever needed was a change. And wrongfully he was blacklisted. I think hes going to be starting somewhere next year.
    User avatar
    KEWASTEES
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 53
    Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 3:30 pm


  • RolandDeschain wrote:Throwdown's already trying to get this moved to the shack. :)

    RedAlice wrote:Is Vince a more mobile QB than Rodgers?

    Just curious about this signing. Is it only because their back-ups sucked, or more?

    I dont know much about VY, other than there were issues w Titans w Fisher.

    Well, with them losing the only good O-lineman on their team, they're expecting Rodgers to have his funeral with friends and family between weeks 6 and 8, so they need someone that can start running at the beginning of each snap to have a chance at not going 2-14 this year after Rodgers is dead.

    The Pack also had Randall Cobb go down today. It's been a brutal training camp for that team so far.
    User avatar
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 2726
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 pm


  • Yeah, I've given up all hope at the 49ers losing in week one with the news about Cobb.

    @49ers fans around here: You guys have absolutely no excuse not to manhandle the Packers. If you still win the game and it's even close, I will ridicule you. If you lose, I'd avoid this forum for a few days. :D
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26926
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • Scottemojo wrote:I feel like this is a move that will leave Vince as a third stringer, but also leave the Pack with a big Kaepernick stand in for practice leading up to week one.

    Didn't think about that but it really is as good as reason as any. Not that they had a chance even at full health. Wilth that OL hit and Cobb just forget about it.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8326
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


  • Scottemojo wrote:I feel like this is a move that will leave Vince as a third stringer, but also leave the Pack with a big Kaepernick stand in for practice leading up to week one.


    This.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3943
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • RolandDeschain wrote:Yeah, I've given up all hope at the 49ers losing in week one with the news about Cobb.

    @49ers fans around here: You guys have absolutely no excuse not to manhandle the Packers. If you still win the game and it's even close, I will ridicule you. If you lose, I'd avoid this forum for a few days. :D


    hehe

    I'm actually kinda worried about that game. Not for any reason involving talent or scheme (tho I still think Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL). I just know that team has a HUGE target on the 49ers back after being embarassed twice last year.

    The Pack will be jacked up and ready for that game and motivated for revenge.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3943
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • I am keeping an eye on a lot of injuries across the league, mostly for fantasy implications.
    Rogers and Cobb both just dropped big time.
    User avatar
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 2726
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 pm


  • Seahwkgal wrote:I am keeping an eye on a lot of injuries across the league, mostly for fantasy implications.
    Rogers and Cobb both just dropped big time.


    I heard Cobb is OK tho...no biggy.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3943
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:I heard Cobb is OK tho...no biggy.


    Doesn't matter, Rodgers will already be sacked by the time Cobb even gets jammed at the line.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26926
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • The one team beyond Arizona and Chicago that doesn't need OL injuries is Green Bay and they lose their Center for the season? That isn't good no matter know it's sliced. Ask Dallas how it is with a bad center, the quarterback gets miiddle push and it messes up the run game.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8326
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:I heard Cobb is OK tho...no biggy.


    Doesn't matter, Rodgers will already be sacked by the time Cobb even gets jammed at the line.


    I'm telling you, losing Bulaga isn't going to be that devastating, he wasn't even THAT good.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19359
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • I thought the OL who got hurt was their LT? Anyways, Cobb is not that serious yet but Jordy Nelson is dinged up too. Yikes...With Jennings gone, the only healthy one left is James Jones, who was a TD magnet last season.
    I already had Brees as my top QB for my draft anyways. I predict he has an epic season(from a fantasy perspective).
    Sorry for hijacking the thread. lol.
    User avatar
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 2726
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 pm


  • Throwdown wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:I heard Cobb is OK tho...no biggy.


    Doesn't matter, Rodgers will already be sacked by the time Cobb even gets jammed at the line.


    I'm telling you, losing Bulaga isn't going to be that devastating, he wasn't even THAT good.

    I know he wasn't good, but he was mediocre on a mediocre O-line last year, dude. That's why it's an important loss for them. Here, check out the overall grade for each of their offensive linemen per Pro Football Focus for 2012:

    Bryan Bulaga, LT: -2.8
    Josh Sitton, LG: 20.8
    Evan Dietrich-Smith, C: -0.5
    T.J. Lang, RG: 0.9
    Marshall Newhouse, RT: -2.3

    They had one good (actually 20.8 qualifies as a great year) O-lineman last year, the rest were a little under mediocre, basically. Left tackle faces the toughest competition, so yeah, it's gonna matter, dude; unless they've got someone who can perform at an average level to replace him.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26926
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • Bulaga's PFF score is basically the same as Newhouse's. If it was Newhouse hitting IR, would anyone care?
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11559
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • No one would care. Bulaga is a more known name just because people thought he might end up a Hawk and got a lot of first round eyeball. He was just as abused as anyone in the 8 sacks at the C-link. I was boggled taht they moved him to LT, but they don't have the cash for a Jake Long and didn't have the draft position for one of those top tackles in the draft.

    Ted Thompson is starting to get a first round flop reputation.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 12000
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • KEWASTEES wrote:yeah but no one knows what those headcases were or WHY they actually happened. I think the dude had a poor teacher, and unfortunately didnt get along with a well respected coach. I think all he ever needed was a change. And wrongfully he was blacklisted. I think hes going to be starting somewhere next year.


    incorrect, his antics are well documented. My brother was on the team when all that went down. The guy is a basket case.
    Image
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    User avatar
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1813
    Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:14 pm




It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online