Will Thurmond win the job over Browner...?

The Radish

Reaction score
HawkGA":fj0h58fc said:
Browner should be used like the enforcer in hockey. Bring him in to give hard checks, then sit him in the penalty box for a bit. I still love seeing the fight he got into in the Green Bay game.

That deal with Jennings wasn't it? Set the scene for the rest of the league. As I've said before after someone catches the ball all other receivers become down field blockers. No one else in the league did anything about that since Dick Butkus.

But Browner wants to give those guys something else to think about than jogging down the field so he legally knocked Jennings on his ass. It was Jennings that jumped up and ran at him ready to fight. He then did the smart thing, (of course the humor in it was a little bitty receiver going after a monster sized DB), grabbed him, protected himself without retaliating. Jennings was the one that should have gotten the penalty there.

The entire NFC hates Browner because he hits receivers within 5 yards. HIT being the primary word. Everyone else just chucks them, Browner hits them enough to screw up the timing of the play. Receivers are thinking about getting hit rather than catching the ball.

THIS IS HOW FOOTBALL SHOULD BE PLAYED!!

I have heard tho can't confirm Browner spoke with the officials and talked about how he played and thought they were giving him penaltys based on their "perception" of him doing something illegal rather than the actual fact of it. Whether its true or not notice how the penaltys directed at him have dropped off a lot since that first season?

When he's gone, it will be a loss to our team unless someone else comes along to fill his shoes. I'm hoping they manage to keep him a couple of more years with either yearly or perhaps a 2 years contract. I know he's not young by football standards but so far he's still able to do the job.

:lol:

hawker84

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":35bsais8 said:
yeah i think PC would go by the match up becuase Browner don't have Sherman's speed and agility to play against anybody. Thurmond does but he don't have Browner's physicallity so i think if the match up was say Steve Smith from the panthers you start Thurmond.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'd say Browner is the faster of the two between him and Sherm. People underestimate his speed all the time, other than Thomas, i'd say browner is the second fastest out of the starting secondary...

Schadie001

Reaction score
For those who say that Browner isn't a top 10 corner in this league, is burned to often and all the rest. I think you may change your tune once you see what the numbers say. He is ahead of Sherman in a couple categories and they call him a "star". Browner is also a great tackler, which in today's read option is a asset to have on the outside. I think Thurmond "if" healthy may press Winfield for time not Browner.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... stats-2012

seahawk 17

Reaction score
I'm sure it has already been said, but if not...WT lost his starting job to Browner due to injury.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Sherman actually replaced Thurmond when he got injured...Browner was already a starter.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
The Radish":s4qciwtx said:
HawkGA":s4qciwtx said:
Browner should be used like the enforcer in hockey. Bring him in to give hard checks, then sit him in the penalty box for a bit. I still love seeing the fight he got into in the Green Bay game.

That deal with Jennings wasn't it? Set the scene for the rest of the league. As I've said before after someone catches the ball all other receivers become down field blockers. No one else in the league did anything about that since Dick Butkus.

But Browner wants to give those guys something else to think about than jogging down the field so he legally knocked Jennings on his ass. It was Jennings that jumped up and ran at him ready to fight. He then did the smart thing, (of course the humor in it was a little bitty receiver going after a monster sized DB), grabbed him, protected himself without retaliating. Jennings was the one that should have gotten the penalty there.

The entire NFC hates Browner because he hits receivers within 5 yards. HIT being the primary word. Everyone else just chucks them, Browner hits them enough to screw up the timing of the play. Receivers are thinking about getting hit rather than catching the ball.

THIS IS HOW FOOTBALL SHOULD BE PLAYED!!

I have heard tho can't confirm Browner spoke with the officials and talked about how he played and thought they were giving him penaltys based on their "perception" of him doing something illegal rather than the actual fact of it. Whether its true or not notice how the penaltys directed at him have dropped off a lot since that first season?

When he's gone, it will be a loss to our team unless someone else comes along to fill his shoes. I'm hoping they manage to keep him a couple of more years with either yearly or perhaps a 2 years contract. I know he's not young by football standards but so far he's still able to do the job.

:lol:

This. Well said Les.

SirTed

Reaction score
It's BB for me all day.

This isn't going to be too popular but I see WT3 as Sherman's replacement. Not for lack of want on my part or the Seahawks, I just don't think they will be able to afford to pay him. Browner could very well be on his way out at that time as well, that's why it's going to be interesting to see how the Hawks handle all their current depth at DB.

What this discussion brings to mind for me is a reminder of how attached to these players I (and I think it's safe to say we) have become in just 2-3 years. I frickin' love this team. I'm going to be pretty devastated when key pieces inevitably leave (the price for having so much talent). This isn't a downer post, but just a reminder to myself and anyone who needs it that we're REALLY lucky right now, this is an extremely fun team to watch. I hope BB and WT3 have great years out there.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I can see our defensive back positions being a huge point of 'contention' for a pretty long time given Carroll's ability to identify and develop CB talent. Personally, I would rather see Thurmond used for deep coverage and Browner used for shorter coverage because it puts both players in the best position to succeed (assuming Thurmond is healthy.) There are only so many spots on the field, of course, and I agree with Montana that if Thurmond is outplaying Browner in practice, he deserves to start, however, this might be one of those cases where it's a bit of a red herring to ask which of the two when it's could be set up that we have both.

However, I also think that if Thurmond can maintain his health, he's the more likely of the two to be retained by Seattle next year.

Cartire

Reaction score
Good, i still had it.

Browners not fast?

You better check yourself.

bloggif_51f2b4876b71a.gif

mikeak

Reaction score
Thurmond is getting 1st unit reps so that we can trade him this year for good value....

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Here's a piece from Sando:

Thurmond, at his healthy best, could be the better corner. Browner's uncommon size (6-foot-4 and 220 pounds) makes him valuable as well, particularly when the Seahawks face physical receivers such as the San Francisco 49ers' Anquan Boldin. Browner has even covered 49ers tight end Vernon Davis at times.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... nd-to-have

SeaTown81

Reaction score
SirTed":1kdt34rb said:
It's BB for me all day.

This isn't going to be too popular but I see WT3 as Sherman's replacement. Not for lack of want on my part or the Seahawks, I just don't think they will be able to afford to pay him. Browner could very well be on his way out at that time as well, that's why it's going to be interesting to see how the Hawks handle all their current depth at DB.

What this discussion brings to mind for me is a reminder of how attached to these players I (and I think it's safe to say we) have become in just 2-3 years. I frickin' love this team. I'm going to be pretty devastated when key pieces inevitably leave (the price for having so much talent). This isn't a downer post, but just a reminder to myself and anyone who needs it that we're REALLY lucky right now, this is an extremely fun team to watch. I hope BB and WT3 have great years out there.

Well said. Yeah, it's not a popular thought. But it very well could be true. Sherman is setting himself up to get paid big time. And it's going to coincide with Wilson getting paid as well. I really hope we can keep Sherman. But it's definitely a possibility that the Hawks won't be able to afford him. Hope that isn't the case. But it's worth considering.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how Walter holds up this season. IF he can stay healthy he is probably our 2nd best cover CB, right behind Sherm. However, it will be tough to move BB out of the starting spot, unless his play takes a large slip.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2pvef1zm said:
Here's a piece from Sando:

Thurmond, at his healthy best, could be the better corner. Browner's uncommon size (6-foot-4 and 220 pounds) makes him valuable as well, particularly when the Seahawks face physical receivers such as the San Francisco 49ers' Anquan Boldin. Browner has even covered 49ers tight end Vernon Davis at times.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... nd-to-have
And this is what I proposed last year, that BB be our tight end coverage guy when he starts to slow down.

OreIdahawk

Reaction score
Cartire":37l0hjs1 said:
Good, i still had it.

Browners not fast?

You better check yourself.

bloggif_51f2b4876b71a.gif

I was just about to say this when I saw you post this. People really underestimate Browner's speed. I remember him running down Adrian freakin Peterson to save a touchdown!

I honestly can't believe this is even a debate. Not only has Browner proven that he is a pro bowl caliber player, he's probably (along with Kam Chancellor) played the biggest part in creating the Seahawk's physical identity on defense. It seems like some of you don't understand how amazing it is to have two physical freaks starting at cornerback. We have an advantage at the cornerback position that no team in the league can rival. Sherm and Browner absolutely bully opposing wide receivers, pressing with their unrivaled (at the CB position) size and strength. Not only does this help our safeties in coverage by giving them more time to react, it gets into the heads of the receivers and quarterback. Having 2 long corners is extremely difficult to pass against. There is very little room for error on throws because of the corner's length. I'll also add that Browner is probably the hardest hitting corner in the league.

I've never understood all the WT3 love/Browner under-appreciation around here. I remember this same thing being talked about last season. I think the fact that WT3 is a Pacific northwest prospect has some to do with it. I get that he has talent, but he has literally proven nothing on the football field to say that he should overtake Browner. Browner would have been a pro bowler again last year if it weren't for his suspension. Hmmm... Pro bowl corner? Or corner who MIGHT be good but hasn't proven a thing? I'll take the former.

This post isn't directed at anyone specifically. Just thought I should add that.