Will Thurmond win the job over Browner...?

kearly

Reaction score
Browner is probably the league's nastiest press corner, and he combines that with smart play, good awareness, a big wingspan and soft hands. He's actually pretty fast in a dead sprint too, its just that he lacks fluidity which really hurts him against quicker receivers with regards to short area quickness. Browner is also a very nice player to have in run support. Browner was a legit pro-bowler in 2011 and was even better in 2012 (disqualified - Adderall).

So it's with no disrespect when I agree with many others that Thurmond is the better of the two. Thurmond's ball skills rival Sherman's, and the rest of his game isn't terribly far behind. Maybe Thurmond really can't stay healthy, but if he does stay on the field, he's on his way to doing great things.

IIRC, Pete didn't shy away from getting his backup DBs on the field last season, even before we lost Browner. So I expect we'll see a lot of rotating at the position, and both will be 2013 contributors.

RufusPorter

Reaction score

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
kearly":16y6vwtc said:
IIRC, Pete didn't shy away from getting his backup DBs on the field last season, even before we lost Browner. So I expect we'll see a lot of rotating at the position, and both will be 2013 contributors.

From Football Outsiders (all season): http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Jeron Johnson - 13% of defensive snaps
Byron Maxwell - 14% of defensive snaps
Jeremy Lane - 16% of defensive snaps
Marcus Trufant - 35% of defensive snaps
Walter Thurmond - 7% of defensive snaps
Brandon Browner - 74% of defensive snaps

Just to give everyone an idea of how these numbers actually did bear out last year, keeping in mind injuries and suspensions.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Smaller receivers can go ahead and catch the ball, but they won't get far.

23aeff3b8f7c5bf29a27d6f4f8c84114_large

I like Thurmond, but he just doesn't strike fear into the heart of opposing receivers like Browner does.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Beeker":3cju2jcj said:
Its nice to talk about what we would like to see, or want to see, from different bench talents on this team. We happen to be so lucky as to have a lot of talent in the defensive backfield right now.

But make no mistake, only one person calling themselves a DB on this team is going to make this play:

(can't embed its the strip fumble that changed the game in Carolina last year)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap1000000078006/Browner-forces-and-recovers-fumble
Bench talent? He was once the starting corner over Sherman. I don't think Thurmond should get the nod over BB like some (I'd actually like to see him as the nickel) but he's definitely not a "bench talent".

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
All I know is if WT3 is healthy, good lord our secondary is LOADED.

SlimHawk80

Reaction score
UGotHawked":1jug4lgs said:
MontanaHawk05":1jug4lgs said:
I've never seen anything to make me believe Browner is the better corner. Better hitter, maybe, but let's not get so absorbed with the Legion of Boom that we forget the art of playing cornerback. Browner is a plus-size Big Play Babs; positive plays interspersed with getting burnt too often, rather than consistent excellence. If WT3 can offer better, he deserves the job.

I've seen one thing - HEALTH.

^ Only relevant comment.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3msysda8 said:
I would love to have thurmond be the starter and use Browner for depth behind Thurmond and Kam. I think thurmond is the better corner.

I still see Browner as an awesome SS, I know that position is filled, but..I think he would be perfect in it.

RufusPorter

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2njshe49 said:
Beeker":2njshe49 said:
Its nice to talk about what we would like to see, or want to see, from different bench talents on this team. We happen to be so lucky as to have a lot of talent in the defensive backfield right now.

But make no mistake, only one person calling themselves a DB on this team is going to make this play:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap1000000078006/Browner-forces-and-recovers-fumble
Bench talent? He was once the starting corner over Sherman. I don't think Thurmond should get the nod over BB like some (I'd actually like to see him as the nickel) but he's definitely not a "bench talent".

Then start a Thurmond over Sherman thread.

I did say we are so lucky in this regard. I've been a fan long enough to remember when it wasn't fun to talk about the DBs and who might start.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Beeker":2uxj9gsj said:
-The Glove-":2uxj9gsj said:
Beeker":2uxj9gsj said:

Then start a Thurmond over Sherman thread.

I did say we are so lucky in this regard. I've been a fan long enough to remember when it wasn't fun to talk about the DBs and who might start.
Lol what?

From the looks of it, it still isn't fun for you. Relax a bit. :grin:

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Health is relevant to any player. Thurmond could have had a run of bad luck. I think they want to see if he can hold up for a year, in case we can't resign Sherman.

I see them doing much like they are doing with the DL and LB , situation with the corners. The starter? We will see let the best player win it

Rocket

Reaction score
We haven't really seen 'Lil 'Walt play.
BB, however, is a Pro Bowler.

Remains to be seen.

SlimHawk80

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":31wdvqc2 said:
It's amazing to see so many homers jump Montana for a spot on post

Care to elaborate?

Homers or not... I'll root for whoever starts at the #2 spot. I am partial to last years look though. Just love the size of BB. WTIII has yet to stay healthy, maybe this is Walters year? Perhaps. Go Hawks

SeaTown81

Reaction score
I would love to see Thurmond beat out Browner. For a handful of reasons.

First of all, I think Thurmond is hands down a more talented player skill wise. And if he was to beat out BB, that would mean he earned it. Both guys have talent. But if realized, I feel that Thurmond's skills are the safer bet.

Browner's good. Don't get me wrong. What he brings to the Hawks' defense is key and plays a big role in them being successful. But I feel that a big portion of his success is his ability to be allowed to play extremely physical. This is something that, if a ref feels as such, can be taken away. Browner purely skill wise isn't the player we see him as. He's good. But A LOT of his game depends on being allowed to smack wr's around. That's something that quite frankly, I worry about. I've seen games like the playoff game against Washington last year where I was waiting for the following game officiating backlash. That the ref's watched the game tape and saw Browner body slamming wr's down field. And go into the next game keyed in on him, waiting to throw a flag.

Also, Thurmond is younger by about 3 or so years. If I get to pick the scenario where both players are at peak value, I want to go with the guy who isn't pushing 30.

And lastly, I think Thurmond will be much cheaper to re-sign. We all know that Richard Sherman is going to get paid BIG TIME. You can't afford to spend that much on the guy opposite him. Especially after paying big money to Kam and ET. If there is a sacrificial lamb that you can't pay amongst the LOB, it's Browner. Even if Thurmond doesn't hit it big for the Hawks, I really can't see them giving Browner that big of a contract. You can only sink in so much $ into your defense, let alone secondary.

All that said, if Thurmond doesn't clearly win the job over Browner, end of story. My post is mostly a perfect scenario hypothetical, and in that case, what I'd prefer. Thurmond's got talent. But dude's got a long ways to go to prove he can stay healthy.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Jordan... If thurmond wins the job and can stay healthy he will cost us more to resign then Browner for all the reasons you posted.

Browner won't have much value on the open market as imo he is only a fit on our team and has Earl there to cover his deficiencies.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Thurmond has been impressive when we've got to see him play, problem is that it isn't too much.
I would love for him to beat out browner, but I would hate to have to decide between the two if it came down to it.
I honestly think Thurmond is a special talent.

kobebryant

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":12dtdlgb said:
I've never seen anything to make me believe Browner is the better corner. .

I have. Starts, INTs, PDs, FFs,TFLs and a probowl.

I don't think any of us have seen enough of Thurmond in live game action to rationally suggest that he is a probowl caliber player; that is optimism taken slightly too far.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3j3lb9gr said:
Wow, you guys are harsh on Browner...Pro Bowl Browner
Yep, just goes to show ya that some around here couldn't run things like Pete does.
Why do you think Pete put Browner back into action, as soon as he was available last Season?, because of Browners intimidating style of play.
His size, and aggression DOES matter to those playing against him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kobebryant":3se4hs6t said:
MontanaHawk05":3se4hs6t said:
I've never seen anything to make me believe Browner is the better corner. .

I have. Starts, INTs, PDs, FFs,TFLs and a probowl.

I don't think any of us have seen enough of Thurmond in live game action to rationally suggest that he is a probowl caliber player; that is optimism taken slightly too far.
THIS!