Sources: Clint Dempsey to Sounders

Smurf

Reaction score
That match is going to be insane. Dempsey's Home Debut, Timbers vs Sounders, ECS vs TA, 67,000 people....That is going to be an incredible, historical match.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Not a big soccer fan, but this is a HUGE get for the Sounders. Like the Hawks the Sounders org seems to be run very well and they always seem to do the right thing. I'm happy for the Sounders fans! :th2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1ivgrmbn said:
That match is going to be insane. Dempsey's Home Debut, Timbers vs Sounders, ECS vs TA, 67,000 people....That is going to be an incredible, historical match.

ECS v TA? Is it a battle of acronyms? The ECS will GAO v TA to get the TKO ASAP

Good lord I'm hilarious

Anyways should be fun. Good night to showcase the MLS

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
All I have to say is: I hope this wastes all sorts of money and time for the Sounders.

Carry on, gents.

Edit: It's beginning to look like the MLS ignored it's own rules and passed over the Timbers' rights. So, a potential big middle finger to them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":151w5ks7 said:
All I have to say is: I hope this wastes all sorts of money and time for the Sounders.

Carry on, gents.

Edit: It's beginning to look like the MLS ignored it's own rules and passed over the Timbers' rights. So, a potential big middle finger to them.

There are some similarities beginning to arise between the MLS now and the NASL that faltered in the mid 80s

usc17hawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":qa1pgx55 said:

Carry on, gents.

Accusing the MLS of ignoring their own rules in this case is incorrect. Dempsey is a Designated Player and therefore not subject to the allocation process. So, as much as opposing fans would like to vilify the Sounders for this coup, there's no legitimate basis for doing so.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
usc17hawk":2wlihte3 said:
Sarlacc83":2wlihte3 said:

Carry on, gents.

Accusing the MLS of ignoring their own rules in this case is incorrect. Dempsey is a Designated Player and therefore not subject to the allocation process. So, as much as opposing fans would like to vilify the Sounders for this coup, there's no legitimate basis for doing so.

You're going to have to show where that is in the rules, because Clint Dempsey is a former MLS player coming from abroad, so as the rules are written, he should go through the allocation process. See below.

http://www.onceametro.com/2013/8/3/4584 ... smell-test

Edit: Follow up read: http://www.onceametro.com/2013/8/4/4588 ... ill-stinks

Furthermore, by ignoring this rule, as it's been pointed out to me, it also means Seattle gets to keep its #2 position in the allocation line.

Just as disconcerting:

http://bigquestionshow.com/2013/08/05/h ... uncovered/

I'd hate to see the MLS screw itself because of this kind of favoritism.

usc17hawk

Reaction score
Is it also possible that the Timbers could not afford to pay the transfer fee?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
usc17hawk":2a4w4rmc said:
Is it also possible that the Timbers could not afford to pay the transfer fee?

That's possible. But if that's the case, then why would they let their dire rival have the transfer for free? They'd expect compensation from a non-rival, let alone the Sounders, and it's possible they'd deal the rights to another team that's not an immediate threat for a double whammy. Also, it depends on how accurate the third linked article is when it comes to the transfer fee.

usc17hawk

Reaction score
According to SI, they're viewing the Claudio Reyna to New York deal in 2006. I've been looking for more detail on that one, but have been unable to find it.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":q5klmvmy said:
Smurf":q5klmvmy said:

Good lord I'm hilarious

Emerald City Supporters and Timbers Army...the two largest supporters groups in the US.

Smurf

Reaction score
Also, the league has already set the precedent for breaking its own rules, or making things up on the fly, to better the sport in the league....

Primary Example: David Beckham.

I rest my case.

Is it shady? Yuuup. Is is a raw deal for the Timbers....DAMN RIGHT IT IS.....but they deserve it.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Smurf":o8w8mnpy said:
Also, the league has already set the precedent for breaking its own rules, or making things up on the fly, to better the sport in the league....

I rest my case.

Is it shady? Yuuup. Is is a raw deal for the Timbers....DAMN RIGHT IT IS.....but they deserve it.

To the tune *Oh My Darling Clementine*

Build a bonfire

Build a bonfire

With Seattle on the top

With Vancouver in the middle

Then we'll burn the [bloody] lot.

:twisted:

Smurf

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":rshuojej said:
So the Sounders are the New York Yankees of soccer??????

LA Galaxy are the New York Yankees of Soccer.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":34lb6sdc said:
Smurf":34lb6sdc said:

I rest my case.

To the tune *Oh My Darling Clementine*

Build a bonfire

Build a bonfire

With Seattle on the top

With Vancouver in the middle

Then we'll burn the [bloody] lot.

:twisted:

As usual, Seattle is on top.

:D

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":29fgznm6 said:
Uncle Si":29fgznm6 said:
Smurf":29fgznm6 said:

Good lord I'm hilarious

Emerald City Supporters and Timbers Army...the two largest supporters groups in the US.

Smurf you've educated us all on the supporter groups over the years and the carnival atmosphere they've created.... I was surprised you mentioned them as a significant part of match build up. What will the other 60000 people do?

Just messing with you. Enjoy it. Should be amazing

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3qzmd1do said:
Smurf":3qzmd1do said:
Uncle Si":3qzmd1do said:

Good lord I'm hilarious

Smurf you've educated us all on the supporter groups over the years and the carnival atmosphere they've created.... I was surprised you mentioned them as a significant part of match build up. What will the other 60000 people do?

Just messing with you. Enjoy it. Should be amazing

Its going to be so beautiful i expect grown men to be in tears by the end (some good, some bad).