Johnny Manziel = Tebow 2.0, with issues

SharkHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1wejdbv5 said:
I've heard the same stories, through the same channels, girls who dated Pac-12 QB's.

And Shark, no offense, but I find it pretty alarming you're hanging out with SEC types. Even if by default and via 3rd person.

You're a MWC/WAC guy, and specifically a Utah man (although it is VERY SEC to marry the only sister in Utah). You guys play and watch football for honor, not money or loose women. I want to hear what John Beck's like, not Eric Zier, Shark.

Kay?

XOXO

Jimmer Fredette

You're close Jimmer's Shorter Evil Twin... I LIVE in Utah, but I'm all Federal Way... School District No. 210 buddy. You can take a kid out of that dump, but you can't take that dump out of a kid. I would still be shooting bundled bottle rockets we bought on the rez into the lakefront houses and sinking people's boats and watching my friends get hammered for fun if my parents hadn't made an endrun out of there for all the right reasons when they did.

Beck is an interesting guy, and I could seriously write a book on him. The big story about him was he cried a lot. That was true. The knock on him from scouts was that he had a "weak arm", which was absolute bunk. Beck had a freaking cannon. He could throw the ball 70 yards easily. Watch the last play he makes against Utah and the throw he nails off of his back foot and across his body to Jonny Harline in the endzone. Maybe 5 QB's in the college ranks could have made that throw, and he was one. But, he got rattled easy. He was always a little too worried about what people thought. He was a quiet leader. He wasn't Steve Young or Ty Detmer or Jim MacMahon, who all panned out in the NFL (Detmer to a lesser extent, but he played a long time when most people said he never would at all, and he even made a probowl). Those guys would grab facemasks and yell at a guy to get his f-ing head in the game or he wouldn't ever see a ball again. Watching Detmer from the front row against Miami when I was 17 was THE game that taught me everything about football that just somehow slipped past me through lack of good coaching and lack of a fundamental understanding of what I was even doing on the field due to poor coaches and a limited interest in anything besides hitting into people hard. You saw one guy (this little QB who was way smaller than me) grabbing 300 pounders and saying, "block that M------- F------ or I will personally kick your ass!" Vintage stuff. But I put a lot more emphasis on watching QB's after that day.

The reason I know a lot about Georgia and Florida is because I played softball for a long time, and was only a class "C" rated USSSA player, but that is not too bad. C players are usually former college players and high school lettermen."D" and "E" players are considered 'recreational'. So "C" guys can play up one and play "B" which I did a few times, or play down one and play "D", which I did a lot and it was too easy. "B" is former minor leaguers and college division 1 baseball players. "A" or "Super Majors" (depending on sanctioning body) are restricted 'paid' ringers and former MLB players. Some guys are fully banned from playing slowpitch due to the liability issues. Like Jose Canseco decided to play slowpitch against guys I know when he was narcing on everybody for juicing, and the next day he was on the restricted list, but his brother Ozzie got placed on "A" or "Supermajors".

Softball is weird and yet as all consuming and absolutely addicting as any drug. I've seen more families and lives ruined over slowpitch softball than I have over drugs, robberies, and infidelity (although that is the massive huge issue due to constant weekend travel and drunken debauchery) combined. Weird world. I'm glad I checked out of it a few years ago after my spine exploded and they couldn't rebuild my ankle for a fourth time. If not for that, I'd probably be living in Florida playing full time in the 40+ right now and getting paid by some company to 'work in IT' and play on their team like I did through college. Ringing is fun. But it is no way to live a life. I'm glad I'm a crippled mess with a wife and two kids and a nice home and a place to just die peacefully. It's good.

So yeah... I'll watch the WAC/MWC and whatever is left of them and enjoy it and report back. BYU is independent now, but it's really a joke, because they are in the West Coast with Gonzaga and Pepperdine and others for every other sport now (sticking with the religious schools I guess), and then play MWC/WAC teams most of the season, but aren't bogged down with the conference TV deal anymore. So that's a bonus, but it's hard to build a schedule. Utah State will likely surpass them in quality within 5-10 years at this rate. Utah is far and above BYU now that they are in the PAC 8 (yes, I insist on calling them that... traitorous AZ schools jumping on the WAC like they did... bastards).

My alma mater is Utah Valley University, and we officially joined the WAC this month, which is excellent. We have the facilities...we still have no football program. But I'm working on that. Baseball and basketball will likely surpass BYU consistently within 10 years as well due to our young alumni base that likes to fundraise and let the athletic department do their job instead of the way the Cougar Club runs. It's pathetic. Old whiteys telling the coaches to play their nephews or they'll stop giving money. What a joke. Glad BYU's hoops coach (Dave Rose) tells them to shove it, as does Bronco... but they'll be gone and get replaced with yes men soon enough.

So yeah... go UVU. Hopefully I'll get the aquatic center built and named after my grandma as I'm working on. It's a hard slog, but it's starting off ok. I've got people talking. That's a start. My grandma is the best swimmer in state history and beat the US Olympic team when they came to town. She beat the gold medalist by about 6 lengths according to the stories, and was named the best athlete from 1900-1950 (all men and women) at one of the 4 Salt Lake City high schools. She was up against a few NFL and NBA and MLB and pro boxers. She was that damn good, and I hope we get the pool built in her name at UVU.

I'm dying. So I don't post much. That's why you're getting big gobs of bullcrap out of me. I write when I can. Then sleep it off for 3-5 days. Laterz all.

sc85sis

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3czdun1b said:
Hey, I love Manziel on the field. I'm just worried he has too much Leinart in him. I'd love to see him succeed though. I was just congratulating English on the royal birth today. I'm sure he's lighting up cigars and such.

I never heard that Leinart showed up late or was (allegedly) hung over and couldn't play/practice. Matt was a partier, but it never affected his work as far as I'm aware.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":2wuj5brt said:
JSeahawks":2wuj5brt said:
Hey, I love Manziel on the field. I'm just worried he has too much Leinart in him. I'd love to see him succeed though. I was just congratulating English on the royal birth today. I'm sure he's lighting up cigars and such.

I never heard that Leinart showed up late or was (allegedly) hung over and couldn't play/practice. Matt was a partier, but it never affected his work as far as I'm aware.

Haven't heard that Manziel showed up late or was hung over and couldn't play/practice with HIS team, which is all that matters.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
All this crap he is pulling means one thing: Manziel is a throwback to a bygone era. Favre had party issues. Namath had party issues.

The kid is a g'dam freshman. let him grow up and see if his football continues to develop.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Pretty revealing article to come out about Manziel next week in ESPN the magazine. Guess its pretty bad for him. Like I said....dude has issues, Ryan Leaf issues.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I think I have changed my opinion about Manziel. I read the story espn did about him and his family ... huhmmm ....
Dude and his family really have issues. Real attitude issues. These people don't live in the same world as most of us.
I still believe he is an above average talent and can really be a productive player in the NFL. But his head is not in the right place for the demands of the NFL. I wouldn't go as far as comparing him to Ryan Leaf, but ... dude is very high maintenance and will demand a baby sitter to even perform basic things. I might imagine his career more like Jimmy Clausen than to a Ryan Leaf.
Why people push to give him the Heisman Trophy after one single good game is simply beyond me.

Joe

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
This should be fun.....
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... autographs

MIAMI -- The NCAA is investigating whether Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel was paid for signing hundreds of autographs on photos and sports memorabilia in January, "Outside the Lines" has learned. Two sources tell "Outside the Lines" that the Texas A&M quarterback agreed to sign memorabilia in exchange for a five-figure flat fee during his trip to Miami for the Discover BCS National Championship. Both sources said they witnessed the signing, though neither saw the actual exchange of money.

Three sources said Manziel signed photographs, footballs, mini football helmets and other items at the request of an autograph broker named Drew Tieman. Two sources, who are aware of the signing arrangement, told "Outside the Lines" that Tieman approached Manziel on Jan. 6, when he landed at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport to attend the game between Alabama and Notre Dame the next day.

After that meeting, three sources said, Manziel, accompanied by his friend and personal assistant Nathan Fitch, visited Tieman's residence and signed hundreds of items in the main room of the apartment despite the fact that there were many people in the room. Before Manziel left South Florida, after taking in the title game, he signed hundreds of autographs more, one source said.

The source also told "Outside the Lines" that James Garland, the NCAA's assistant director of enforcement, in June contacted Tieman and at least one person associated with the signings. The source said Garland, who did not return calls from "Outside the Lines" for comment, told the person that he wanted to talk about Manziel signing items that had appeared for sale on eBay. An NCAA spokeswoman cited NCAA policy to "Outside the Lines" and declined to comment.

If the NCAA investigation finds that Manziel has violated NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.1 -- accepting money for promoting or advertising the commercial sale of a product or service -- he could be ruled ineligible.

Attempts to reach Manziel were unsuccessful. Tieman did not return multiple calls and text messages. Fitch could not be reached.

In a statement, Jason Cook, Texas A&M's senior associate athletics director for external affairs, said "it is Texas A&M's longstanding practice not to respond to such questions concerning specific student-athletes."

Texas A&M declined further comment.

But A&M has responded to questions about Manziel and autographs before. On March 6, when ESPN.com contacted the school's compliance director, David Batson, to address a slew of Manziel-signed items that had flooded the memorabilia market, Batson provided a statement:

"Johnny has indicated on numerous occasions and, once again earlier today, that he has never (and to his knowledge, his parents, other relatives and friends have ever) been compensated through cash or other benefits or promises of deferred compensation for providing his autograph," Batson wrote.

While college athletes are frequently asked to sign autographs in public places, and those autographs often end up for sale on eBay, the amount of Manziel product that flooded the memorabilia market overall following the BCS title game was overwhelming, memorabilia dealers told "Outside the Lines."

While Manziel's father, Paul, had alleged that many of the items were fake, two of the leading autograph authentication companies, PSA/DNA and JSA, have authenticated many of the items. Officials with both companies have told ESPN in recent months that they stand by their guarantee that they believe the signatures, some with inscriptions like "Gig 'Em" and "Heisman '12" are genuine. Online verification databases show a single lot of 999 signed Manziel photos numbered sequentially. JSA authenticated 248 items and 376 items that came in in two batches that also are numbered sequentially. Industry insiders say this indicates the signings were done in large quantities intended for wholesale.

Calls and messages to Paul Manziel were not returned.

Even though Manziel is not allowed to generate income from his signature, the Manziel family has sought to protect Johnny's business affairs by starting a corporation, JMAN2 Enterprises, which in February filed for the trademark to use "Johnny Football" when he was ready to leave the college game.

The value of Manziel is clear in the memorabilia and appearance market: Independent merchandiser Aggieland Outfitters recently auctioned off six helmets signed by Manziel and Texas A&M's other Heisman Trophy winner, John David Crow, for $81,000. Texas A&M's booster organization, the 12th Man Foundation, sold a table for six, where Manziel and Crow will sit at the team's Kickoff Dinner later this month, for $20,000.

The school has committed to renovating Kyle Field, which will push seating capacity to 102,500 by the time it is completed in 2015. Texas A&M officials have said that donors, who make annual contributions of $80,000 to $100,000, have purchased all but two of the 144 suites in the stadium.

In the school's first year in the SEC last season, Manziel led the Aggies to an 11-2 season and a top-five finish for the first time since 1956. He and his teammates are scheduled to report Sunday afternoon for the 2013-14 season. He is scheduled to address the media Monday.

Manziel's offseason has drawn heavy media scrutiny. In the past few months, he has been spotted in the front row at NBA games, hanging out with rappers at bars, and has written various headline-starting tweets, including one in which he said he couldn't wait to leave College Station -- the home of Texas A&M. He also was sent home early from the Manning Passing Academy last month.

Paul Manziel recently told ESPN The Magazine that he doesn't like how the school hasn't protected the family from the NCAA and how he believes that school administrators put their motives above his son's well-being.

"It's starting to get under our skin," he said. "They're so selfish."

Manziel also acknowledged that he was concerned about his son's drinking and how he is dealing with celebrity.

"Yeah, it could all come unraveled," Johnny's father told The Magazine. "And when it does, it's gonna be bad. Real bad."

Justine Gubar is a producer in ESPN's enterprise unit.

Dawgs0

Reaction score
The dude is going to be a sophomore in college and people on here want to act like he's a 30-40 year old guy. Let the man have some fun while he can. LOL.

The fact that he likes to party and have fun (like any college student) has had no negative affect on his performance on the field to this point, so it doesn't matter at all. IMO, he can do whatever he likes (legally) unless it negatively affect his performance.

I don't see what the problem is, but you guys can hate all you want and he'll continue to shred your teams defense. I'm a UW student and fan, but Johnny football is awesome and I'd love to have him starting for the Dawgs.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Like the guy above me said. He's going to be a Sophomore in college, that would make him what 19 years old? Like we really did do all that crap in college (or in my case way worse).

Not every college QB is Russell Wilson.

I think the only thing I disagree with is the possibility that he was trying to profit from autographs. Again it's still alleged. It's wrong because it's against the NCAA rules and he should know better if he did. From a personal stand point, I think profiting from autograph signings may be one of the only things college players should be allowed to profit from. Maybe the NCAA should figure out other ways to get players money without destroying the system...I dunno, they can do advertising for the school (i.e. some car commercial), school/NCAA gets the major profits, but they get paid $30/hour for their time while "working" something that isn't practice/game.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Dawgs0":ygfddlux said:
The dude is going to be a sophomore in college and people on here want to act like he's a 30-40 year old guy. Let the man have some fun while he can. LOL.

If I see this one more time, I might have to go on a Manziel-style drinking binge myself.

If Johnny Manziel wants the excuse of being a young college sophomore with a penchant for partying, that is fine. He can quit football and be a normal student. If he wants to be a first round pick, be paid millions of dollars and the face of a franchise, he's going to need to mature very, very quickly. It may be too late already.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3u129wya said:
Dawgs0":3u129wya said:

If I see this one more time, I might have to go on a Manziel-style drinking binge myself.

If Johnny Manziel wants the excuse of being a young college sophomore with a penchant for partying, that is fine. He can quit football and be a normal student. If he wants to be a first round pick, be paid millions of dollars and the face of a franchise, he's going to need to mature very, very quickly. It may be too late already.
:13: This is his job interview and he is pissing it away....as expected though. Some guys are not smart enough to realize the opportunity they have.

Dawgs0

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":uvu10we8 said:
Dawgs0":uvu10we8 said:

So when Colin Kaepernick is going out and having fun and partying, it's stopped him from having success? LOL. Or is Kaepernick not a face of a franchise?

These guys are athletes not CEOs. What they do off the field, has very little bearing on their success. Partying is normal, even for NFL players.

You act like you can only be a great player if you have a Russell Wilson type attitude. That's not the case.

If Manziel continues to play great on the field, nobody will care what he does off the field. Nobody. "Off the field" has nothing to do with "on the field".

If Manziel continues to get better "on the field" and plays well, then he'll "be a first round pick, be paid millions of dollars and the face of a franchise".

CPHawk

Reaction score
Dawgs0":6gp7m2mt said:
theENGLISHseahawk":6gp7m2mt said:
Dawgs0":6gp7m2mt said:

So when Colin Kaepernick is going out and having fun and partying, it's stopped him from having success? LOL. Or is Kaepernick not a face of a franchise?

These guys are athletes not CEOs. What they do off the field, has very little bearing on their success. Partying is normal, even for NFL players.

You act like you can only be a great player if you have a Russell Wilson type attitude. That's not the case.

If Manziel continues to play great on the field, nobody will care what he does off the field. Nobody. "Off the field" has nothing to do with "on the field".

If Manziel continues to get better "on the field" and plays well, then he'll "be a first round pick, be paid millions of dollars and the face of a franchise".

Yeah, because Kapp is showing up late to practice and other obligations. And he's under age. It's not even close, but continue to make excuses for JM.

Snohomie

Reaction score
While partying isn't a big deal in general, there's more scrutiny for QBs. They're expected to be leaders on and off the field. With holding the football every play comes greater responsibility. Still, it's not a big deal if your QB likes to party as long as they prioritize football over all else.

Problem with Manziel, I don't get that vibe from him. I think he wants to live life and have a blast. I commend him for that. But it isn't what I want in my franchise QB - the fewer interests outside of football, the better. Now, that's just from the same articles that everyone else has read.

What's interesting about Manziel is that even though he doesn't have a first round body or arm, he showed incredible feel the game (in addition to excellent athletic ability) and that makes him worth a 1st round consideration - but does he have that feel for football because of natural ability, or because he is the hardest working guy at A&M and the (untrustworthy when it comes to shaping the narrative) media showing us the wrong side of him? If he isn't obsessed with football, it is hard to see him making it in a league where better athletes with better work ethics fail.

Dawgs0

Reaction score
CPHawk":39i0ji32 said:
Yeah, because Kapp is showing up late to practice and other obligations. And he's under age. It's not even close, but continue to make excuses for JM.

So Manziel is the first college student to drink and party under age? Damn. LOL. That's what many college kids (and football players) do, if you didn't know (especially as an Oregon fan). Haha.

Kaepernick parties and he's a face of the franchise qb. Manziel's partying has had no affect on his play, which is all that matters.

Haven't heard that Manziel showed up late to practice with Texas A&M, which is all that matters. The Manning Camp doesn't matter. It means nothing.

Continue to baselessly attack Manziel if it makes you feel better, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a Heisman winner and he's enjoying his life and having success. What he's done has had no affect on his success, which is all that matters.

He hasn't killed someone or committed a felony. He's a college student acting like a college student. Let the man live his life in peace. BTW, just to let you know: He doesn't care about what you think of him.

Dawgs0

Reaction score
Snohomie":2du50bmn said:
While partying isn't a big deal in general, there's more scrutiny for QBs. They're expected to be leaders on and off the field. With holding the football every play comes greater responsibility. Still, it's not a big deal if your QB likes to party as long as they prioritize football over all else.

Problem with Manziel, I don't get that vibe from him. I think he wants to live life and have a blast. I commend him for that. But it isn't what I want in my franchise QB - the fewer interests outside of football, the better. Now, that's just from the same articles that everyone else has read.

What's interesting about Manziel is that even though he doesn't have a first round body or arm, he showed incredible feel the game (in addition to excellent athletic ability) and that makes him worth a 1st round consideration - but does he have that feel for football because of natural ability, or because he is the hardest working guy at A&M and the (untrustworthy when it comes to shaping the narrative) media showing us the wrong side of him? If he isn't obsessed with football, it is hard to see him making it in a league where better athletes with better work ethics fail.

I think Manziel is a Colin Kaepernick type of guy, where he wants to have fun outside of football. Even as a Seahawk fan I like watching those types of guys, because they're not boring off the field. Russell Wilson is a great football player, but he seems like a really boring dude off the field. Extremely serious, etc. He has nothing except football to talk about. Even Hass was a funny dude sometimes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you don't want players to have fun outside of football. Football is a profession, a job. It's not necessarily an athlete's whole life. You can be committed to and prioritize football, which Manziel and Kaepernick are, and have fun outside of the game.

There's obviously a line you can't cross, where you're committing crimes and putting your team in jeopardy, but Manziel hasn't committed a serious crime or felony. He's just had some fun, like a normal college kid. He's partied off the field, while having success. IMO, there's nothing wrong with that.

I mean partying didn't stop Manziel from leading his team to a BCS bowl win and winning the Heisman. Partying didn't stop Kaepernick from leading his team to the Super Bowl. You can be good at football and also have a fun life and party. They're not mutually exclusive.

You don't have to watch film all day to be a great player. You don't have to sit in the facility, reading the playbook the whole day to be good at football. I guess we have different perspectives on what football players need to do to be successful.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Dawgs0":ekjin79h said:
CPHawk":ekjin79h said:

So Manziel is the first college student to drink and party under age? Damn. LOL. That's what many college kids (and football players) do, if you didn't know (especially as an Oregon fan). Haha.

Kaepernick parties and he's a face of the franchise qb. Manziel's partying has had no affect on his play, which is all that matters.

Haven't heard that Manziel showed up late to practice with Texas A&M, which is all that matters. The Manning Camp doesn't matter. It means nothing.

Continue to baselessly attack Manziel if it makes you feel better, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a Heisman winner and he's enjoying his life and having success. What he's done has had no affect on his success, which is all that matters.

He hasn't killed someone or committed a felony. He's a college student acting like a college student. Let the man live his life in peace. BTW, just to let you know: He doesn't care about what you think of him.

He can party and have fun, but he's being a jackass about it. It's funny the whole " he's just a student" bit. He's not "just" a student, but keep saying it it might change the fact that he's a lot more then that. He represents the Texas A&M, and is paid with a free education to do so. Do you think an equipment manger who did this crap, would still get to keep his job? No. But he is just a student as well, but one who gets his school paid for, for doing a job, same as little Johnny.

It's pretty funny how UW fans forget that thanks to a Qb shenanigans, they got placed on probation. But hey players "are just students", that's why the NCAA won't let them get jobs or sell stuff that's signed. I'm pretty sure the NCAA wouldn't care if joe bob in math 235 sold stuff he signed.

Dawgs0

Reaction score
CPHawk":i3kt0yon said:
He can party and have fun, but he's being a jackass about it. It's funny the whole " he's just a student" bit. He's not "just" a student, but keep saying it it might change the fact that he's a lot more then that. He represents the Texas A&M, and is paid with a free education to do so. Do you think an equipment manger who did this crap, would still get to keep his job? No. But he is just a student as well, but one who gets his school paid for, for doing a job, same as little Johnny.

It's pretty funny how UW fans forget that thanks to a Qb shenanigans, they got placed on probation. But hey players "are just students", that's why the NCAA won't let them get jobs or sell stuff that's signed. I'm pretty sure the NCAA wouldn't care if joe bob in math 235 sold stuff he signed.

How is he acting like a jackass? What crap? What has he done out of the ordinary? He's JUST a college student having fun. That's what many college kids do. He hasn't committed a felony or a serious crime. Do you actually understand that? Damn. LOL.

There is nothing he's done that would warrant getting as mad as you appear to be. Haha. There are far worse, illegal things he could do, that would warrant your anger. You should know, with all of the Oregon players getting in far more legal trouble than Manziel has ever been in. Cliff Harris? Jeremiah Masoli? Kiko Alonso? Etc. Too many to name. LOL.

So what has Johnny Manziel done that's much different from guys like Kaepernick? Having fun and partying isn't a crime. Continue to hate on a dude wanting to live his life and have fun. It doesn't change the fact that you CAN have fun and do well on the field at the same time, like Kaepernick and Manziel have proven. Like I said, they are not mutually exclusive.

BTW, do you really believe that Manziel is worth just "a scholarship"? He gives much more to A&M than A&M gives to him. The NCAA is a complete fraud and the fact those rules exist doesn't mean it's right. Manziel is the most valuable player in the college game and as you know he's worth much, much more than a scholarship. He's worth thousands and likely millions to A&M and the NCAA. The fraud known as the NCAA is not compensating him or any other athlete fairly. That's not his fault.