2013 Summer Soccer Transfer Talk

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Cdallan....

I got you. I think we are hitting on the same thing. I'm just trying to point out the absurdity in the speculation over the actual reality.

Truth is Suarez is most likely gone. Arsenal seem to be the club that want him the most but that deal seems out of character for them while threatening Liverpools attempt at top 4

Hell.... He will probably be a Gunner in the end. The hell do I know (I just like messing with Gate... But seriously I will be kissed)

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":v8z6nhja said:
BTW.... If (if) Suarez decides he wants to go to court (Which he won't) no judge is going to rule against his own signing of the contract. Regardless if the Arsenal press in London believe he was mislead verbally (which again is ridiculous... Someone may have mislead Wenger though) he signed his contract. Those tend to be quite binding...

Time to move forward Gate. Is Arsenal doing anything this window? Its been a strange summer for them

Just forget talking about Suarez for now. Cause, one thing I can never agree with is that there's Arsenal press in London or England(John Cross seems to be about the closest you get) every paper seems to be against Arsenal. I said countless times last year, Arsenal grinds out a 1-0(or have a winning margin of 1 goal) and the papers say Arsenal didn't deserve to win or they lucked out, clubs like Man U, City or Chelsea do the same thing and get praised and their wins are called something like "performance of a champion".

Also about the transfers, I do think they'll eventually sign somebody, whether it's a big name like Suarez(as an example Si, no need to go on a rant about that) or a affordable player who does have decent quality, I don't know which it would end up being. And when I say affordable player with quality, I'd mean someone like Podolski and Giroud as those guys were well worth what Arsenal paid for them last season. I'm not gonna be a cynical dick like probably 51% of Arsenal fans who'd rather boo a player who we were linked with but didn't sign(especially when it's not his fault, nor Arsenal's, he's not on our squad) or make stupid threats that they'll likely not follow through with. I'm waiting till the end of the window to judge Arsenal's transfer business.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gate... I'd love it if all of Arsenal would forget about Suarez

In the end I've no more of a clue than anyone else.... I just know the press is ridiculous in their speculation regarding any transfers.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
So who is our striker to start the season with if Sturridge is still recovering? Borini? :/ Would love for him to go on loan to Watford if we could afford to be without him him. Italian manager and players, think he'd score a lot in the championship.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":p1ih68rk said:
InSuarezWeTrust":p1ih68rk said:
So who is our striker to start the season with if Sturridge is still recovering? Borini? :/ Would love for him to go on loan to Watford if we could afford to be without him him. Italian manager and players, think he'd score a lot in the championship.

Costa. Probably paired with Aspas and Coutinho tucked in behind them. Then a midfield of Gerrard, Sterling/Ibe, Henderson/Allen.

And that's good enough. Without Costa its good enough... But word has it Sturridge is ahead of schedule. 50-50 right now he plays against Stoke. Might go up by next week

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
iFLEVsZ1Yt17D.gif

Question of the day: Penalty or Dive?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2th6s4z2 said:
Answer - doesn't matter, it's a preseason friendly.

Didn't you see Gates post about how no one likes Arsenal though? (BTW our own Brendan finally making a mockery of Arsenal and Wengers lack of class in their pursuit of Suarez. ... Tis business but still nice for the manager to address it)

Its a dive Gate... Poor by the player and poor by the ref.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1qj6kow7 said:
Didn't you see Gates post about how no one likes Arsenal though?

Let's be honsst here, there's not really a lot to like.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":m0q1o033 said:

That last person is actually why I'm so upset with it. It's a preseason friendly, why do anything that cheap and pathetic?

Uncle Si":m0q1o033 said:
our own Brendan finally making a mockery of Arsenal and Wengers lack of class in their pursuit of Suarez. ... Tis business but still nice for the manager to address it

Okay, you're gonna have to explain exactly what Arsenal has done in this transfer saga that would count as "classless". Because all I've seen is Rodgers make ridiculous statements like "Suarez is worth as much as Cavani", and now it's "Suarez is worth 100m", and then there's Liverpool's owner who decides to comment on Arsenal's bid with "What are they smoking at Emirates?"

Arsenal in the meantime, have not said anything about this until a few days ago. The players haven't even mentioned Suarez by name, when asked about possible transfers, until this past week and Wenger has avoided questions about him until this past weekend.

So go ahead with your "all knowing knowledge" that you claim to have over mine. What classless thing did Arsenal do?

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":8ojh2hp2 said:
Massively under bidding a clubs superstar. How about we bid 8,000,001 for Cazorla?

Okay if that's the case, we have 2 extremely different views on what "classless" actually means.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":12x18dxf said:
peachesenregalia":12x18dxf said:

That last person is actually why I'm so upset with it. It's a preseason friendly, why do anything that cheap and pathetic?

Uncle Si":12x18dxf said:
our own Brendan finally making a mockery of Arsenal and Wengers lack of class in their pursuit of Suarez. ... Tis business but still nice for the manager to address it

Okay, you're gonna have to explain exactly what Arsenal has done in this transfer saga that would count as "classless". Because all I've seen is Rodgers make ridiculous statements like "Suarez is worth as much as Cavani", and now it's "Suarez is worth 100m", and then there's Liverpool's owner who decides to comment on Arsenal's bid with "What are they smoking at Emirates?"

Arsenal in the meantime, have not said anything about this until a few days ago. The players haven't even mentioned Suarez by name, when asked about possible transfers, until this past week and Wenger has avoided questions about him until this past weekend.

So go ahead with your "all knowing knowledge" that you claim to have over mine. What classless thing did Arsenal do?

Tapping up player in regards to transfer. That ridiculous one pound extra bid. And now Wilshere publicly speaking about Suarez. Classless.

Explain to me how Suarez isn't worth as much as cavani? Because he bit someone? Grow up Peter pan. And whether you believe he us or isn't is immaterial. He's a Liverpool player. We want this much for him.

Its not all knowing hotshot. Pretty common knowledge in honesty. And now the Liverpool manager has finally said something on it.

Look like I said.... Its business. And its ruthless. Not going to sit here and discuss the merits of what you feel is classless and what isn't it. But you made an underwhelming bid. Was rejected. You added one pound more. That's effing classless. Call it "cheeky" if you want.
The owner felt it stupid enough to address it with a tweet about it. You want the player? Meet the valuation. Don't add one pound to a poor bid.

Arsenal look stupid at the moment. Have a different opinion? Save it Gate. We will never agree on this. You obviously can't see beyond Arsenals side on it. But I can't bear another moan from you.

Jesus you were about to lose it on a dive in a friendly (which you lost. Arsenal can't even win a fake preseason trophy. And don't you guys host this one?)

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1oqctaqj said:
Gatehawk":1oqctaqj said:
Uncle Si":1oqctaqj said:

Tapping up player in regards to transfer. That ridiculous one pound extra bid. And now Wilshere publicly speaking about Suarez. Classless.

Explain to me how Suarez isn't worth as much as cavani? Because he bit someone? Grow up Peter pan. And whether you believe he us or isn't is immaterial. He's a Liverpool player. We want this much for him.

Its not all knowing hotshot. Pretty common knowledge in honesty. And now the Liverpool manager has finally said something on it.

Look like I said.... Its business. And its ruthless. Not going to sit here and discuss the merits of what you feel is classless and what isn't it. But you made an underwhelming bid. Was rejected. You added one pound more. That's effing classless. Call it "cheeky" if you want.
The owner felt it stupid enough to address it with a tweet about it. You want the player? Meet the valuation. Don't add one pound to a poor bid.

Arsenal look stupid at the moment. Have a different opinion? Save it Gate. We will never agree on this. You obviously can't see beyond Arsenals side on it. But I can't bear another moan from you.

Jesus you were about to lose it on a dive in a friendly (which you lost. Arsenal can't even win a fake preseason trophy. And don't you guys host this one?)

All Wilshere has said was that he would like to have a player like Suarez on Arsenal. Doesn't seem classless to me. I also haven't seen anything that makes it sound like Arsenal tapped up with Suarez. Oh and want to read something interesting? Here's what Rodgers said:

"I've got to say I've always associated ARSENAL as a club with class and so there was a wee bit of a game there. For us, it's about moving on and doing our own work."

and here's what Wenger said about Suarez

"I don't want to speak about Suarez, because that is between Liverpool and Arsenal. We will completely respect what Liverpool wants to do. We want to (sign the player) if it is feasible in an amicable way."

Who's being classless again?

And about why I don't think Suarez is worth 55 million? I said it before, I wouldn't want to buy a sports car with a history of engine troubles, crashes, etc. You guys are free to think he's worth 55 million with all the past behavior problems, I've pointed it out that I agree that his talent alone is worth the 55m, but he's got that rap sheet of past issues and that wouldn't make him worth that much in my eyes, that's a massive gamble on a player who at any moment could lose his mind and get suspended for important runs in the season.

This whole saga is embarrassing to both sides and I'd rather it be done and over with sooner than later.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Yeah we saw your analogy earlier.... Brilliant.

You don't see adding an extra pound to a rejected bid as classless? Again brilliant

Don't get me wrong... It was funny. But still....

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2u6p2mxa said:

You don't see adding an extra pound to a rejected bid as classless? Again brilliant

It's my understanding that the extra pound was to ensure that clause(whatever it was) was activated.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":fgtjxmmu said:
Uncle Si":fgtjxmmu said:

It's my understanding that the extra pound was to ensure that clause(whatever it was) was activated.

A clause that Arsenal would not know of unless they had spoken to the player or his agent.

Just make a competitive bid. Obviously Arsenal rate the player but they had to know he's worth more. That bid was a cheap move.

Again its business. Class is for the handshake after the game. If Liverpool had made that bid I'd think the same as you. But I think you'd be skipping puppies off a bridge if someone pulled that crap with Arsenal. Think how upset you were with the Fabregas fiasco

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Re: Suarez - There's no way Liverpool should sell to Arsenal. They've as good as told Arsenal this as well, so until Arsenal offer a ridiculous fee for him they should keep quiet. However, Liverpool can not sell their best player to another team in this league, especially one who are on roughly the same tier (I'm sure Rogers et al think that they can realistically have a chance to finish above Arsenal, anyway).

Tapping up is doing my nut in, especially the glee with which the media here are anticipating one of the few remaining legitimate stars left in the league disappearing off to Spain. Sure, it might be a big story when the player's agent calls you to say that Bale wants to leave Spurs and play for Madrid, but they really shouldn't be trying to pimp the best players in the league to another one with such vim and vigour (if you ask me). In almost every report in the papers/Sky Spurs are being presented as the bad guys when as far as I can tell Real had multiple articles in Marca about Bale wanting to come and Madrid's impending bid, numerous players talking about how great Bale would be for the club (and vice versa), Ancelotti talking about Bale's impending arrival, all before any bid had been made.

Having convinced myself that Bale to Madrid was inevitable (it probably is), I'm beginning to think that the club is less than impressed with a) any of this bollocks mentioned above, and b) any bids that have actually been received and that he might stay. Another factor may be that Real may well be offering the cash over 5-10 years, as they are already in about half a billion euros debt and their benefactors, the government, isn't in the best shape to be throwing sums like 100 million around. I also think that the club see Bale as being worth a heck of a lot more to them in marketing revenue than any other player they've ever had and will only sell if they think they come out on top. But obviously playing in Madrid at the Bernabeu has got to be a pretty massive draw for a 24 year old and I couldn't really blame Bale for wanting to go there, but I think the way the club (and his agent leaking Bale's discontent and desire to move to anyone who'll listen) are going about this they might be scuppering any hopes of a deal. I still think Bale's gone and there'll be new faces at the Lane, but I certainly think there are a number of factors at work that may see him, reluctantly or not, stay at the Lane.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I just gotta say this right now. I gotta think the resentment and "classless Arsenal" remarks have more to do with a couple of reason.

1) Arsenal refuse to offer what Liverpool want.
2) Liverpool are doing everything to keep a guy who might actually not want to stay there.
3) Reds fans are more worried that this could turn into "Fernando Torres Part 2", where you sell a key player and replace him with an expensive bench warmer(granted they did also signed Suarez with Carroll).
4) The fear that him going to Arsenal could push the Gunners to ending their trophy drought and Liverpool into the bottom half of the table(or worse, relegation, which I doubt would actually happen with Gerrard there).
5) People still hoping that Madrid(or another European powerhouse) would come in and take Suarez at the last second, so he doesn't stay in England. But that one's looking less and less likely every passing hour.

I do understand that Liverpool fans are upset at this, I mean damn, me and other Gooners were in this same position a year ago with that backstabbing Judas Van P***y. I can't fault you guys for not liking the idea of Suarez to Arsenal. Let's face it, Liverpool don't want to sell him for the amount Arsenal are offering, and Arsenal clearly don't want to take a £55 million+ gamble on a player who could wind up suspended for any number of games if he let his behavior fly out the window. This has basically become a game of chicken, and neither side wants to back down yet.