Let's Talk Mariners

Chapow

Reaction score
I would just like to congratulate the M's bullpen on an absolutely special performance.

I mean God damn, it takes a really special kind of suck to blow that.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I actually felt sorry for Felix when they announced he re-upped with the M's. Gonna be the same ol BS til Lincoln and Nintendo guy is gone. I refuse to even watch til they're gone.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Just when you think they're turning things around, BLAM. Hit a new low.

m0ng0

Reaction score
-The Glove-":14j6geg2 said:
I actually felt sorry for Felix when they announced he re-upped with the M's. Gonna be the same ol BS til Lincoln and Nintendo guy is gone. I refuse to even watch til they're gone.

and people wonder why seattle is the worst sports city in the country :D

kearly

Reaction score
I remember when the Mariners made history by losing a game in which they led by 12 runs with 3 innings to go. That game included a 5 run bottom of the 9th which forced extra innings, where they eventually lost. That loss was in 2001, and it would ironically be enough to cost them win #117.

I didn't think I'd ever see a bigger meltdown by a Mariners bullpen, but I think tonight takes the cake. They allowed 6 runs in the 9th, and it would have been at least a couple more had the final double been played out (it was in the air forever, and would have likely cleared the bases). There was just one out, too. Had Seattle led by 10, it's conceivable they might have lost even then. Stunning.

In fairness, I thought all three pitchers were getting squeezed horribly by the umpire, especially Medina who had a no-doubter strike 3 on the 2nd to last batter, who would later reach base. If the ump calls that strike, who knows how the rest of the game turns out. Seattle had a 1 run lead and would have just needed one more out to escape with the win. I'd bet that if the ump had called a better strike zone that inning, Seattle might have won comfortably. Wilhelmsen is so shaky that it doesn't take much for him to spiral out of control. He's kind of become the new Brandon Morrow as closer.

Hawker

Reaction score
^^^ Well said. Brandon Morrow 2.0 ^^^

So much frustration harbored inside of me at this point, with Wilhelmson. Comfortable leads often and yet he struggles dearly to find his first-pitch strike ability. Ghaaahhh.

jkitsune

Reaction score
On the bright side, relievers are much easier to find than starters, the Mariners have three young starters nearing the big leagues, and their young hitting is starting to pick up....

Gotta find a bright side after that. Yeesh.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Pryor could be our closer once he gets back and hopefully stays healthy.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Isn't it so typically Mariners to play great for a couple weeks prior to the deadline, just to keep the team from trading away any of it's assets. And then to subsequently fall on it's face the minute the trade deadline passes.

I saw Chuck Armstrong today. I had to use every ounce of restraint to not walk up to him and scream uncontrollably.

I hate my baseball team. I look forward to the day it is sold to new ownership the same as I look forward to the Hawks winning a Super Bowl or he SuperSonics returning.

JOz56

Reaction score
SeaTown81":2tq9hh52 said:
Isn't it so typically Mariners to play great for a couple weeks prior to the deadline, just to keep the team from trading away any of it's assets. And then to subsequently fall on it's face the minute the trade deadline passes.

I hate my baseball team. I look forward to the day it is sold to new ownership the same as I look forward to the Hawks winning a Super Bowl or he SuperSonics returning.

Yup. Absolutely maddening. I dunno how Felix hasn't delivered a round of nutshots yet. He has to be getting sick of not getting any help. People at my work keep talking about firing Jack Z and starting all over. But nothing will matter until we get an ownership who cares about the team.

jkitsune

Reaction score
SeaTown81":39ducojj said:

I saw Chuck Armstrong today. I had to use every ounce of restraint to not walk up to him and scream uncontrollably.

Being a Mariners fan has got to be one of the hardest fandoms in the world. Right up there with being a Browns fan, IMO. Totally agree.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
jkitsune":1hnx7h73 said:
SeaTown81":1hnx7h73 said:

Being a Mariners fan has got to be one of the hardest fandoms in the world. Right up there with being a Browns fan, IMO. Totally agree.

I don't blame the ownership. Sure, they care about having a profitable franchise, but that is true for all but a select few team owners. It's not like they're purposefully fielding crap teams, and up until the end of the Bavasi era they had no problem shelling out enough dough to make sure the M's fielded a top 10 payroll. You don't do that if you don't care about wins. Their biggest downfall is hiring idiot GM's. They aren't alone there. Even great owners with great intentions succumb to that pitfall.

Bavasi ran this team into the dirt. Jack Z isn't nearly as bad, but it's getting clearer every day that he's a scout, not a GM. He's turned one of the MLB's worst farm systems into one of the MLB's best. Hopefully after this season Armstrong thanks him for that and then hires someone who can translate that minor league talent into major league wins.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
m0ng0":3loutnv6 said:
-The Glove-":3loutnv6 said:

and people wonder why seattle is the worst sports city in the country :D

It isn't because of the Mariners, I tell you that. That FO is a joke.

m0ng0

Reaction score
hahaha just an innocent jab at big brother is all :D the FO is what it is, the players got no control over that and quite honestly they are growing and getting better. As a baseball fan thats all I really care about, if they win all the better if they don't? oh well I am still a fan.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
m0ng0":2il8fdnq said:
hahaha just an innocent jab at big brother is all :D the FO is what it is, the players got no control over that and quite honestly they are growing and getting better. As a baseball fan thats all I really care about, if they win all the better if they don't? oh well I am still a fan.

Well said....

mretrade

Reaction score
I saw my Mariners beat the Orioles and take the series live at camden yards this afternoon. Never thought Henry Blanco would be the deciding factor lol.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Taijuan Walker gets the start on Friday and Zunino is back ! Should be interesting.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
m0ng0":1o6ukmvd said:
Taijuan Walker gets the start on Friday and Zunino is back ! Should be interesting.

Is it in Everett or over that Rainers ballpark?