Sources: Clint Dempsey to Sounders

Fox0r

Reaction score
I briefly scanned other topics and didn't see this. Not a huge soccer fan, but this sounds like big news.

The Seattle Sounders and Tottenham Hotspur are finalizing the transfer of U.S. national team star Clint Dempsey, who is expected to be introduced as the newest Sounder as early as Saturday, multiple sources told ESPNFC.com.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/15124 ... ay?cc=5901

Seahawksfan425

Reaction score
big_bang_theory_hyperventilating-1332520751.gif

SeatownJay

Reaction score
This would be huge for Seattle. My question is, does he replace Martins alongside EJ or will they find some way to get all three on the field at the same time?

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Even during the height of the rumor frenzy I didn't believe this could happen. I mean, this is Clint Freakin' Dempsey. But AWWWWWWWWYEAH!

Throwdown

Reaction score
Can someone make a comparison for me? Is he like the LeBron James of US soccer or something?

Seahawksfan425

Reaction score
Throwdown":mxjzhi80 said:
Can someone make a comparison for me? Is he like the LeBron James of US soccer or something?

[youtube]ky0tT5uJF0U[/youtube]

[youtube]ArBu5Vwi9Ek[/youtube]

Smurf

Reaction score
He's the captain of our Country....doesn't get much bigger than that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Nice. The addition of Dempsey is great but there are stil holes in the midfield, defense, and at goalkeeper (unless Gspurning comes back). Martins, Johnson, and Dempsey would be a formidable front. However, Martins may be hurt therefore necessitating the acquisition of Dempsey. He was on the ground for awhile during the final minutes of the last game. He did come back but maybe he re-tweaked something. He's had some health issues all season.

davidonmi

Reaction score
never been a huge soccer fan, only really watched the US team, but I know this is gigantic and maybe this will get me truly into the sounders, which I haven't been since year 1

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
hawkfan68":eg8sgdt1 said:
Nice. The addition of Dempsey is great but there are stil holes in the midfield, defense, and at goalkeeper (unless Gspurning comes back). Martins, Johnson, and Dempsey would be a formidable front. However, Martins may be hurt therefore necessitating the acquisition of Dempsey. He was on the ground for awhile during the final minutes of the last game. He did come back but maybe he re-tweaked something. He's had some health issues all season.

Pulling off a move for Clint Freakin' Dempsey means it's been happening for awhile behind the scenes. It has nothing to do with Martins. And Hanneman is supposedly back and healthy at goalkeeper, so he's quality. We'll see what happens on defense, but I think Dempsey will at least facilitate a little more possession, and honestly the sounders have needed a play-maker in the middle for a long time. It's a hole filled, IMO.

Edit: Deal is supposedly 4 years, 32 million with a 9 million dollar transfer fee. Holy Snikeys! Expect his face to be all over ads both nationally and locally for the foreseeable future.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
What a signing for the Sounders and MLS. This must mean the end of EJ. He is on a cheap contract Hurtado makes more than him), has barely played this season and has not done great when partnered with Martins.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Dempsey vs Donavan
Sounders vs Galaxy
Older vs Younger
Old leader vs new Leader of the US National Team
... and so on and so on ...
Sounds like MLS wants to make a splash ...

knownone

Reaction score
For those wondering Dempsey fits more as CAM/LM than a forward, so in theory Oba and EJ will not be affected by his arrival.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1hxe6z0h said:
What a signing for the Sounders and MLS. This must mean the end of EJ. He is on a cheap contract Hurtado makes more than him), has barely played this season and has not done great when partnered with Martins.
Not sure where you get the "barely played" bit. He's played, and started, 12 of Seattle's 19 games. And most of the ones he's missed have been because he's been with the National Team.

Smurf

Reaction score
Dempsey will play mostly at LM, CAM and a little bit underneath the forwards. He's a very versatile, flexible player.

Also, he and EJ are huge friends off the field. Could have been some recruiting going on.

Storts

Reaction score
It's amusing watching you got so excited about Dempsey.

Not too disappointed he's leaving us, surprised he's going back to the MLS at this stage of his career