2013 Summer Soccer Transfer Talk

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":2yvfjms3 said:
Gatehawk":2yvfjms3 said:
Is anyone else getting more and more confused by the day about the whole Suarez thing. I mean I'm just flat out confused about what that clause that Arsenal activated actually says, one side says it's a release clause, another says it's a clause that give Suarez permission to discuss terms with another club, and another says it's a clause that obligates Liverpool to tell Suarez that someone made a bid for him.

Nothing to be confused about, it's unlikely there is a release clause. Offer 55 million pounds or take a hike and sign some french middle schoolers.

Sure, give Liverpool the same amount that Napoli got for Cavani even though Cavani has no problems, while Suarez has all those past incidents. I don't think I said this on here but I compared Suarez to a sports car with a history of traffic violations and crashes.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I should also point out that there's talk that Suarez is pissed at Liverpool as he was, apparently, told that he would be allowed to leave the Reds if a Champions League club came in with a 35 million pound bid.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Some reports here that fee for Bale has been agreed at £105m + Coentrao with the money being paid in an upfront lump sum. If so....wow. Thanks Gareth! Deal aided by Ronaldo heading back to United for £80m. Sounds pretty far fetched but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":3ds55nmb said:
I should also point out that there's talk that Suarez is pissed at Liverpool as he was, apparently, told that he would be allowed to leave the Reds if a Champions League club came in with a 35 million pound bid.

Nope... Signed a fresh contract and the club has made it clear they aren't selling him.... At least to Arsenal.

If you get confused just listen to the people who actually make the decisions and not sky sports and the Mail

55 million... No one cares if Arsenal fans think its fair. We don't want to sell anyway

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3la6xsim said:
http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/08/liverpool-in-22m-bid-for-brazilian-forward-diego-costa/

I mean...we were definitely in need of attacking options last year, when Borini was injured/shite and Suares was suspended. I think this is a good move either way. Insurance incase we lose Suarez, and gives us a wealth of options to deal with any Suarez injuries or suspensions, and gives us a really strong front three in Suarez, Costa and Sturridge, but just not sure all three could see the field all the time. Coutinho, Gerrard and probably Allen will all want to see the field, with guys like Lucas, Sterling, Aspas, Alberto, etc. all seeking playing time. Better to have too many than too few, though.

Costa/Muriel, Ericksen/Bernard, Papa and the left back...

4 weeks left

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3hi93s9u said:
Uncle Si":3hi93s9u said:
peachesenregalia":3hi93s9u said:
http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/08/liverpool-in-22m-bid-for-brazilian-forward-diego-costa/

I mean...we were definitely in need of attacking options last year, when Borini was injured/shite and Suares was suspended. I think this is a good move either way. Insurance incase we lose Suarez, and gives us a wealth of options to deal with any Suarez injuries or suspensions, and gives us a really strong front three in Suarez, Costa and Sturridge, but just not sure all three could see the field all the time. Coutinho, Gerrard and probably Allen will all want to see the field, with guys like Lucas, Sterling, Aspas, Alberto, etc. all seeking playing time. Better to have too many than too few, though.

Costa/Muriel, Ericksen/Bernard, Papa and the left back...

4 weeks left

i honestly don't want Ericksen at this point. He's a dedicated CAM, and that means they'll move Coutinho out wide, where I feel like his talent will be somewhat wasted. If we get papa and Cissokho, and keep Suarez, i'll be well chuffed with this summer's business.

Ericksen underneath Coutinho. Gerrards successor.... Then papa a lb and Costa. Keep Suarez and light a bag full of poop on fire and leave it on Gates doorstep

Best. Summer. Ever.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":vuadjpcv said:
Erickson underneath Coutinho would be a waste. Erickson doesn't control a midfield like Stevie does, he's always looking to get forward and link up, Closer to Jari Litmanen than Stevie. I just think it would be a waste. It looks like we're going with three strikers up top, Costa, Suarez and Sturridge, with Aspas and Borini for cover, then Coutino, Gerrard and either Sterling, Ibe or Alberto in the middle. Happy to have plenty of options, I guess.

He's just 22... We need to fill that midfield. If its not ericksen someone needs to step in. Alberto is for the future. Im not willing to pin the season on a 33 year old Gerrard, the inevitable Lucas injury and the inconsistency of Henderson and Allen

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2tss8lyu said:
Gatehawk":2tss8lyu said:

Nope... Signed a fresh contract and the club has made it clear they aren't selling him.... At least to Arsenal.

If you get confused just listen to the people who actually make the decisions and not sky sports and the Mail

55 million... No one cares if Arsenal fans think its fair. We don't want to sell anyway

Well what about BBC?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23550760

I'm now under the impression that there is a misunderstanding between Liverpool and everyone else(namely Suarez and Arsenal). I now think that that clause is what Liverpool claims it to be, but the way they explained it to Suarez when he signed the contract left him with the thought that the clause was an outright release clause.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":90qzq3h6 said:
Uncle Si":90qzq3h6 said:
Gatehawk":90qzq3h6 said:

Well what about BBC?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23550760

I'm now under the impression that there is a misunderstanding between Liverpool and everyone else(namely Suarez and Arsenal). I now think that that clause is what Liverpool claims it to be, but the way they explained it to Suarez when he signed the contract left him with the thought that the clause was an outright release clause.

I'm under the impression you get easily confused by reality and sports media...

He's not going to Arsenal. Everyone at Liverpool has made it quite clear. What you have there is a story to wind up Arsenal fans

Let's review..

Someone assumes Suarez will file a transfer request ( which he won't because of the lost wages) and repeats and inside info without fact

This precedes a story about Wenger "assuring" his arsenal fans he's trying to get Suarez but Liverpool just won't budge... And oh don't worry about Spurs and Soldado. He wouldn't make it here at the Emirates.

Start seeing this for what it is Gate...your managers playing games with you again.

While Wenger is trying to be "amicable" Liverpool have already told him to get stuffed

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
All I know is that IF Suarez does leave Liverpool, it's gonna be for Arsenal. Madrid just seem to be more interested Gareth Bale to me.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
I think Arsenal just has more fun counting their gold, cause they don't have any silver. Suarez to Spain or nowhere, the end.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":14m50a61 said:
I think Arsenal just has more fun counting their gold, cause they don't have any silver. Suarez to Spain or nowhere, the end.

I just don't see anyone other than Arsenal interested in Suarez right now. That's all I see. Like I said, Real Madrid seem more concerned with attempting to get Gareth Bale and unless that falls flat and they give up on their pursuit of him, they won't be going after Suarez.

Either Liverpool sells him now, waits till later and start getting lowball offers later in the window from other clubs that might spring up in interest, or just keep a guy who, at least from the games I've seen, has looked almost completely uninterested in playing for Liverpool during the preseason. It's Liverpool's choice.

Smurf

Reaction score
With the signing of Dempsey I think the sounders have outspent arsenal to this point...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":3mmdvyob said:

I do agree. I know what you're saying Gate and agree, but it doesn't recognize the power position Real is in.

They know Liverpool won't sell to Arsenal. They can afford to wait a bit to see if Liverpool gets anxious and come in with a smaller bid.

Suarez is a gamer Gate. He will do whatever to takes to win regardless of who he plays for. Dont get too wrapped up in twitter pics of an "unhappy" player

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I didn't say it was twitter pictures that I saw. BeIn Sport aired the matches I was referring to.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":11lmwe6i said:
I didn't say it was twitter pictures that I saw. BeIn Sport aired the matches I was referring to.

So to be clear you catch him coming in late on in two friendlies against small international sides after a month of play and because he doesn't celebrate an own goal or clip the heels of some Thai kid he's on a moan and wants to leave? Stop playing the game Gate. I've got faith you're better than this.

BTW.... If (if) Suarez decides he wants to go to court (Which he won't) no judge is going to rule against his own signing of the contract. Regardless if the Arsenal press in London believe he was mislead verbally (which again is ridiculous... Someone may have mislead Wenger though) he signed his contract. Those tend to be quite binding...

Time to move forward Gate. Is Arsenal doing anything this window? Its been a strange summer for them

cdallan

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3dhg6c1i said:
Gatehawk":3dhg6c1i said:

So to be clear you catch him coming in late on in two friendlies against small international sides after a month of play and because he doesn't celebrate an own goal or clip the heels of some Thai kid he's on a moan and wants to leave? Stop playing the game Gate. I've got faith you're better than this.

BTW.... If (if) Suarez decides he wants to go to court (Which he won't) no judge is going to rule against his own signing of the contract. Regardless if the Arsenal press in London believe he was mislead verbally (which again is ridiculous... Someone may have mislead Wenger though) he signed his contract. Those tend to be quite binding...

Time to move forward Gate. Is Arsenal doing anything this window? Its been a strange summer for them

1 - you a legal expert now? You haven't seen the contract and you are sure you know how it would be interpreted?

2 - your statement is wrong, as contracts can be struck down due to various circumstances surrounding their entry.

3- it might not be a matter of taking it to court, many contracts in football provide for reference being made to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne.

4 - the CAS could choose to take an approach similar to the Bosman case by considering EU rules preventing restraint of trade

5 - if Suarez REALLY wanted a move, he could achieve it by taking a contractual ambiguity and pursuing it as a means of (a) justifying his non-performance of his contract with Liverpool, and (b) giving himself leverage. Otherwise, why even put it out in the public forum? Just saying.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
As much a legal expert as the idiots at BBC guessing about Suarez intentions based on a Wenger presser. To that I guess I'm as much an expert in body language as the same morons who think Suarez is moaning when he doesn't smile

To your points.... The Bosman rule doesn't apply here. And while Suarez is more than legally capable if drawing this to court the fact remains no court is to going to force Liverpool to invalidate his contract. Could they enforce a misunderstanding in a provision? Perhaps but the legal wrangling and embarrassment for all involved would make it a ridiculous venture.

Am I wrong? I don't think so in this case. Could it become some courtroom drama? In that sense yes.

cdallan

Reaction score
There is a lot of speculation in the papers, but nobody seems to be saying that there is a release clause, instead a clause that has a differing interpretation. Liverpool seem to be saying that the clause requires them to tell Suarez when a bid is made for him, which is a pointless clause as any formal bid gets reported on any relevant media outlet. Suarez's people seem to be saying that the clause allows them to discuss personal terms with any club that bids the relevant amount, which is extremely strange as players under contract are prohibited from such discussions until the last 6 months of their contract.

Bottom line, they wouldn't have put something like that in unless they were asked, and they probably tried to fudge the issue by putting in wording which each side is interpreting how they wish, which gives rise to this issue which is their own creation. And presumably Suarez's people made Arsenal aware of the clause.

I never said anything about Bosman applying, but the same principles could apply. EU law has a number if fundamental principles, including freedom of movement and freedom of trade. The registration of players pre-Bosman was judged incompatible with these laws. A court could always interpret Suarez's contract in a way so as to make it consistent with these principles. That is why every Spanish player contract has a release clause.

Latest posts