Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Cartire":2rztjv29 said:
oasis":2rztjv29 said:
Dunno if this was posted before on this thread, but Peter King says Kam Chancellor played through a similar injury. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5197/percy-harvin
I don't know about you guys but that doesn't sound promising to me. Kam seemed pretty hampered.

Although on the other side, playing SS can be more taxing than a receiver who can go in and out of rotation.

kamhit.gif

Kam seemed fine to me...

Kam himself said it DID affect his play. It would affect Percy even more.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
sutz":3adsmgx9 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":3adsmgx9 said:
LawHawk":3adsmgx9 said:
The concerning thing is the number of media outlets reporting that the Seahawks docs say he can play. Harvin's people would never leak that, so there's only one way that can be leaked - by Seahawks folks. They want the public pressure on him to play. They want him feeling like everyone expects him to play. If the Seahawks thought he shouldn't play, and they needed to "protect their investment," every leak would be "Seahawks doctors adamant that Harvin needs surgery and risks worsening injury/delaying recovery by practicing/playing."

Unless...

That's exactly what they WANT you to think... :bitenails:

:D
Have you been engaging in battles of wit with Sicilians again? :)

HA! You must have suspected I would know about Percy's injury, so I can clearly not choose the labrum in front of me. :D

Cartire

Reaction score
Largent80":23fdh7dc said:
What I do not understand is why it will take almost a full week to get this second opinion.

Evidently money can NOT speed up procedure.

Because he is seeing the top doctor in this field in NY. Star Athletes arent the only one with money when dealing with the top expert. They cant just push the other rich guys out of there appointment slots so easily. They found out Wed in Seattle, and had a booked appointment with the guy for 5 days later. Thats still pretty impressive.

warden

Reaction score
Cartire":1yydrirp said:
oasis":1yydrirp said:
Dunno if this was posted before on this thread, but Peter King says Kam Chancellor played through a similar injury. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5197/percy-harvin
I don't know about you guys but that doesn't sound promising to me. Kam seemed pretty hampered.

Although on the other side, playing SS can be more taxing than a receiver who can go in and out of rotation.

kamhit.gif

Kam seemed fine to me...

Pete Carroll in his presser also mentioned that Kam had something similar last year.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
When you say " they found out" are you referring to the Hawks or are you referring to Harvin and his people? Who asked for the second opinion and just as importantly what exactly was the first opinion?

There is a lot we don't know here. What we do know is that some one knew something BEfore Wednesday because by league rule a player can't be placed on PUP if he has practiced at all OR if it is a non football related injury.

This suggests what ever injury Harvin has came with him from Minnesota and should have been vetted before now.

Or that all this is precautionary.

Cartire

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3jv7sh71 said:
When you say " they found out" are you referring to the Hawks or are you referring to Harvin and his people? Who asked for the second opinion and just as importantly what exactly was the first opinion?

There is a lot we don't know here. What we do know is that some one knew something BEfore Wednesday because by league rule a player can't be placed on PUP if he has practiced at all OR if it is a non football related injury.

This suggests what ever injury Harvin has came with him from Minnesota and should have been vetted before now.

Or that all this is precautionary.

They cant practice in Training camp to be placed on pup. Which started on Thursday. The team had physicals on Wed and Harvin complained of pain in his hip which then was MRI'd at the facility that Wed. He was placed on the PUP as a result of the findings. From what sources are saying, the team did not suggest surgery. Its not known who requested the second opinion.

Regardless, he was placed on the PUP officially as of thursday morning before the first team practice. So the ailment wasnt necessarily known prior.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Did kam have any procedure done to fix his hip or did it just heal on its own?

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Pretty sure Percy is up to his usual bullshit. I don't really care, so long as he plays hard when he does play, and doesn't serve as a distraction to the rest of the team.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Seaswab":72jzkcoz said:

Kam didn't have a hip issue, he had foot surgery to correct something right after our season was over.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
OkieHawk":7nz67e3o said:
Seaswab":7nz67e3o said:

Kam didn't have a hip issue.

Sorry sir, but you are incorrect. Kam did have a hip issue....something similar to Harvin just last season and played through it. Pete Carroll has said so in a few different interviews. I'll go with Pete.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
So you are going with the ailment wasn't known by anyone until the team physical picked it up? The team might not have been aware but Harvin had to have been aware. How did he have a football related injury before camp? I have read that the hip injury being described is either the result of an impact or of an arthritic hip. when did he last have a football related impact? I hope the guy wants to play football.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
he apparently tweaked it working out on his own about 8-10 days ago. Sounds like it was sore but he didn't think it was a big deal.

Then when camp was about to start and it was still sore he probably mentioned it to the team; and they are very quick and cautious b ecuase they don't want him to go out and start practicing because that keeps him from being able to go on pre-season PUP.

My guess is it's minor and he will play through it, with the best case scenario being it's a minor enough issue that it's healed up pretty good by week 2.

mretrade

Reaction score
The doctor he is seeing is only a few blocks away from my apartment.

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
Hip injuries can be very tricky. Sometimes they heal on their own and the doctors only issue crutches to lessen the stress. Othertimes, it's a surgery that requires a long recover... if they ever fully recover. Surely it's not that or he woulda already had surgery.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Wasn't a hip injury the thing that ended Bo Jackson's career? Best to get a 2nd opinion in any case

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Jackson's career ended because of a dislocated hip, similar to what Ravens TE Dennis Pitta just suffered yesterday. Harvin's injury is much less severe, though it could potentially become more serious if not treated correctly. I don't blame Harvin for wanting to be careful.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Is it Tuesday yet? Even read this piece on Seahawks.com and wondered if they accidentally on purpose tried to tell us something.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... fc2d8a5fb1

No one has to explain his situation to Bryan Walters, a former option quarterback at Kirkland’s Juanita High School who is trying to make it with the Seahawks as a wide receiver. Walters is smart enough to know that he needs to make the most of any and every opportunity that comes his way.

And that’s exactly what he did today, when Walters produced first downs on three of his five receptions.

“Got to capitalize on the opportunities, especially when you’re in a spot like me,” Walters said.

And that spot would be playing behind starters Sidney Rice and Golden Tate, as well as slot receiver Doug Baldwin, at a position where the team has 12 receivers when only five or six will be carried on the 53-man roster with another one or two being signed to the practice squad.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2it64bw7 said:
Jackson's career ended because of a dislocated hip, similar to what Ravens TE Dennis Pitta just suffered yesterday. Harvin's injury is much less severe, though it could potentially become more serious if not treated correctly. I don't blame Harvin for wanting to be careful.

Jackon's injury was more freakish than that. He actually ripped the joint out of his hip which cut off the blood supply to the bone and caused Avascular necrosis. He had to get his hip replaced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avascular_necrosis

CANHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2b0g2c6b said:
Shadowhawk":2b0g2c6b said:

Jackon's injury was more freakish than that. He actually ripped the joint out of his hip which cut off the blood supply to the bone and caused Avascular necrosis. He had to get his hip replaced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avascular_necrosis

That injury was actually a testament to how freakishly strong Bo Jackson actually was. They said anyone else would have just been tackled, but Bo's other leg was so strong and the defender had such a good grip on his foot, that the weakest point was actually Bo's hip socket.

So gross. I get the willies just thinking about it...

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Happypuppy":23chlagn said:
Wasn't a hip injury the thing that ended Bo Jackson's career? Best to get a 2nd opinion in any case
Naw naw naw. Bo got his hip ripped completely out of the socket by a linebacker during a game. This is nothing like that. An injury like that is an instant retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.